Why become a member? ×

Anyone played a recent Bison?

OutToPlayJazz

Bought one a couple of years ago, probably soon after they came out. Coudn't get on with it at all, remains the quickest turnround of bought to selling on I think I've ever done on a bass. The sound was OK but nothing spectacular. Found the shape really awkward and the way the neck is positioned to the body it seemed like a really long neck, always seemed to be stretching to the headstock end. I'm not tall and don't have long arms so this might not affect a lot of potential buyers. The finish seemed OK but somehow a bit cheap and tacky in the flesh. Mine was black but a sort of dull matt black, not shiny. I think it would show wear very quickly. Definitley try before you buy with these, but I couldn't find anywhere that stocked them locally and took a gamble. Got virtually what I paid for it as it was mint condition so no big loss.

Micro Music in Liverpool have a white one in stock (0151 733 1101 - I have no financial interest in the shop or business although the staff are friends). I love the pickups and the double selector switches. Huge range of really great tones available - it sounds brilliant and it plays really well with a lovely neck and 'board. I have never been tempted to buy it however as I utterly loathe the shape.

I've commented a few times to the staff there that if I could get hold of those pickups and the circuitry and throw them into something that wasn't so fugly and garish then I'd do so in an instant.

White with gold hardware just isn't me...

[quote name='Scoop' post='44843' date='Aug 13 2007, 03:21 PM']Micro Music in Liverpool have a white one in stock (0151 733 1101 - I have no financial interest in the shop or business although the staff are friends). I love the pickups and the double selector switches. Huge range of really great tones available - it sounds brilliant and it plays really well with a lovely neck and 'board. I have never been tempted to buy it however as I utterly loathe the shape.

I've commented a few times to the staff there that if I could get hold of those pickups and the circuitry and throw them into something that wasn't so fugly and garish then I'd do so in an instant.

White with gold hardware just isn't me...[/quote]

what he said

didnt micro have a black one a while ago?

I tried a Burns Bison yesterday at Steven James, Middlesborogh. Nice bass not to heavy the neck was good not too fat. The horns didn't really get in the way though they do kook a little odd. The pickup selector is a twist knob and doesn't really tell you which pickups you've selected. It also has a switch which is marked A/B' this seems to be a phase switch (series, parallel sort of thing). Good solid bass nice sound pick guard was a bit warped and needed more screws (in my opinion).

The one I tried (the black version) in a shop also had a nasty warp to the pickguard. I wasn't impressed by the build quality. Of course, we're talking the cheapo "Club Series" stuff here. Sadly, the Bison bass is no longer available in their better quality range, which is a real shame, 'cos it's a proper bonkers Brit classic.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone got one of the baby blue ones? I think they have a pearl scratchplate too. There was an HH head and 2x15 cab on ebay and in the picture the seller had one leaning against the rig and it looked [i]awesome[/i]! I've never really been sure if I liked them or not. The bassist from Gallows uses one (odd choice for a hardcore band) but so do the bassists from the Young Knives and Oasis, so they're kinda ruined for me :)

I've been personally lusting after one of the redburst bison that you occasionally see appear on ebay they look gorgeous to me. I've never had a chance to play with one, but i'm a big tall lanky guy, i'm sure i could manage the long neck. haha.

There's currently a black one on ebay with no bits at £280, with 19 hours...
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150222313475"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=150222313475[/url]

But i'd definitely choose the redburst one if i had the money.

I recall reading that the Bison was originally intended as a British alternative to the Fender Precision. Really must try one. I still love the idea of the white/gold one for some strange, tasteless reason.

MB1, if you're still planning to play the buffalo, can you do a video that we can play at your funeral?