Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for Bass £200 -£250

fumps

[quote name='fumps' post='407742' date='Feb 12 2009, 04:43 PM']Aye up peeps

What would you recommend as a good purchase Bass for £200 £250 budget?

Links & Pics would be good

All recommendations & advice would be greatly appreciated

eye thank you[/quote]

Depends on lots of things - what style of music you play, do you like skinny necks or thicker ones, what sound are you after?

But in general terms, I think you'll struggle to beat this in your budget:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40703"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40703[/url]

Not my bass, and I don't know the seller, but these are outstandingly good for the money (provided you like a very thin neck).

[quote name='fumps' post='407764' date='Feb 12 2009, 04:54 PM']cheers for that.

It's not for me but i am very interested in the answers as well. he want to play Rock/metal maybe a little funk.[/quote]

If I was spending up to £250, I would be looking at Squier, Ibanez, Yamaha etc buying new. The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz would cover most types of music and seems to be a cracking bass for the money.

But you'll get much better value buying used.

Edited by simon1964

Also consider Cruzer (until recently Cruiser) by Crafter.. excellent basses for the money! The place I work in has these, including
[url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/258_259_262/products_id/4380"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/4380[/url]
of which there's one slightly ex-demo at the mo so even more worth seeing; just out at Cleckheaton, 1 mile from Jn26 of M62.

HUGH

[quote name='simon1964' post='407790' date='Feb 12 2009, 05:14 PM']But you'll get much better value buying used.[/quote]

Quite so.. if you don't mind the occasional dent and scratch (chances are you'll put enough on there yourself) you can get stacks more bass per pound.

[quote name='fumps' post='407742' date='Feb 12 2009, 04:43 PM']Aye up peeps

What would you recommend as a good purchase Bass for £200 £250 budget?

Links & Pics would be good

All recommendations & advice would be greatly appreciated

eye thank you[/quote]

The Ibby above is a good rec, as is this one:-

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40703"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40703[/url]

SR500. Easy to play, great woods, nice pickups and electronics. They cost around £350ish new.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='rjb' post='407972' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:03 PM']The Ibby above is a good rec, as is this one:-

SR500. Easy to play, great woods, nice pickups and electronics. They cost around £350ish new.[/quote]

That would be the same link as my post ;)

Great minds......

Bloody hell theres more than i realsied in this budget range.

A good mate asked me to find him a Bass for that cash & i am looking to upgrade as well. simular budget but i always say set a budget & then stretch it to the best you can lol

I am more looking for something with deep tone that i can then make nice & clanky (Fender Jazz sounding) for the funky bass lines, to be honest i'm more into what a bass sounds like than looks (Although there are exceptions).

My mate on the other hand is looking for a easy Bass to play, so i guess a thin neck & light body.

I'm not that fussed as long as i sounds nice & i wont be looking to change anytime soon then i would be happy

Again people thanks for advice & pointers, it's really appreciated.

I'll e-mail me mate see what he wants to do & start budgiting for my own purchase.

[quote name='fumps' post='408221' date='Feb 13 2009, 08:19 AM']Bloody hell theres more than i realsied in this budget range.

A good mate asked me to find him a Bass for that cash & i am looking to upgrade as well. simular budget but i always say set a budget & then stretch it to the best you can lol

I am more looking for something with deep tone that i can then make nice & clanky (Fender Jazz sounding) for the funky bass lines, to be honest i'm more into what a bass sounds like than looks (Although there are exceptions).

My mate on the other hand is looking for a easy Bass to play, so i guess a thin neck & light body.

I'm not that fussed as long as i sounds nice & i wont be looking to change anytime soon then i would be happy

I'll e-mail me mate see what he wants to do & start budgiting for my own purchase.[/quote]

I'm about to sell a virtually as new Cort Curbow, in a very nice (cause they vary a lot) Mystic Ice Crazer finish, very light, very slim fast neck, great variety of sounds (It's active) and it's had a pro setup (frets levelled etc.) and Elixir strings fitted. I'm selling it because I have switched to short scale basses only.

Yours (or your mates) for £200 - that's a bit of a bargain.

Edited by HarryPotter

[quote name='fumps' post='408221' date='Feb 13 2009, 08:19 AM']Bloody hell theres more than i realsied in this budget range.

I'll e-mail me mate see what he wants to do & start budgiting for my own purchase.[/quote]

A fender Precision Lyte may well hit the spot for either of you.

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='408548' date='Feb 13 2009, 01:23 PM']I'm about to sell a virtually as new Cort Curbow, in a very nice (cause they vary a lot) Mystic Ice Crazer finish, very light, very slim fast neck, great variety of sounds (It's active) and it's had a pro setup (frets levelled etc.) and Elixir strings fitted. I'm selling it because I have switched to short scale basses only.

Yours (or your mates) for £200 - that's a bit of a bargain.[/quote]

I know now i'm desperatley trying to contact me mate now lol

[quote name='fumps' post='409383' date='Feb 14 2009, 01:21 PM']I know now i'm desperatley trying to contact me mate now lol[/quote]

I haven't actually put it up for sale yet, was going to do it next week, I don't mind hanging fire until you've given your mate a chance, I'll prepare some pictures though to show off the finish.

;)

Get a second-hand Hohner Professional Jack Bass Custom. Headless, active with bypass switch. Superb sounds for the money, incredibly stable tuning, great for all styles, easy to play, small and sexy, very nice neck. Mine sold on ebay for a ton a few months ago (usually go for around £150 though, should be pretty mint for that) so you'll have so cash to spare and you'll have an ace bass that stands out in the crowd.

[quote name='silddx' post='409829' date='Feb 15 2009, 12:21 AM']Get a second-hand Hohner Professional Jack Bass Custom. Headless, active with bypass switch. Superb sounds for the money, incredibly stable tuning, great for all styles, easy to play, small and sexy, very nice neck. Mine sold on ebay for a ton a few months ago (usually go for around £150 though, should be pretty mint for that) so you'll have so cash to spare and you'll have an ace bass that stands out in the crowd.[/quote]

I used to have a Honer the Jack headless i would love another, it was a fantastic Bass.

No worries Mr Tinman

Right MR Potter i am waiting for me mate to get back in touch. i will PM you when he's about.