Why become a member? ×

Can you apply a effect to 1 cab when running 2?

andrewrx7

Hi there,

I currently run 2 cabs (1x15 and 4x10) from one amp head. Just wondering if there is any way that I can apply an effect to just one of the cabs? I guess you can't add a pedal to the signal out from the amp to the cab? I hope that doesn't calassify as "daft question fo the day"! ;)

Cheers
Andrew

[quote name='andrewrx7' post='401802' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:54 AM']Hi there,

I currently run 2 cabs (1x15 and 4x10) from one amp head. Just wondering if there is any way that I can apply an effect to just one of the cabs? I guess you can't add a pedal to the signal out from the amp to the cab? I hope that doesn't calassify as "daft question fo the day"! ;)

Cheers
Andrew[/quote]

I think you've answered that one yourself :P

Not advisable unless you like buying lots of pedals....

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='402117' date='Feb 6 2009, 04:02 PM']And a stereo output on your bass.[/quote]

Or depending on the effect, a signal splitter would do it - maybe the LS2? Some effects have 'normal' as well as 'effect' outputs; the 'normal' output is the bypassed dry signal as well as the effect signal when it is activated, and the 'effect' output is only on when the effect is active (if that makes any sense? :wacko:)

[quote name='andrewrx7' post='401802' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:54 AM']....I currently run 2 cabs (1x15 and 4x10) from one amp head. Just wondering if there is any way that I can apply an effect to just one of the cabs?....[/quote]
What would you be hoping to achieve by doing this? I don't know that you would hear much of a difference if you put the effect through one or both cabs.

[quote name='chris_b' post='402744' date='Feb 7 2009, 12:23 PM']What would you be hoping to achieve by doing this? I don't know that you would hear much of a difference if you put the effect through one or both cabs.[/quote]

I didn't explain the full story, just wanted to keep it short. I use a Unibass to add a "rhythm guitarist". But this is only on 3 songs in the set. I use a dedicated guitar amp for this. Was just thinking about cutting down on the gear I carry around and this is a little excessive. I have tried the Unibass applied to the whole bass sound and I don't like it - it does seem to cloud the sound somewhat (to my ears anyway). Since I got the UB, I have added the 1x15 cab to the set up. So I was just thinking, that for the 3 songs I use the UB for, rather than applying the effect to the whole bass sound, could I apply it to one cab (probably the 4x10) and still have good bass punch from the other cab with no effect applied to it. (Having it run through the 4x10 will give a mix of bass and effect, so it is not as though the 3 songs will only have just the 1x15 cab only). If this set up worked, then I could not bother with lugging the guitar amp around.

Cheers
Andrew

[quote name='BigRedX' post='403043' date='Feb 7 2009, 08:59 PM']No, it sounds like you need to stick with the rig(s) you have.

BTW which band are you in, I've seen a couple with set-ups like you describe and their sound is great.[/quote]

The sound is indeed very good, with the seperate guitar amp, no arguing about that! If we did more songs where we thought they needed the extra clarity that a seperate guitar amp provides then I probably wouldn't be considering this route. But it is simply alot of hassle carting the amp around (not a light fella, it's a TE Super Tramp 2x12 - and it is very loud to! Really have to run it at low gain - it is a little bit of overkill to be honest!) and setting it all up. I am just considering dropping it from the set up and see if i can achieve a similar sound with the twin bass rigs, without too much of a compromise to the overall bass sound for those particular songs. I could run the effect thorugh the PA I suppose, but I do like to hear the "backline" - we are a small band so don't have sound engineers etc!

Anyway, I play in a covers band in the Northants/Beds/Herts area, but seriously doubt you would have heard (or seen) of us! ;) Not putting ourselves down mind, but we are one of the countless many serving an ever decreasing circuit!! :P

[quote name='dangerboy' post='403291' date='Feb 8 2009, 11:50 AM']Maybe you just need a smaller guitar amp? There are some tiny things out there with great sound and frightening volume levels.[/quote]

True - I was firstly just trying to work within the equipment I already have without spending anything else. When I got the Tramp, we were all a little surprised about how much volume it pushes out! I do have a smaller 1x12 Laney VC30, but the Tramp sounds so much better (I like the sound of the twin speaker set up over the single). But it is an option, as you say!

Anyway, running two "lines" is useful indeed: you might have a distorted signal through, let's say, a vintage-style 2x12"-4x12"-2x15" with no tweeter (if you have the space, or the will to do it :P ), for a fatter and smoother distorsion, and a clean signal through a pointy and aggressive cab (such as a modern 4x10" with lots of treble), this way, you will have both warmth and a strong attack, as well as deep lows. Maybe even using two preamps, or amps altogether... That is, if you don't have any phasing issues... but the point is you can try ;)