Why become a member? ×

SPECTOR AND THE DANGLING CARROT

greyparrot

[quote name='greyparrot' post='409199' date='Feb 14 2009, 01:24 AM'][b]
Hello mate, now before trying to hamper other peoples sales, i would get your facts right, and leave people to sell how they feel fair . Right! The RRP form spector is around $7500 (nearly £5000) the discounted price is $5600 or £3,950. see here [url="http://www.music123.com/Spector-NS-5XL-5-String-Bass-Guitar-515043-i1324679.Music123"]http://www.music123.com/Spector-NS-5XL-5-S...324679.Music123[/url] Now none of the shops claiming to have the bass, have it! You are quite right regarding the $ against the £, but remember other than this one, the only place you will find this bass is in America, that means not only paying top dollar, but also importing over here! I think that this is the only one in this country.and number 15 of only 24 ever to be made. Now its simple, 1st, i have had alot of interest in the bass, understandably it is a very special bass and not cheap, "nd i have lowered the price to make a sale. If i decide that i am not desperate to sell (which im not, ) then if i wish i will put the price up to what I think is right. As commented 2K is a steal for this, and if you see it, you will agree. Now i'm a good chap, and lowed the price hopeing that it will be more affordable, check it out. As i said this is very very special. To me its worth every bit of 4k and to be honest i'm thinking of pulling it, cos it just about blows every bass i'v played away, both in sound and looks, IMO. So in a few days time this bass will go up to its correct price (IMO) of £2400 or removed from sale, cos its so rare and so nice, and i will kick my butt if i sell it![/b][/quote]

I looked here last night and wasn't going to reply but seeing as you edited your post to be more patronising I thought I might as well point out that you've missed the point completely.

Music123 is overpriced, it's a fact. You [b]can[/b] get one of these brand new from Bass Central for £2999 + shipping & tax, NOT the £3950 + shipping & tax you state. However if I go on some other US website and pick a price off there I'll get a different figure. Ditto if the exchange rate changes.

Your entire policy seems to be basing the pricing off the US market, which in my experience with Spectors (being an endorsee and everything) is just pointless.

i would get your facts right, and leave people to sell how they feel fair[/quote]

Everything I've posted is 100% fact, do the maths yourself. And if we left everyone to sell everything at whatever price they felt fair and no one questioned it, we'd be paying near new prices on used gear.

If you was to go to your bass dealer and the bass that you were after was reduced by £400 for one week, would you moan? or buy it?[/b][/quote]

Not if it was already overpriced by £600 I wouldn't.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='409484' date='Feb 14 2009, 03:31 PM']I looked here last night and wasn't going to reply but seeing as you edited your post to be more patronising I thought I might as well point out that you've missed the point completely.

Music123 is overpriced, it's a fact. You can get one of these brand new from Bass Central for £2999 plus shipping and tax, NOT the £3950 you state. However if I go on some other US website and pick a price off there I'll get a different figure. Ditto if the exchange rate changes.

Your entire policy seems to be basing the pricing off the US market, which in my experience with Spectors (being an endorsee and everything) is just pointless.

Not if it was already overpriced by £600 I wouldn't.[/quote]

As said the price for this bass is £3 900 at present on the web. Their are only 24 of these in the world matey! ok so its pretty unique. People who wish to buy this will look into it, and they will see that this is correct. This is underpriced at 2k by £600. Now show me another example of this bass new or 2nd hand under £3500 other than mine and i will agree but till you can point us all in that direction, i think you should keep your opinions on other peoples sale treads to yourself. As i said you have a chance to prove me wrong, past a link here maty. I think at 2k this bass is cheap, and at £2,400 it is right for 2nd hand. Now if i wish to sell this at this price, it is up to me and not you. you say you have seen it at £3000 [b]plus[/b] shipping and tax means about another £800 on top. I have looked at bass central (the shop that you are quoting £3k from)and they list it at $6700 and email for price. So how do you make it £3k?

Can i also make one simple suggestion to all reading this google Spector NS5 XL water cured redwood and decide for yourself on the price of this very special bass. Infact, you get more results for this bass by googling water cured redwood ....dont even mention spector, that is how rare the wood is on this bass.

