Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a micro combo

jel

I don't drive and as much as I love my Ampeg B100 it's not very portable when you've got a gig-bag over your shoulder.

I really like the look of the minimark as I prefer to EQ from my bass. Is there anything as basic and as powerful out there without the steep price?

It's supposed to be quite heavy, though... not exactly portable.

The smallest things that come to mind are

- Markbass Micro/MiniMark (depending on how much power you need)
- Gallien-Krueger MB150 combo
- Markbass MiniCMD12P

My choice would be among the latter two, a Minimark or a Micromark, as cute and surprising may they be, they're damn expensive :P
The GK combo is 150W power, while the Markbass is 300W. I don't remember if the MB combo can power an additional cab, the Markbass surely can though, bringing the power up to 500W RMS. Tonewise, though, the Markbass is less refined, maybe warmer and with an effective tone that sits perfectly in the mix... amazing how these combos can be heard, and clearly, even in the very crowded or loud ensembles, and they perform surprisingly well - considering their size, obviously - even in the open, course, it's not a standalone for all kinds of gig, it still is a medium-small combo, no miracles. But then again, I don't really dig the tone of this combo, I'd choose it if you're looking at a simple, powerful, small backup amp* that will cover your needs from rehearsals to small gigs, and you have a better way to get your sound when you really need it (for example, recording purposes, or for gigs in nice venues where you're confident your tone will be properly heard), and you are willing to compromise a little on tone (IMHO, of course).

I prefer the GK for the tone, but bear in mind, it is only 150W RMS, and it costs the same as the MarkBass MiniCMD combo (I can see the price is justified, honestly, a great little combo, but you have to be prepared to pay the amount of cash). If I had the money, I'd get this, even just for recording purposes (the tone is really, really nice, although I'd probably opt for the head + cab rig).

IMFO, of course ;)

*: actually, I know many people who have this combo as their main amp, I think you can do better, I think the MB cabinets aren't at the same level as the heads, but then again, it's just MY opinion.

Edited by Boneless

Is it? :P
I thought they'd install a 4 ohm driver in the combo... Well, I didn't really crank up the volume, and I didn't really check the specs, and you can't really notice the difference between 90 and 150W, unless in a (loud) band... ;)

*laughs nervously*

Anyway, the combo's head on my Ashdown ABM 414 was sublime.
And it could easily be heard against a loud drummer and a heavily distorted Marshall JCM800/900 (don't remember) + 4x12.

Edited by Boneless

[quote name='jel' post='406111' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:32 AM']Thanks for all your advice, I think I need to take my bass out to a few shops and try these out. Does anyone have any experience of the Genz-Benz Shuttle combos with the removeable head?[/quote]
there is plenty of people that do. Try a search and see what comes up.

[quote name='Boneless' post='405981' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:13 AM']....Anyway, the combo's head on my Ashdown ABM 414 was sublime....[/quote]
I tried the GK MB150E head on a GK 2x10 and it sounded great, way better than the combo. Seems to me that those small cabs are holding back a fantastic amp.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='jel' post='406111' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:32 AM']Thanks for all your advice, I think I need to take my bass out to a few shops and try these out. Does anyone have any experience of the Genz-Benz Shuttle combos with the removeable head?[/quote]
I sold my Shuttle 6.0 and Bought a Shuttle 3.0-10T Combo and its great. 175 wats and weighing less than 20lbs. When i add it to the neox 112 its a great mini rig

• 2 weeks later...

...PJB (Phil Jones) briefcase, suitcase or sixpack? ( 2 x 5, 4 x 5 and 6 x 5 respectively...)
I was on the look-out for a long time for a small portable rig and read great reviews on these - so much so that I bought a way bigger PJB rig that does big and smaller gigs (its got a 6 x 5 & a 9 x 5 cab they can be used in unison or seperately) and got a Roland micro-cube RX for acoustic/ VERY small gigs...
All the best,
Sean

[url="http://philjonespuresound.com/PJWeb11_Bass.aspx"]http://philjonespuresound.com/PJWeb11_Bass.aspx[/url]

Edited by sub-a-dub

[quote name='sk8' post='424289' date='Mar 3 2009, 04:36 PM']I sold my Shuttle 6.0 and Bought a Shuttle 3.0-10T Combo and its great. 175 wats and weighing less than 20lbs. When i add it to the neox 112 its a great mini rig[/quote]

I did exactly the same thing :)

The baby Shuttle combo is virtually a one finger lift it's so light. Easily loud enough for a lot of everyday situations at 175W & adding any second cab will bring in the full 300w output.