Why become a member? ×

Epic ways to record a live band (practice/gig type situation)?

phil_the_bassist

[url="http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=5873&InMerch=1"]I saw this[/url] advertised on FaceBuk and thought what a chuffing good idea it was...but then I thought that you charmin gents would probably be able to suggest some better/more effective ways to record a live band.

I've got about £150 to spend, and we've already got a mixing desk that has the vox, both guitards and the kick drum going thru.

Shout out your ideas!

Phil

Way too complicated, too many settings & controls, too much to go wrong. Fine for a recording studio, but at a gig?

Just buy a Zoom H2. Cheap & simple, fits in your pocket, has complicated functions if you want to use them but works best as a simple device. Can be used as a handheld, or on a small stand (supplied), or with any normal microphone stand using the adaptor (supplied).

Sorted.

If you have everything going through the desk, you can just record the line-out. If not, you'd have to use a stereo pair of mics, which will not necessarily give a great result, but may be good enough for what you're looking for. Which method will you go for? And what do you want to do with it after? IE just a bit of comp and EQ, or a full edit and mix? Then we'd have a better idea of what to recommend.

Also, I think you're looking for a quick, easy, effective, cheap recording solution, rather than an "epic" one, which would probably prove rather inconvinient.

Although this does fall under Misc. Equipment and Accessories in a way, you'll probably get a better response in [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=10"]Recording[/url].

I've left a link in the original forum to the topic anyway ;)

Danny

Sounds like either of the Zoom units would be good!

I really just wanna get some live recordings so we can use it as a marketing tool (myspaz, facebuk, website type stuff) and so we can have it at rehearsals to check out what works/doesnt. 'Epic' was maybe a bit strong, but you guys have sorted it out brilliantly as per usual! hats off to you guys, you're all welcome to come over for tea and biccies any time you want! :P

[quote name='acidbass' post='418571' date='Feb 24 2009, 05:23 PM']Although this does fall under Misc. Equipment and Accessories in a way, you'll probably get a better response in [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=10"]Recording[/url].

I've left a link in the original forum to the topic anyway ;)

Danny[/quote]

Cheers buddy! :)

I'd say get some sort of recorder, like if you have a laptop with cubase on it or something or some other HDR or tape based recorder (a DAT or ADAT or something) hooked up to the line out of the mixing desk. You may want to use a couple of overhead mics on the drum kit though to capture the snare, toms, cymbals etc. It would probably result in a better quality recording than a zoom H4, though i haven't tried one, so i couldn't say. Behringer sell cheap matched condenser pairs you could use for overheards, but keep them about 2 or 3ft above the kit so you don't kill them.