Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Sei Flamboyant Headless 5 - SOLD

Volume

Bass dates from around 2003 - the serial number '83' stamped into the bridge, and was made for the commissioning
purchaser, from the U.S... it then returned to the U.K and was bought (in a deal arranged by the Gallery) by a player
in High Wycombe, was then sold to BassChat member 'lozbass' in a private deal in 2006 and I then bought the bass
from lozbass in July of last year

[b][i]Specs[/i] ;[/b]

[b]Scale length[/b] ; 34''
[b]String Spacing[/b] ; Currently around 16.5mm centre-to-centre, but is adjustable
[b]Neck Width[/b] at 1st fret ; 48mm
[b]Neck Width[/b] at 24th fret ; 72mm

[b]Overall weight[/b] ; Around 8lbs - very light, and extremely well balanced.

[b]Neck[/b] ; 7-laminate flames maple with wenge stringers
[b]Body[/b] ; Ash
[b]Top[/b] ; Olive, beautifully figured with a Black accent line
[b]Body Finish[/b] ; Gloss Polyurethane
[b]Misc[/b] ; The Backplates, covering the control cavity and LED battery compartment are cut from the same piece of
wood as the main body.

[b]Circuit[/b] ; Schack 3-Band, adjustable via switches in the control cavity.
[b]Controls[/b] ; Volume, Pan, Bass, Middle, Treble
[b]Pickups[/b] ; Bartolini Humbuckers
[b]Misc [/b]; Additional Side-LEDs in Red, in aluminium windows

The bass is currently at The Gallery being set-up with a set of LaBella Slappers, strung with a low B string - in the
past I've had the bass strung with a high C string for more chordal work - it plays & sounds great when strung
either way.

The bass is very versatile - quite hi-fi and modern sounding, but can nail that Rocky, growly sound when you dig-in
and play hard. The Schack circuitry is very powerful and useable...

The overall condition of the bass is excellent - from lozbass' original sale thread ;

[i]''Condition is superb - the bass looks breathtaking and could pass for new/almost new - it's clearly had very
little play time. There is just one small mark - a tiny (2-3mm) and very shallow indentation in the lacquer
on the back of the body (just below the tummy contour line). I caused this by dropping a jack plug from a
low height - the mark is not easy to find and I was laughed out of three shops/luthier businesses when I
enquired about having it fixed/flattened. To be honest, it's only apparent if caught in the right light -
even then it's almost invisible and takes some time to find.''[/i]

I bought the bass from lozbass just-before I got a big gig, intending the use the bass for said gig... as it turned-out,
the material involved doesn't necessetate a five string bass... so the Sei has barely left it's case in the 6-months or
so that I've owned it... only taken-out maybe once per month to tinker-on.... and it's far too nicer bass to be left to
this amount of use for any longer... I'd rather it got a new owner who used it regularly and gave it some stage-time.

Anyway - I don't want to post a huge thread, so I'll leave it there - I think I've covered most of the details... if not, and
you have any other questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll get back to you ASAP (though my internet connection's
a little dodgy at the moment, so it might be best if you send me your email address, as I can email from my phone)

I'll try to get some more photos taken soon, but for now, 'lozbass' has given me permission to utilise his original sale
thread - on which, there are some of his (great!) shots of the bass... the thread can be found at the following link ;

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24368&hl=flamboyant"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=flamboyant[/url]

Anyway - I've set the price at [b]£1375[/b], which is what I bought it from 'lozbass' for - though I am open to reasonable
offers... the bass comes with a Gator Hardcase - also in excellent condition, and I'll also throw-in the straplocks,
and a Comfort Strapp

The bass is based in NW6 with a friend at the moment, but I'll be back in London in the next few weeks, and you're
more than welcome to come and view the bass, and give it a try-out... I'll also throw-in a good cuppa tea...

I'm reluctant to ship the bass, as I've had a few 'interesting' experiences with shipping companies... but, I will
investigate the options of shipping if you can't get to London.

So much for 'not posting a huge thread' eh?

Anyway - Questions, Enquiries etc welcomed...

Rich

Edited by Volume

Wow! I saw this bass for sale last time and soooooo wanted it - but you bought it before I got any cash together!

Totally beautiful, but I've just spent about £700 on GAS in the past 2 weeks so I don't think I can raise the cash. Bummer!

Out of interest, where in N6 is it? I work in NW9 and I was wondering how far?? I'd love to try it.

Edited by Golchen

This is one of the most beautiful basses I've ever had the pleasure of owning. The only reason that I passed it on was the fact that I was moving almost exclusively to shorter-scale basses. The quality of this instrument and attention to detail in the build and finish is extraordinary. I'm sure that any prospective purchaser will be delighted with respect to tone, playability and aesthetics. I can also assure you that Rich is one of this world's gentlemen (and an extremely talented player to boot!) If it wasn't for the fact that I play short-scale, I'd have this bass back immediately (and at the advertised price - for me it's well worth every penny - this is a very special bass)

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='398134' date='Feb 2 2009, 05:48 PM']wow
i got a sixer like this no 20.

this looks lovely
ill try and send you a pm.
kindest regards
ziggy.[/quote]

Ziggy is a first class dude to deal with, he got his sei 6 from me no worries at all, These two would look great together:

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='398457' date='Feb 2 2009, 10:57 PM']That would go very nicely with my Original four......oh the G.A.S! ;)

A great price too no less. It shouldn't hang around for long.[/quote]

I wish I still had my Original 5 - the fretted one of this pair:

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='399312' date='Feb 3 2009, 07:35 PM']Hey cheers Little al!!!
yes indeed they would look great together
i sill havent changed the electrics on your old sei yet as been too busy,
hope the thumb six is cool man
kindest regards
ziggy.

hey volume bump on me man.[/quote]

Hey Ziggy, yeah the thumb is cool, funny thing, it's in the gallery at the moment having an ebony fretless conversion, can't wait to get it back,

Have a bump for that sei man!!

So who beat me to the punch on this one eh? ;)

As there are some obvious Sei Flamboyant fans here I thought you might like to know there's a nice looking 6'er on EBay [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sei-Flamboyant-6-String-Bass-Custom_W0QQitemZ120373980590QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item120373980590&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sei-Flamboyant-6-Str...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

Also a really gorgeous choice of woods. . .

Edited by molan