Why become a member? ×

Active 2x12.....am i insane?

jaythemusicguy

Hey folks.....

Here's the situation. Have space issues in my house, and don't play all that often any more; and I love the ashdown sound i get from my RPM1.
However my plans to save up and buy a new ABM combo are all but over as I can't shift my rack with the RPM1 and a Hartke HA4000 in it.

I have a few gigs coming up and my options for borrowing a cab/amps have dried up and i can't really afford the expense of a short term hire.

Is it crazy to consider building an active 2x12 in the style of the Aguilar GS212 to use as a cab?

Using the ideas i've picked up and the pictures i've seen from the DIY thread and this one
[post="0"]active cab link[/post]

I have electronics and wood experts (namely my old man and his BT engineer friend who has built PA systems) willing to help.

Is this a good short term option? Or does anyone know anyone who fancies an RPM1 and a HA4000? lol

Cheers fellas

J

Edited by jaythemusicguy

[quote name='jaythemusicguy' post='418635' date='Feb 24 2009, 06:36 PM']Hey folks.....

Here's the situation. Have space issues in my house, and don't play all that often any more; and I love the ashdown sound i get from my RPM1.
However my plans to save up and buy a new ABM combo are all but over as I can't shift my rack with the RPM1 and a Hartke HA4000 in it.

I have a few gigs coming up and my options for borrowing a cab/amps have dried up and i can't really afford the expense of a short term hire.

Is it crazy to consider building an active 2x12 in the style of the Aguilar GS212 to use as a cab?

Using the ideas i've picked up and the pictures i've seen from the DIY thread and this one
[post="0"]active cab link[/post]

I have electronics and wood experts (namely my old man and his BT engineer friend who has built PA systems) willing to help.

Is this a good short term option? Or does anyone know anyone who fancies an RPM1 and a HA4000? lol

Cheers fellas

J[/quote]

Easy, buy / build your 2x12 then buy one of these

[url="http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/ClassD/ClassD.htm"]http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/ClassD/ClassD.htm[/url] . Literally cut the hole in the cab, wire up the speaker terminals and the screw the module in place. Al the power and input options are taken care of on the face panel.. And for 600W??? Thats very cheap!

I owned one and it was brilliant. I'm actually thinking of getting another for my GS112. I made the mistake of selling the first one! DOH!!!

BK are extremely good, by the way.. but there are other companies out there making modules that you could buy, such as Hypex and ColdAmp.

[quote name='dood' post='419398' date='Feb 25 2009, 04:35 PM']Easy, buy / build your 2x12 then buy one of these

[url="http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/ClassD/ClassD.htm"]http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/ClassD/ClassD.htm[/url] .[/quote]

yep, i'm afraid that unit is not longer made.. if it was, i'd own several.. ;)

A Markbass 12" or 15" combo is well worth thinking about if size weight are important. Light enough to carry in one hand, loud enough for most small-medium gigs, and you can add an extension cab for later gigs. It might be a bit too clean sounding for your tastes, but I dirty mine up with a VT Bass pedal when I need to! I got my CMD121P for £500 second hand, 500W (with ext. cab), 13Kg, and 14" x 15" x 17" - more than loud enough for my needs and I can pick it up with one finger! What's your budget?