Why become a member? ×

Blowing my own trumpet but I don't care :)

Linus27

I've been learning a bunch of song and uploading videos of me playing them on Youtube. One of the songs I did was It's My Life by Talk Talk. Paul Webb and Derek Forbes of Simple Minds were very big influences on me when learning bass. This song was the first song I learn't to play on Fretless. Anyway, Paul Webb of Talk Talk has replied to my YouTube video saying,

[b]I preffered a fretless in the studio but a fretted live... can't recall why? Good effort... The bass sounds pretty good. [/b]

I am over the moon that he replied to my video. OK, so its nothing special but its put a big grin on my face and after the sh*t day I have had at work, I am now sitting here with a whiskey and a big grin across my face. Well, it made me happy anyway.

Great to have that sort of reaction...maybe odd for people who don't share our "obsession" but inspiring to us.
A couple of years ago I was in France and a friend of mine did backing vocals at a concert with the musicians of Elvis Presley. I got the chance to go to a restaurant nearby with bassist Jerry Scheff and we shared thoughts (what can you say to a man who says while he's eating a pizza "I didn't just play Elvis stuff, I played bass on "Riders on the Storm" too...)
I send him an email when I got home to thank him for the experience and quickly got a reply with kind words. Surprisingly he told me that he liked to listen to Radiohead (I think he was 63 at the time). I still treasure those moments.

Thanks guys for the comments. I really am over the moon about it. I think this comment by below sums it up for me,

'Tis a classic bass line - I think you made a good job of it but even better for the original artist to pay you the compliment.

wombatboter, thats a great story. I love The Doors. Riders On The Storm is probably in my top 5 favourite songs ever.

Thats the best compliment from the best person who could possibly give it. No wonder you're made up, any person on this site would be stoked if the same thing happened to them.

Enjoy it, you clearly deserve to.

Top fella bothering to tell you he thought it was a good job too, he must know how much it would mean to you after all.

[quote name='51m0n' post='415138' date='Feb 20 2009, 11:43 AM']Thats the best compliment from the best person who could possibly give it. No wonder you're made up, any person on this site would be stoked if the same thing happened to them.

Enjoy it, you clearly deserve to.

Top fella bothering to tell you he thought it was a good job too, he must know how much it would mean to you after all.[/quote]

Thanks and yes I am still buzzing. So much that I am going out to a toy shop and treating my son to a present, and then buying my wife some flowers and then trwat myself to some cables from Obhm. I'm in a big happy mood ;):):P

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='415223' date='Feb 20 2009, 01:01 PM']I liked a couple of your lines particularly coming up to the bridge, though I thought that you looked a bit early into some of the apexes... then again I've never been around Oulton Park. ;)

Oh and congrats on the compliment from PW. :P[/quote]

HAHAHAHA that cracked me up. Nice one :P :) :huh: :angry: