Why become a member? ×

Best bang-for-buck P bass?

Seb_C

I'm thinking about replacing my Cort 5 string with a Fender P, and was wondering what are the best bang-for-your-buck buys in terms of quality and playability?

I don't really want anything new - Fender prices are a little bit OTT for what you get new, IMO.

So, second hand:

I really fancy a JV, but prices are frequently a bit silly (although I have spotted the odd bargain on here in old threads). The E series and SQ series Squiers seem to be gaining favour, but i get the feeling that's because JV prices have gotten a little rich for some people?

I guess anything Japanese is a fairly safe bet. I've never been keen on the MIM Fender stuff - there's nothing wrong with any I've played (most Strats rather than Ps) but they've always been entirely bland and devoid of character!

I've love a 70's P, but unless it's a real dog I don't think I can stretch that far. How much do later USA Ps go for (as a minimum)? The Fullertons look pretty good, and as with the JVs can be pricey but I've seen the odd bargain.

Originality doesn't bother me too much - it's for playing, not collecting (and in some ways I'd rather something that had already been messed with a little and subsequently dropped some value, as then I wouldn't feel guilty putting a Wizard Pup in it).

Dream spec - two-tone sunburst, nice and light body, nice rich aged wood tones, maple fingerboard, white pick guard, a real player but a bit tatty, with non-standard electrics so I don't feel guilty calling up Wizard!

So, what should I be looking out for?

Many thanks!

Seb

[quote name='Hamster' post='415414' date='Feb 20 2009, 03:18 PM']second thought is put a post in the wanted section and buy it from the classifieds on here![/quote]

Excellent advice - in fact this one looks cracking value ;)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41709"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41709[/url]

But if you don't buy that, I would certainly look at some of the Japanese models. My 70s re-issue is a fantastic bass for the money.

[quote name='Seb_C' post='415251' date='Feb 20 2009, 01:20 PM']Dream spec - two-tone sunburst, nice and light body, nice rich aged wood tones, maple fingerboard, white pick guard, a real player but a bit tatty, with non-standard electrics so I don't feel guilty calling up Wizard![/quote]

+ 1 on the Made in Japan or Crafted in Japan (MIJ or CIJ) ones.
MIJ are older than CIJ and tend to be less money. Then it's just down to your taste and the condition.

[quote name='simon1964' post='415428' date='Feb 20 2009, 03:28 PM']Excellent advice - in fact this one looks cracking value ;)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41709"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41709[/url]

But if you don't buy that, I would certainly look at some of the Japanese models. My 70s re-issue is a fantastic bass for the money.[/quote]

i'd seriously recommend going for that, i've played it, it's absolutely lovely.

or like simon1964 says, his 70's reissue is great, so +1 for the japanese precisions.

I've never found a MIA or MIM that I've liked.

Japanese Fenders are the bollocks. One of the only basses I ever regret selling was a Coral Pink P bass with a maple fretboard. f***ing fantastic bass.

If I were to buy another Fender, it would only be a CIJ - whether one of the regular models or an import

Reading the original post - you've already answered your own question.

If you want a bit of confirmation that a used Jap is the way to go , you already have it several times and I'm happy to chuck my hat in too. I have 2 Jap Fenders , a 54P and a Strat. Both excellent.

have you seen the newest edition of BGM? doesn't completely answer you're question, but there's a fender precision bass round up, comparing lots of fender's most popular precisions. i'm sure that'd be helpful.

EDIT: that includes squiers, too

Edited by LWTAIT