Regards, Rich.

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='greyparrot' post='409491' date='Feb 14 2009, 03:36 PM']As said the price for this bass is £3 900 at present on the web. Their are only 24 of these in the world matey! ok so its pretty unique. People who wish to buy this will look into it, and they will see that this is correct. This is underpriced at 2k by £600. Now show me another example of this bass new or 2nd hand under £3500 other than mine and i will agree but till you can point us all in that direction, i think you should keep your opinions on other peoples sale treads to yourself. As i said you have a chance to prove me wrong, past a link here maty. I think at 2k this bass is cheap, and at £2,400 it is right for 2nd hand. Now if i wish to sell this at this price, it is up to me and not you. As you say £300 [b]plus[/b] shipping and tax means about another £800 on top.

Regards, Rich.[/quote]

Here's the link to Bass Central - [url="http://www.basscentral.com/spector/usa_th.shtml#5string"]http://www.basscentral.com/spector/usa_th.shtml#5string[/url]

Their retail is $6300. After 33% discount that makes £2999ish plus shipping. THAT'S A FACT. However, my point was only ever that you can't use US prices as a guideline, which you do continually, as there are too many different factors involved. Tomorrow, the US economy could crash, exchange rates could go to £1 = $2.5 and then a brand new one with shipping and tax from the states would cost about £1800. We weren't far off this 5 months ago. I was never trying to harm your sale for a special reason as I will explain in a moment, but instead trying to hammer home the point that the US market has NOTHING to do with pricing over here. It would have been easier if you just said "I paid X number of pounds, and want to make X back due to wear and tear, or lack thereof".

Now the reason I took an interest in this thread from the first moment of you posting the first thread, is a chap I'm acquainted with in Wales has one of these and was thinking of selling it but was wrestling with the idea as he desperately wants to keep it. He was going to be asking £1800 off the bat, which he thinks is about right considering he only paid £2700 for it off Thomann a while back when the Euro was very low - they imported a couple or three of these basses, I remember seeing the item on their webshop at some point.

I didn't really want to steam into the original thread and point this out but now you've asked me up front, that's the fact. Whether he sells or not is up to him though, you may see him sign up on here if he can't find cash from another source.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='409513' date='Feb 14 2009, 04:04 PM']Here's the link to Bass Central - [url="http://www.basscentral.com/spector/usa_th.shtml#5string"]http://www.basscentral.com/spector/usa_th.shtml#5string[/url]

Their retail is $6300. After 33% discount that makes £2999ish plus shipping. THAT'S A FACT. However, my point was only ever that you can't use US prices as a guideline, which you do continually, as there are too many different factors involved. Tomorrow, the US economy could crash, exchange rates could go to £1 = $2.5 and then a brand new one with shipping and tax from the states would cost about £1800. We weren't far off this 5 months ago. I was never trying to harm your sale for a special reason as I will explain in a moment, but instead trying to hammer home the point that the US market has NOTHING to do with pricing over here. It would have been easier if you just said "I paid X number of pounds, and want to make X back due to wear and tear, or lack thereof".

Now the reason I took an interest in this thread from the first moment of you posting the first thread, is a chap I'm acquainted with in Wales has one of these and was thinking of selling it but was wrestling with the idea as he desperately wants to keep it. He was going to be asking £1800 off the bat, which he thinks is about right considering he only paid £2700 for it off Thomann a while back when the Euro was very low - they imported a couple or three of these basses, I remember seeing the item on their webshop at some point.

I didn't really want to steam into the original thread and point this out but now you've asked me up front, that's the fact. Whether he sells or not is up to him though, you may see him sign up on here if he can't find cash from another source.[/quote]

If your mate wants to sell his for £1800 thats up to him, as this is up to me, now people google in WATER CURED REDWOOD and see what happens. I can only go on the us trade cos that is where you get them. In Thormans now do not have this listed. But as i say its my tread and my sale! TAke the challenge people google it, and see what you get, also look at the price that my freind is quoting new from the shop he says and see what they are saying, then see if you can find a shop that has one on the wall. Please place your votes below!! ha ha Anyway off to do a gig, so will look forward to all you guys on bass chat who read this looking forward to your findings, and also your opinions on people commenting on other peoples sales treads.

