Why become a member? ×

Anyone played the Gear4music LA 5 String bass?

markdavid

Look for a second hand 5er, I know there's a few cheap ones (Squier and Yamaha) on fleabay at the moment.

I've had a G4M LA P 4 string bass and it was utter rubbish. Pickups and electrics were shockingly bad, neck was ok, body made out of paper - super lightweight and dented just by looking at it. The bridge kept becoming loose because the body wood is so soft under tension of the strings, it would pull up. 😪

8 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

... I've had a G4M LA P 4 string bass and it was utter rubbish. Pickups and electrics were shockingly bad, neck was ok, body made out of paper - super lightweight and dented just by looking at it. The bridge kept becoming loose because the body wood is so soft under tension of the strings, it would pull up. 

Interesting. The body is made out of paulownia, a softer wood, and as you said dented just by looking at it! I had a similar view of a budget Warwick Rockbass I had, also made from paulownia. 

A high-end bass maker has recently taken to using the same wood to provide lighter basses whilst charging circa £1k+ for the privilege, but some of the fanboys were advising not to worry. 

I'll leave folk to make their own minds up. 

Edited by Al Krow

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting. The body is made out of paulownia, a softer wood, and as you said dented just by looking at it! I had a similar view of a budget Warwick Rockbass I had, also made from paulownia. 

A high-end bass maker has recently taken to using the same wood to provide lighter basses whilst charging circa £1k+ for the privilege, but some of the fanboys were advising not to worry. 

I'll leave folk to make their own minds up. 

As ever with woods there will be differing quality amongst the same species, if you haven’t let the wood properly dry and cure and taken the crap cuts, drilled holes for the bridge with no care that could be wider than the screw, then it will pull out, its as absurd as saying all basses made out of Pine by all manufacturers are crap because of 1 bass that was.

@markdavid you can probably get a 5 string bass from the lower end line of better companies second hand for about your price if your are patient and scour adverts on various selling sites of choice

The thing about Paulownia is it’s actually ecologically very sound as it’s quick growing round in the Far East, the soft rubbish stuff you don’t use, furniture grade stuff you can, and Japanese have been using it for centuries to make clogs, furniture etc. It’s porous so it needs filling to Strengthen it, but it’s not prone to warp.

Yes it is softer, but As ever it’s the quality that will set it apart, that will be the cost difference as well as skill. Good quality Paulownia holds screws etc.

Manufacturers have tended to use woods local to them for ease - hence Fender with Ash, swamp ash, Alder (as well as groan properties) other woods like Agathis etc which are found more locally to Far East countries potentially get a bad rep from snobbery on eastern vs USA produced instruments. Pine was good, but featureless.

Vast generalisation on that, but not far off the mark.

If you want the best wood - get a natural finish bass, it has to be, cant be covered by block colours, hence why relics are the best of both worlds as they show you the quality Wood underneath!

• Like 1

Hunt for an used Yamaha, Cort, Peavey, Bass Collection, Aria etc, much better and will have decent resale value if you don't like it. 

Your best bet is the Facebook marketplace, just had a look and there's an old Yamaha BBN5 for £120, an Ibanez BTB for £150, an Ibanez SR370 for £110, an Epi Toby for £120 and an OLP MM5 for £140. All of those will likely be head and shoulders above the G4M cheapy, particularly the Ibanez.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

G&L use Paulownia as an option on their USA custom basses under the name of Empress wood. 

A wee spot of superglue absorbed into the bridge screw holes would solve any lifting potential I would imagine. 

Alternatively the Harley Benton PJ-5s are supposed to be good for £110

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Not sure what a roadworn aesthetic has to do with the quality of wood?

I don't know where you're coming from. 🤔

Just a light hearted quip - that if you're a fan of the roadworn aesthetic then a wood that dings easily e.g. paulownia shouldn't be problematic for you. And you would get a light eco friendly wood for your bass into the bargain!