Why become a member? ×

2x12 cabs

William James Easton

Whats out there at the moment in the way of 2 x 12?

I'm thinking, when i get my new head i want to keep the cab weight and size down. However a 2 x 10 is not great at holding a low end (and dont have the room or back for a 4 x 10? and a 1 x 15 is gonna have a fatter sound so a 2 x 12 may be ideal for me. With the hope of making a mini big rig if you know what i mean? But 2 x 12 seem to be rare for bass, and when i do find one its out of my budget.

The Schroeder 1212 cabs are popular. I think EBS also do a 2x12. Have you thought about getting two 1x12 cabs to give a bit of versatility to your rig for different situations? – Such as two Aguilar GS112’s. That was something I was thinking about recently and it’s a solution that a few on here have decided upon.

The only thing the size of a speaker tells you is how big it looks - some tens sound deep, some fifteens sound punchy, some twelves have tons of bottom whilst some have none.

You're better off considering what kind of sound you want, how loud you need to be, what you are willing to carry and how much you have to spend. The shortlist that results may consist of three or four cabs with completely different speaker configurations despite being similar weights, prices and sounding similar. Yes, it is rather confusing!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='394515' date='Jan 29 2009, 01:16 PM']The only thing the size of a speaker tells you is how big it looks - some tens sound deep, some fifteens sound punchy, some twelves have tons of bottom whilst some have none.

You're better off considering what kind of sound you want, how loud you need to be, what you are willing to carry and how much you have to spend. The shortlist that results may consist of three or four cabs with completely different speaker configurations despite being similar weights, prices and sounding similar. Yes, it is rather confusing!

Alex[/quote]

dont confuse me, i will get scared.

Sound wise.....erm......growly rock sound? do like to feel the bass as well as hear it. not keen on overly crisp bright speakers or thudie muffled dub sounding speakers.

p.s. i have decided to work toward my dream and own an orange head so looking at a bass terror when it's out. If not will be looking for a cheap second hand bass head. So will be plaing through one of them. but this may never happen and i may go back to looking at a GK/ampeg head. but fingers crossed for orange.

Edited by William James Easton

[quote name='basswesty' post='394537' date='Jan 29 2009, 01:40 PM']I've just ordered one of these,

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.html"]http://barefacedbass.com/index.html[/url]

I have read many good things about them, might suit you too.

Craig[/quote]

i have looked at them before. are they not a bit pricey?

ill be thrifting it in the second hand market.

[quote name='William James Easton' post='394417' date='Jan 29 2009, 11:26 AM']....Whats out there at the moment in the way of 2 x 12?....[/quote]
I'd listen to 2 Aguilar GS112 cabs and go from there. They are cheap, loud, reasonably light (for a non neo cabs) and have tons of bottom.

[quote name='basswesty' post='394537' date='Jan 29 2009, 01:40 PM']I've just ordered one of these,

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.html"]http://barefacedbass.com/index.html[/url]

I have read many good things about them, might suit you too.

Craig[/quote]

[quote name='William James Easton' post='394540' date='Jan 29 2009, 01:45 PM']i have looked at them before. are they not a bit pricey?[/quote]

Barefaced cabs are "not a bit pricey" indeed (see what i did there?!) ;) Sorry... They are a damn good bargain for the performance and weight advantages over more readily available cabs. As it says on the site, I still hold the Compact up as the best 1x15 cab I've ever heard. When I have some money for myself (instead of being put aside for MiniMert) I will be owning two.

[quote name='Merton' post='394572' date='Jan 29 2009, 02:11 PM']Barefaced cabs are "not a bit pricey" indeed (see what i did there?!) ;) Sorry... They are a damn good bargain for the performance and weight advantages over more readily available cabs. As it says on the site, I still hold the Compact up as the best 1x15 cab I've ever heard. When I have some money for myself (instead of being put aside for MiniMert) I will be owning two.[/quote]

go on then, what did you pay for it? they do look bloomin good....and light! I have a mini me due in may so the wife has cut down on my pocket money!

[quote name='William James Easton' post='394577' date='Jan 29 2009, 02:15 PM']go on then, what did you pay for it? they do look bloomin good....and light! I have a mini me due in may so the wife has cut down on my pocket money![/quote]
I don't own one. Yet. But I will, hopefully before the year is out!

[quote name='William James Easton' post='394583' date='Jan 29 2009, 02:20 PM']oh i see! read it wrong. how much they going for alex? (you do them right?)[/quote]
Looking back, it does make it look like I have one already... Sorry!

Alex is doing the Compact for £375 + £25 postage. The drivers have gone up in price though, so later in the year these will no doubt be going up a little bit...

[quote name='Merton' post='394587' date='Jan 29 2009, 02:23 PM']Looking back, it does make it look like I have one already... Sorry!

Alex is doing the Compact for £375 + £25 postage. The drivers have gone up in price though, so later in the year these will no doubt be going up a little bit...[/quote]

ooh that's a surprise, i thought it'd be more fore a boutique cab like that. well done that man!

[quote name='chris_b' post='394684' date='Jan 29 2009, 04:13 PM']Why buy new?[/quote]

I didn't say that. I was was just pointing out they aren't exactly cheap cabs.
And its not everyday you can get two second hand, just like that (even though i know a pair have been sold on here last year;-)