Why become a member? ×

Drum machine

Stan_da_man

I'm looking at getting a drum machine for use with my side project. I need it to be able to mix drum patterns together (like a song in real life) and be able to put it on a timer so it stops when the song finishes i.e. When finished playing all the drum patterns. I'd also want to be able to connect to the P.A. and speakers.

Does something like this exist? Would it be possible to invent your own drum beats on these machines or do they cost much more?

Cheers.

It sounds like you'd be looking more towards an Akai MPC type device. In fact, the MPC is pretty much the de-facto standard for that kind of beat sequencing on hardware.

[url="http://www.akaipro.com/mpc500"]http://www.akaipro.com/mpc500[/url]

Great machines; not cheap though. (£399 for the 500 version)

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='398246' date='Feb 2 2009, 07:57 PM']It dosen't need to be able to produce it's own beats, I'm perfectly happy with the default ones (as long as you can edit and save them!)[/quote]
I don't get you.The MPC has some sounds stored in, but the main idea is you load your own samples into the box (or record them onto the box from other sources). You're not synthesising beats, just sequencing them.

Then you sequence i.e. program in sequences of those beats into rhythms etc. Above that, you can create "songs" out of sequences etc. etc.

Edit: finding a drum machine which can do all of that will be hard. I've never seen one; not saying they don't exist though.

Edited by Eight

Some drum machines have step-sequencers etc. built in, but I don't think you'd be able to program in a set length for the track. It'd loop a rhythm until you stop it.

Edit: Hence needing something a bit more advanced.

Edited by Eight

I would have thought that an Alesis SR16 would do what you want.

You can programme your own patterns and use the patterns to make complete songs.

They go quite cheaply now. In fact I have one I don't use any more.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='398259' date='Feb 2 2009, 08:03 PM']I had a ZOOM RT-123 or similar (not sure of the name?).[/quote]
Zoom always seem to make the weird stuff that fits into gaps in the market.

Looks good; I fancy something like that myself.

[quote name='obbm' post='398261' date='Feb 2 2009, 08:06 PM']I would have thought that an Alesis SR16 would do what you want.

You can programme your own patterns and use the patterns to make complete songs.

They go quite cheaply now. In fact I have one I don't use any more.[/quote]
Yup, i would have said the same too.
I've got one, it's been going strong for 13 years and has never let me down!

[quote name='obbm' post='398261' date='Feb 2 2009, 08:06 PM']I would have thought that an Alesis SR16 would do what you want.

They go quite cheaply now. In fact I have one I don't use any more.[/quote]

Yup, I have one of these as well and the way it was programmed made some people think that it was a drummer.

You could programme some beats into a software sequencer and run it from a lappie into the PA, but that's a whole other ballgame. You're talking about 'hardware drum machines'

Either way, there's going to be a smidge of reading the f***ing manual, so buy some aspirin first.

Loads of hardware drum machines (e.g. the alesis mentioned above) let you programme in a sequence of drum patterns (basic part > fill> basic part > fill > bridge etc) to build up a defined song. That's what they were originally intended to do. All this loop sampling stuff came later.

Most of them come with a variety of onboard drum sounds which usually range from the quite nice to 80's hideous.

Quite a few floor multi-fx pedalboards (zoom, digitech, etc) now have programmable [i]onboard[/i] drum machines of varying flexibility, alongside all the other bells and whistles.

Both drum machines and pedal boards will have a line-out, either as RCA's, headphone sockets or 2 x1/4 inch. These can go straight into your mixer.

Either way, [i]you're[/i] going to have to play to the drum pattern, rather than it play to [i]you[/i]. (Unless you get into midi triggering, but I'd give that the swerve till you've got your head round the drum machine malarkey)

Check out some of the interwebz shops like GAK, Dolphin or soundslive; they should have something that'll do the job. Also, check out SOS (sound on sound) magazine - they have an online archive of reviews and lots of useful hints and tips which, although being about recording, will also stray into your area of interest.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='398895' date='Feb 3 2009, 01:26 PM']Cheers guys, I'll see if I can try out the Zoom RT-123 and Alesis SR18.[/quote]
I saw a Zoom RT in the for sale: misc section earlier today. *fumbles around* - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40000"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40000[/url]

Must confess I knew about their Sampletrak but hadn't seen the RhythmTrak. The Alesis SR18 looks like a good little box as well mind. I'm impressed that they seem to have the functions you're after - and will be a hell of a lot cheaper than my suggestion. ;)

Edited by Eight

How about this for an idea... I use real drums, that i have had recorded by a session drummer and then play through minidisc through the PA. It is the best drum track that you will find. It fools many musicians! Very authentic and minidisc has autopause at the end of the track. As I own the tracks, I would be interested in selling if they were of use to anyone. Check them out on:

www.huggyandthebears.com

If you click on my hat in the pic, a list of songs will be displayed to click on.

Just an idea!