Why become a member? ×

Fender Japanese Precisions??

Linus27

Here's my non-export IshiBashi 70's P Reissue.. A 2007 model I bought late 07 I think. The Black finish had been withdrawn when I originally ordered for the 70's model, however, I got an email through from my contact at the time who told me I could get the colour I wanted! - Failing that, the sunburst 70's or the natural with Maple neck would have been my next choice.

Black on black, 'US' pups, ungigged, never left the house.

As I bought it..

New pickguard

[quote name='dood' post='412173' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:40 PM']Here's my non-export IshiBashi 70's P Reissue.. A 2007 model I bought late 07 I think. The Black finish had been withdrawn when I originally ordered for the 70's model, however, I got an email through from my contact at the time who told me I could get the colour I wanted! - Failing that, the sunburst 70's or the natural with Maple neck would have been my next choice.

Black on black, 'US' pups, ungigged, never left the house.

As I bought it..

New pickguard[/quote]

YUMMY YUMMY

I don't think that you are right with the whole export/non export thing

Fender Japan make some basses and guitars you will see in the shops here and on the fender Uk or US website as available over here. They are not that common but things like one model of the aerodine jazz and i think the jaguar bass, and one of the macus miller sig basses, these are the export basses.

They also make a range to satisfy the home market. These are not intended to be exported and Fender even put pressure on suppliers not to as it would disrupt marketing elsewhere. As far as I can tell in Japan the choice is either CIJ or MIA.
CIJ are the equivalent in the market as MIM is over in the UK.

The CIJ are split into 3 ranges...
Standard- basswood bodies, jap pups, no vintage stylings
Vintage reissue- '57, '62, '70s etc these have basswood and jap pups
U.S. Vintage reissue- '57, '62, '70s etc as the vintage reissue but with alder or ash bodies, US pups (and possibly some of the other hardware)

I had one of the U.S. vintage reissue ones and it was immense. I would be carefull if buying as to which model you get.

I had a look at mijfender.com and it seems a little pricey, even given for the pound not being strong. The '57 is more than the JV '57 i bought- and having owned both it seems daft!
I used far east guitars which was half the price as mijfender.com. i emailed him what I was after and he got back to me when he had found it or something similar, from what he said most the stuff he gets in doesnt ever make it up to the website.

anyway, i think im right!

[quote name='Linus27' post='412702' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:31 AM']NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sell me it. You know you really want to and its the best thing to do ;) :P[/quote]

With pictures like that, I want one too!!! Would look great next to my other 2 CIJ's ;o)

I've got a standard 89/90 MIJ Precision I bought on a whim on eBay for £250. I wasn't even looking for a P, I thought they were too boring. ;) It was an instant hit with the band and now they moan if I play anything else. From the tarnish around the pole pieces the pickups are original and the only element of my playing that ever gets compliments is the sound of the P, so whatever they are, they're ok.

When I bought it I didn't know about the different levels of the MIJ range, so it wasn't as much of a bargain as I thought, but now I look at the reissues and wonder what I'd be getting, apart from cosmetics, for quite a bit more money.

....saw this on e-bay

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Japan-Precision-Bass-PB70-US-Made-in-Japan_W0QQitemZ120378831068QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item120378831068&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Japan-Precisi...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Tried link and it appears to work.

I would be patient and look on E-bay and the BC classifieds. I have bought basses from Japan through e-bay with seikosuru2003 and bluezy-guitars - had great quick service - you can contact them to look out for things for you too.

You could also look for Jap bass bodies and necks on e-bay and make up your own one that way.

Good luck in your hunt !

Charlie Chandler's shop in Kingston always seems to have a sunburst/tort/rosewood Jap '62 reissue in stock. I bought mine there for (IIRC) £450 back in August. I'm assuming it's an export one.

It is fantastically well put together, with flawless finishing and a perfect neck joint. The rosewood board is a beaut and I can hardly stop playing it. Absolutely nails all those classic Precision sounds in my head.

[quote name='Linus27' post='411271' date='Feb 16 2009, 05:22 PM']I quite fancy getting a Japanese Fender Precision but they seem to be super rare. I see a few Japanee ones but Precisions, especially with maple necks seem so rare. They also seem to vary in price at lot. Some sell for a couple of hundred and others sell for £600 - £700.

Anyone know why this is and noticed how hard they are to find?[/quote]

Mine is a fairly recent Japanese 54 P-bass reissue, basswood body, 2-saddle bridge, huge maple neck, Telecaster headstock, little tiny frets, original P-bass pickup. First introduced in the late Sixties, but I don't know all the ins and outs. The 'flower power' motif may turn you off, but the bass is powerful, solid as a rock, comfortable to play, beautifully made, and mine is well-intonated. The cost was the clincher: $420 new, not used; offered in its last incarnation in the $800 range, I believe. Great bass. I've seen two in two years, and bought one of them.