Why become a member? ×

Fender Japanese Precisions??

Linus27

I quite fancy getting a Japanese Fender Precision but they seem to be super rare. I see a few Japanee ones but Precisions, especially with maple necks seem so rare. They also seem to vary in price at lot. Some sell for a couple of hundred and others sell for £600 - £700.

Anyone know why this is and noticed how hard they are to find?

Mmmmh, maple fretboard... ;)

Japanese Fenders come in different versions. Some have basswood bodies, some are alder, some have Japanese pickups, some have US pus - hence the differences in price.

The cheapest Standard versions have a generic "Fender Precision Bass Made in Japan" decal similar in style to those found on Mexican Fenders (before the latter were upgraded in 2009).
Then there are the 57 (maple fretboard) and 62 (rosewood) reissues with a vintage-style "Fender Precicsion Bass" logo on the headstock (like mine), basswood bodies and Japanese pickups. Those usually can be identified by the standard Fender-type string saddles (cylinders with a single groove).
The "US" versions with alder bodies and US pickups have threaded string saddles on the bridge. There are ash-bodied 70s reissues as well.

They do pop up every now and then on basschat and are usually cracking basses. Good luck in finding one!

Not a fan of red basses but thats a cracking looking bass.

So how much does a standard basswood Japanese Precision, 57 alder bodied Precision and 70's ash Precision sell for?

Also is one worth avoiding or are they all great but just better woods?

Edited by Linus27

They are all of top quality. The difference in woods is a big factor on the price but generally the sonic differences are minimal, they are P basses and sound like P basses. I have a 1990 Jap P with basswod body and US pickups and let me tell you...it is the best sounding P I've heard. Maybe the difference is in the pickups , so it is not woods you should avoid but pickups. Having said that, I doubt the jap pickups can be as bad as the mexican ones.

They are more expensive now as fender has raised their prices in 2009, after raising them in 2007. Also, you get the export and nonexport models. export ones intended for us and are relatively easy to get hold of and generally cheaper. Non export ones are the more fancy and interesting models, including the premium ones - they can get very expensive and are usually only availabe through a private import or ebay.

Find a used one, I havn't noticed their rarity, but maybe that's because I own one.

Edited by Duarte

Ah soulfinger ;) - a pleasant surprise. Where ya been?

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='411307' date='Feb 16 2009, 04:45 PM']Mmmmh, maple fretboard... :P

Japanese Fenders come in different versions. Some have basswood bodies, some are alder, some have Japanese pickups, some have US pus - hence the differences in price.

The cheapest Standard versions have a generic "Fender Precision Bass Made in Japan" decal similar in style to those found on Mexican Fenders (before the latter were upgraded in 2009).
Then there are the 57 (maple fretboard) and 62 (rosewood) reissues with a vintage-style "Fender Precicsion Bass" logo on the headstock (like mine), basswood bodies and Japanese pickups. Those usually can be identified by the standard Fender-type string saddles (cylinders with a single groove).
The "US" versions with alder bodies and US pickups have threaded string saddles on the bridge. There are ash-bodied 70s reissues as well.

They do pop up every now and then on basschat and are usually cracking basses. Good luck in finding one![/quote]

soul finger is right in what he says about the different ranges.
There are some firms who import them and sell them on, I got my old one from john at fareastguitars who buys them secondhand.
For a US version one expect to pay about £350-500 ish. I sold mine last month for £400.

They are generally a bit less than that on basschat but beware some folk who just have a (good) jap fender and don't know which model.
Beware certain shops, some on denmark street who sell the standard ones (at the time about £250 new +duty) for £600.....

[quote name='pete.young' post='411421' date='Feb 16 2009, 07:54 PM']You sir are a man of impeccable taste. I have one just like it, with a jazz width neck. Mine came from John at Far East Guitars. He had a nice fretless in stock the last time I looked.[/quote]

Why thank you kind sir. May I ask what the above bass is roughly worth? Does your one have US or Jap pickups?

Edited by Linus27

Mine is a Not-for-export CIJ with US pickups and hardware, with a P0 serial number which dates it to I think 2003-2004. I've had it for about 3 years and paid about 500 quid for it second-hand from Far East Guitars. It has TI Flats on it and sounds immense. Even Kiwi liked it. Ive no idea what it's worth now, but that's cool since it isn't for sale ;-)

[quote name='pete.young' post='411471' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:42 PM']Mine is a Not-for-export CIJ with US pickups and hardware, with a P0 serial number which dates it to I think 2003-2004. I've had it for about 3 years and paid about 500 quid for it second-hand from Far East Guitars. It has TI Flats on it and sounds immense. Even Kiwi liked it. Ive no idea what it's worth now, but that's cool since it isn't for sale ;-)[/quote]

So a not for export is for Japan only and an export is for USA etc??? Also, the USA pickups and hardware bump the price up?

A not for export is the more expensive specials like the 57, 63, 70 models and the export is just the standard models?

