Jump to content
Left leaderboard
HazBeen

Completed: a body for a fretless Status neck

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, owen said:

I have often fancied a thinner bass body. Are Ken Smiths thin or is that just an optical illusion?

I am not sure, never had a Smith. But there certainly are many basses that are slimmer than the 4.4cm (1.75”) Leo came up with, so would not be surprised at all. The main thing is to ensure you have enough meat for the neck to bolt on to (or set in). Which to me suggests 3.75cm is close to the slimmest you can go.

Although an actually skilled builder like @Andyjr1515 of @Jabba_the_gut would know better. I am just pretending :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

I am not sure, never had a Smith. But there certainly are many basses that are slimmer than the 4.4cm (1.75”) Leo came up with, so would not be surprised at all. The main thing is to ensure you have enough meat for the neck to bolt on to (or set in). Which to me suggests 3.75cm is close to the slimmest you can go.

Just for reference, the basses I've built so far have been between about 37 and 42mm. As you say, main reason is to ensure there is enough to bolt the neck on. I am building something at the moment that is 45mm thick but that is the thickest body I have ever done - generally 40mm is my aim as it seems to suit my builds. It's also worth considering the thickness from a playing and aesthetic point of view depending how thick the neck is or how high you want the fretboard over the body. Weight of a bass hasn't really bothered me but I don't gig two hour sets!!

I seem to remember @Andyjr1515 making one bass that was really thin bodied - around 25mm if I remember right!!

The body you are making is looking really nice - I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed. That is lovely grain on that timber you have chosen for this and I think it will look superb when finished.

What's your plan - to make it thinner then check the weight and if it is still above your target then to do the chambering or will you chamber it anyway?

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

What's your plan - to make it thinner then check the weight and if it is still above your target then to do the chambering or will you chamber it anyway?

Not fully decided, but I am leaning towards chambering and making it thinner. Lighter is better for me. And I happen to have 6.5mm thick book-matched Zebrano in bass dimensions I was intending to use on the next build.... ash and zebrano always looks good together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still not entirely sure what I will be doing, but I have decided I will be keeping the zebrano for another project.
 

This body needs to stay “light”, because the Status neck is black and I like the contrast.

Still toying with just thinning or might put on a maple cap, or even just an ash or poplar cap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good! :)

My ultra slim builds were all neck-thru but yes, 25mm (in fact, Tom's African bass was sub 25mm).

But with a bolt on, it starts getting challenging at much below 35mm.  40mm certainly should be fine, though.

  On a more general note, the thinner you go, the more you need to double check the hardware, pots &switches you are intending to fit - push-pull pots and some toggle and lever switches can be very deep!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked Rog's Status body ref the ongoing veneer thread - it's solid walnut and the total body thickness is 35mm.  There's 13mm of wood under the neck pocket if that info helps :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Just checked Rog's Status body ref the ongoing veneer thread - it's solid walnut and the total body thickness is 35mm.  There's 13mm of wood under the neck pocket if that info helps :)

I plane routed the body today. Such a versatile machine a router.
First took 5mm off, which took it to just under 2100 grams (with a few 100 grams still coming off). I then just went “full on” now having 32mm left, and I will stick a 7mm topwood on so will end up at 39mm.

Expect to end up at around 1700 grams without hardware. 

Perfection :)

Will post pics at some point.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, spalted maple cap almost certain :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven’t had much time. But just going to glue the spalted maple top....3DC53C06-2AA7-4BDF-8AC7-D83D6578AA5D.thumb.jpeg.13444427d1691b5db9f22903378f35e2.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did the wood say to the glue? It feels clamped in here.....

EE895760-4189-4BA3-BEAC-FE20B87A0C7B.thumb.jpeg.8d2a9972c1f5e0a564a6b82d26b0e88b.jpeg

0FEA1A2A-6D9F-46C6-BFA3-559F22315D77.jpeg

1C24A652-258A-4B84-9BE4-89D650A7589F.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone wonders what the line is on the topwood, it is pencil (centreline) not a gap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so utterly sick of all this competency crap... where are the mess-ups and the “so wish I hadn’t Started this” rants. Can’t you people do something really stupid or badly once in a while ?  🙄

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check my thread for abject failure. I am here for you. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I’m so utterly sick of all this competency crap... where are the mess-ups and the “so wish I hadn’t Started this” rants. Can’t you people do something really stupid or badly once in a while ?  🙄

I may still cater to you ...... I have built 5 or 6 basses over the years and trust me, I have had more than a few FUs, resulting in having to redo bodies, necks etc. etc. So, until all is said and done I expect anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I’m so utterly sick of all this competency crap... where are the mess-ups and the “so wish I hadn’t Started this” rants. Can’t you people do something really stupid or badly once in a while ?  🙄

Have you read my bench diary, warts and all? It's more wart than anything else.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres one I made from scratch, done as an exercise to identify the pitfalls, also done with basic hand tools, barring a router and an English pull saw for the fret slots

20200607_112846.jpg

20200607_112834.jpg

20200607_112820.jpg

20200607_112733.jpg

20200607_112717.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Si600 said:

@Bill Wy,Aye,Man Is there a bit of a wobble at 8th/9th fret on the treble side?

Sure is, like I said it was an exercise to identify the pitfalls involved, the timber was free and the truss rod, rosewood fingerboard and fret wire came to about 30 quid

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2020 at 19:49, HazBeen said:

I plane routed the body today. Such a versatile machine a router.
First took 5mm off, which took it to just under 2100 grams (with a few 100 grams still coming off). I then just went “full on” now having 32mm left, and I will stick a 7mm topwood on so will end up at 39mm.

Expect to end up at around 1700 grams without hardware. 

Perfection :)

Will post pics at some point.

 

A Joiner I know has a 13" planer/thicknesser, I keep hinting at him to leave me it in his will, although he does lend me it when required

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bill Wy,Aye,Man said:

A Joiner I know has a 13" planer/thicknesser, I keep hinting at him to leave me it in his will, although he does lend me it when required

An envied man you will be :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Si600 said:

Have you read my bench diary, warts and all? It's more wart than anything else.

Yes, I feel more worthy now 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, spent a few hours in my new “workshop”..... 

Body trimmed and rounded, and mocked up the cavity/neck/pickup etc. I am quite pleased with the result so far. If I am super-critical I wish the join between top and body was a bit more consistent, but I am really nitpicking.

All the really scary stuff done, so neck pocket, pickup cavity,  control cavity, arm and belly contour next.....

 

2101E69C-63C1-4BC2-8AD0-8F3B5086689F.jpeg

C32DBFE6-8A8E-44C2-8404-73AD7BAAC8FC.jpeg

6F1E7E26-98AB-45EE-8946-7FA8841EAE7C.jpeg

E0E88102-FFE0-4843-9721-0C99929624AF.jpeg

5889E6ED-025C-41CB-9697-7070E227B237.jpeg

5252FD6E-49A3-4EEF-AB82-AB4F5D713DFE.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...