Regards, Rich.

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='409513' date='Feb 14 2009, 04:04 PM']Here's the link to Bass Central - [url="http://www.basscentral.com/spector/usa_th.shtml#5string"]http://www.basscentral.com/spector/usa_th.shtml#5string[/url]

I didn't really want to steam into the original thread and point this out but now you've asked me up front, that's the fact. Whether he sells or not is up to him though, you may see him sign up on here if he can't find cash from another source.[/quote]

really do you have nothing better to do today?

One interesting point is that Daz at The Bassmerchant had (in fact still has) got the bass advertised at £3199 which as a bass shop I would assume he knows what he's talking about when it comes to value. Knowing Daz he's always up for a good haggle so let's call it £3k new. Now the £3k includes VAT, any import duties and courier fees which, just like cars, drops off the value the moment it leaves the shop. So let's call the real value £2,400. So, if our seller wants to get his money back then it's £2,400.

This makes £2k look like a reasonable price. However, taking into account we are in the deepest recession since the second world war and more than 1 million more people will join the dole queue before Christmas, it may be more realistic to lower the price but this is purely subjective.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

I just think that if someone wants that bass, he will not give a lot of money without knowing the value of this bass...
So I think the buyer will have a lot of informations about it and will know in every aspect what he will do...

So up to the buyer (and the seller) to find the good deal... not me and not a lot of people speaking out of interest about
that bass ...

In my opinion....

[quote name='josh3184' post='409731' date='Feb 14 2009, 09:31 PM']if you want to argue with the price do it over pm for gods sake, that way noone makes a d*** of themselves publicly and it doesn't harm a sale.

Jeebus.[/quote]
seconded

[quote name='Macko1968' post='409715' date='Feb 14 2009, 09:11 PM']The bass, like anything, is only worth what someone will pay for it - be that £15 or £15000.

I figure the seller sets his price & if it's too high it doesn't sell, too low & he gets trampled in the rush.[/quote]

MB1. :P
Killed in the rush!(God!...i love Pauline Murray!)....the price difference between the American ltds and the checkie ones is quite considerable!.....but strangely!....Rightly so!.... ;)
Bump That Parrot!

Morning guys. Its good to see your comments, and i do agree that if someone wants to trow a spanner in the works on somebodys sale, then they should rais their points via PM. Ok we all agree that £2000 is a good price, and that is what it will stay at, I had an interesting call last night, so this may be sold today. I will keep you updated, but at this point in time it remains available at £2000. CAn be sent via next day, but of course this is better played and seen in the flesh.

Kind regsrds, Rich.

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='409957' date='Feb 15 2009, 11:14 AM']I still don't know what the big deal about water cured redwood is.[/quote]

It is extreamly rare wood. see here.............From harmony central.

Spector Offers Special Limited Edition Water Cured Redwood Burl Basses
February 4, 2008

Stuart Spector Designs Ltd is offering a very special limited edition of handmade Spector basses. These basses are handcrafted in the Spector workshop near Woodstock NY and will be limited to an edition of 24 pcs. The body wings on these neck thru body basses are carved from rare water cured redwood burl. This wood is derived from the stumps of redwood trees that were cut down 100 years ago in northern California. These stumps were completely submerged in rivers for the last century and have recently been salvaged and obtained by Spector. The flow of the river water for such an extended period deposited minerals that have hardened the wood and deepened the color to a rich chocolate brown. In addition to this all the sugars have been washed out of the wood enabling drying to be done in the same fashion as the traditional preparation of violin woods.

Each instrument will be accompanied by a special certificate signed by Stuart Spector which explains the special nature of the bass and lists it's place in the limited edition. The bass requires our clear high gloss finish (900.00 list), and will deliver 4-6 months from month of order.

[quote name='voxpop' post='413108' date='Feb 18 2009, 02:45 PM']Its mine now..... :P

Thanks Rich for the trade.

Marc[/quote]

Congrats, I see you've already updated your sig ;)

How does the Spector sound through your Mesa M6 ?
(no hang on, I think I know the answer to that!)