Am I getting this right ?? ;):)

[quote name='Linus27' post='411486' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:56 PM']So a not for export is for Japan only and an export is for USA etc??? Also, the USA pickups and hardware bump the price up?

A not for export is the more expensive specials like the 57, 63, 70 models and the export is just the standard models?

Am I getting this right ?? ;):)[/quote]

My understanding is that the Fender Japan not-for-exports are Japan only and these have the US pickups, hardware and more exotic choices of body wood. 57, 62 and 70 are available in export models and not-for-export . Non-export models have 'US' in the model number and are more expensive.

It used to be possible to export a not-for-export from dealers like Ishibashi, but Fender Japan tightened the thumbscrews and effectively prevented Ishibashi from selling you a new one. However, there's nothing to stop you buying a second hand one - if you go to www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box and click the electric bass link, it's a useful place to do a bit of research into what code numbers are what.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='411343' date='Feb 16 2009, 07:50 PM']Ah soulfinger :P - a pleasant surprise. Where ya been?[/quote]
Why thank you, Al! :)

Been busy teaching myself guitar and blues harp. ;)
Actually, I do come here often but I usually keep lurking, enjoying reading about people joining new bands and getting gigs. Good job! :huh:

Sorry for being OT.

[quote name='pete.young' post='411494' date='Feb 16 2009, 09:09 PM']My understanding is that the Fender Japan not-for-exports are Japan only and these have the US pickups, hardware and more exotic choices of body wood. 57, 62 and 70 are available in export models and not-for-export . Non-export models have 'US' in the model number and are more expensive.

It used to be possible to export a not-for-export from dealers like Ishibashi, but Fender Japan tightened the thumbscrews and effectively prevented Ishibashi from selling you a new one. However, there's nothing to stop you buying a second hand one - if you go to www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box and click the electric bass link, it's a useful place to do a bit of research into what code numbers are what.[/quote]

Cool. thanks for your help. So I could get a 57, 62 and 70 export model that would probably made of basswood and have Jap pickups. That sounds cool. I wonder how much that would be. Of course a not for export would be better ;)

[quote name='Hutton' post='411482' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:53 PM']Have a look here:-

[url="http://www.mijfenders.com/frmBass.htm"]http://www.mijfenders.com/frmBass.htm[/url][/quote]

Sorry to quote myself but these basses are 'not for export' instruments.

Edited by Hutton

Here`s a piccy of My Jap 57 re-issue. I got it about 2 years ago from Guitar Emporium, cost £540 if I remember. It`s got an alder body, had a Us pickup fitted, it had the chrome covers but I junked them. They looked good but were a pain in the preverbial. Put on a black Allparts scratch plate instead of the gold one.

It looks white in the photo but is actually knid of yellowy/blonde. It has a Status pickup and Status strings fitted for now. This is the bass I took the maple neck off of and stuck on my Mike Drint Squire. I just cant seem to stop messing around with my basses!

I have found a pic of how it looked when I bought it and how it is now. For the next day or two anyway!

[attachment=20410:SUNP0010.JPG]

[attachment=20411:ghsfdhsdd__2_.JPG]

[quote name='Hutton' post='411538' date='Feb 16 2009, 10:05 PM']Sorry to quote myself but these basses are 'not for export' instruments.[/quote]

Thats Hutton. So they are the good ones. The export models should then be cheaper I guess but made of Basswood and not Alder or Ash and have Jap pickups/hardware and not US pickups/hardware. Good to see some prices.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='411542' date='Feb 16 2009, 10:10 PM']Here`s a piccy of My Jap 57 re-issue. I got it about 2 years ago from Guitar Emporium, cost £540 if I remember. It`s got an alder body, had a Us pickup fitted, it had the chrome covers but I junked them. They looked good but were a pain in the preverbial. Put on a black Allparts scratch plate instead of the gold one.

It looks white in the photo but is actually knid of yellowy/blonde. It has a Status pickup and Status strings fitted for now. This is the bass I took the maple neck off of and stuck on my Mike Drint Squire. I just cant seem to stop messing around with my basses!

I have found a pic of how it looked when I bought it and how it is now. For the next day or two anyway!

[attachment=20410:SUNP0010.JPG]

[attachment=20411:ghsfdhsdd__2_.JPG][/quote]

WOW, I love the original look with the gold scratchplate. LUSH ;) :P

[quote name='lonestar' post='411555' date='Feb 16 2009, 10:37 PM']There's a nice 70's one on here: [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm[/url]

I wish I had some cash. I'd quite like one of these[/quote]

Yes but its fretless.

[quote name='lonestar' post='411555' date='Feb 16 2009, 11:37 PM']There's a nice 70's one on here: [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm[/url]

I wish I had some cash. I'd quite like one of these[/quote]
GASP!

Damn. I thought I was GAS free, but I just read the Mick Karn thread and now this.. ;)