Why become a member? ×

and.......another new band

niceguyhomer

A few weeks ago, I was approached about auditioning for a blues band and after the initial phone call, didn't hear any more. In the meantime, I joined another band and thought no more about it.

Last Thursday, I got a call from the drummer of the blues band asking me to come down to their studio in Manchester on Saturday for a get together / jam. I'd already told him that I'd never played blues on bass and asked if he could give me some songs to learn in preparation but he told me to just bring a bass and see what happens.

It soon became apparent that the reason he'd not given me any songs to learn was because they write all their own stuff but I settled in ok just walking around some basic blues stuff I'd learned.

To cut a long story short, they liked what I did and I got the job. They asked if I was available to cut a demo in about 3 weeks time so I said no problem. I asked them what they had in mind for the band (like a lot of blues musos, they all have a few projects on the go) and they said that they wanted to get up and gigging asap and do a few festivals this summer.

There was talk of doing the British stage at Colne in August and then someone asked about whether "...we were too late for Pistoia (Italy)?" and the keyboard player said "..yes we are but we'll be ok for Sweden" and then I got to thinking, who the hell pays for that?

I had a word with the missus and she's fine about it so now, after being a bit trepidatious, I'm really excited about it. I've always wanted to play some blues and can't wait to get going.

Perhaps I'll finally be able to use a Precision without someone complaining about it. Happy days.

FANTASTIC mate, that's brilliant news. Yep, sounds like you need a new bass mate ;) . No reason why the Spectors couldn't do the job though, maybe a tad over the top tone wise, but worth a try. You can't beat that P bass tone for blues though, although one of my favourite blues bassists Tommy Shannon used a Jazz for years.

It breaks my heart to say it Russ, but I think my Euro may have to go soon anyway if my shoulder gets any worse - it's too heavy and the pain's stopping me from sleeping as well as I need to. I'm using my Rebop for the moment cos as you know, it's a lot lighter but even through a small combo it was a bit too edgy for what we were doing. I dunno, I'm not in a hurry to do anything - I'll just see how things pan out.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='417235' date='Feb 23 2009, 10:51 AM']....There was talk of doing the British stage at Colne in August and then someone asked about whether "...we were too late for Pistoia (Italy)?" and the keyboard player said "..yes we are but we'll be ok for Sweden" and then I got to thinking, who the hell pays for that?....[/quote]
Great news about the band success.
I did the British Blues Festival in Trescore, near Milan, last year. They are very organised in Europe. The promoter sent over the tickets and ran us around while we were there. They paid for the hotel, food and drink. And they also sent me a Christmas Card!

[quote name='chris_b' post='417576' date='Feb 23 2009, 04:39 PM']Great news about the band success.
I did the British Blues Festival in Trescore, near Milan, last year. They are very organised in Europe. The promoter sent over the tickets and ran us around while we were there. They paid for the hotel, food and drink. And they also sent me a Christmas Card![/quote]

Thanks for that Chris - I've been a bit concerned about that and I'm glad someone else is paying ;)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='417298' date='Feb 23 2009, 01:03 PM']I don't Paul - but that's another issue ;)[/quote]
Hehe! I saw this thread and my first thought was... "I see a P bass in your immediate future." :P

Two bands, heaps of money rolling in - never a better time to buy a Precision!

Looking forward to the demos as well...