Why become a member? ×

Volume Boost for Solos

leonshelley01

At the moment I run a Jazz Bass through a modded Crybaby and Bass Big Muff into a Marshall MB4210 and I am really happy with my tone. My problem is I have two solo's in the set where the guitars are still going full tilt and I need to boost my volume in these sections without changing the tone significantly. Unfortunately, due to the credit crunch and lack of a current job, I need a very cheap solution. I was looking at the Begringer Volume Boost Pedal or Bass EQ as a possible solution. Any thoughts?

[quote name='johnnylager' post='410970' date='Feb 16 2009, 12:38 PM']Don't you have 2 channels with that amp? Use one as a solo channel?[/quote]

Unfortunately I use the two channels blended as my main tone!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='410977' date='Feb 16 2009, 12:45 PM']I'd imagine the Behringers will do the trick, just don't stomp on them too hard or you might be getting a lot less volume than you'd hoped for![/quote]

That was my main concern as they look to be made of cheap plastic.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='410982' date='Feb 16 2009, 12:47 PM']How good are you at turning knobs with your foot?[/quote]

My other thought was to get a volume pedal and put a "stop" on the quiet side to keep a uniform volume for normal play and then open it up for the solo's.

[quote name='escholl' post='411091' date='Feb 16 2009, 02:01 PM']what if you were to make a cheap signal attenuator, put it in line after your effects, and turn it off for solo's (hence boosting the volume by however much it was attenuated?)

could do the whole thing from a place like maplin for under a tenner, if you know how to solder.[/quote]

I was just on the Electro-Harmonix site and they now make something similar (Signal Pad). I think I shall look into building one.

Maybe a Boss bass Eq?

[url="http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/GEB-7/"]http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/GEB-7/[/url]

You can boost your signal and also further Eq your sound for the solo parts.
I'm using one and it does the job perfectly.

You should be able to find a second hand one for reasonable price.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='411170' date='Feb 16 2009, 03:00 PM']I've just realised I'm being a bit silly. I have a Zoom B2 MFX as a back-up to plug into the PA in case of amp problems. I can just set two patches up with no effects but differing volumes. Doh!

Cheers for all your suggestions though![/quote]
That's one of the things the Zoom is really useful for....

[quote name='escholl' post='411091' date='Feb 16 2009, 02:01 PM']what if you were to make a cheap signal attenuator, put it in line after your effects, and turn it off for solo's (hence boosting the volume by however much it was attenuated?)

could do the whole thing from a place like maplin for under a tenner, if you know how to solder.[/quote]

Or if yr a bit lazy or crap at soldering, the more expensive option -

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='411838' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:56 AM']Perhaps I'm being silly, but one of the knobs on my bass is called volume, and its right there just below my right hand. Alternatively just pull the strings harder.[/quote]

Perhaps I'm being silly too, but maybe the guitarists could play a little softer while you're soloing?

[quote name='bremen' post='411856' date='Feb 17 2009, 12:11 PM']Perhaps I'm being silly too, but maybe the guitarists could play a little softer while you're soloing?[/quote]

The guitarists always seem to be in the middle of a volume war, so fat chance!

My bass also has a couple of volume knobs, just a tad difficult to adjust mid-song without dropping out for a bar or so.

I have just been offered an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 for gratis, so that should resolve the problem anyhow. Thankyou everyone for all the advice though!

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='411838' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:56 AM']Perhaps I'm being silly, but one of the knobs on my bass is called volume, and its right there just below my right hand. Alternatively just pull the strings harder.[/quote]

The problem with this arguments (and similar ones) is the guy said he uses DISTORTION. This cancels out the dynamic range so these don't work. Same with the guitars, too.