Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Well I’m off to see ,one love the Marley film, shall report back later 

I hope you enjoy. I did.

A mate from work asked me to go with him so I obliged. I don't usually go in for musical biopics, especially about artists I love. 

Maybe it's because I went in just hoping it wouldn't be rubbish, but I think they did a good job for Bob.

Also I was pleasantly surprised to see the cinema nearly full, with many young teenagers in attendance. 

If the movie is turning on the current new generation to Bob, reggae and a path to positivity in general then it's a worthy job well done imho. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Also I was pleasantly surprised to see the cinema nearly full, with many young teenagers in attendance. 

If the movie is turning on the current new generation to Bob, reggae and a path to positivity in general then it's a worthy job well done imho.

Thanks miles, yes it’s definitely positive if it reaches the younger audience, the cinema was fairly full and many young people there, 

I already knew the history of Bob from when I first bought Exodus around 77 but it was really good to see it in a film, I thought they did a great job of his life story, good to see a few shots of studio one too, I especially liked the part with the Wailing Wailers doing Simmer Down

I’d say it’s definitely worth a watch if you haven’t already seen it 

• Like 2

Loved the loads of authentic  1970s cars that featured strongly in the film, and  the warehouse punk scene put in for a real contrast, as well as Bob's music being superb of course!

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 13:03, SumOne said:

Truth wave Rights being one of my favourite reggae tunes

Hi SumOne , there’s some  info on here about the releases you might find interesting, lots of other links to look through too at the top, I like the one on the early labels 

https://www.downbeat-special.co.uk/truthsandrights.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi SumOne , there’s some  info on here about the releases you might find interesting, lots of other links to look through too at the top, I like the one on the early labels 

https://www.downbeat-special.co.uk/truthsandrights.html

Nice! 

(and just realised my auto type changed 'Truth and Rights' to 'Truth wave Rights' for some reason 🤨 babylon getting to it! 

• Haha 2

I have told this before (long time back) - I had the Heptones for a Sunday night show & the backing band simply didn't turn up.

I landed up playing every Heptones version track that I could find, with the guys doing vocals on the dance floor through my dj mic (several times).

The crowd loved it (& them)

😎

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I have told this before (long time back) - I had the Heptones for a Sunday night show & the backing band simply didn't turn up.

I landed up playing every Heptones version track that I could find, with the guys doing vocals on the dance floor through my dj mic (several times).

The crowd loved it (& them)

😎

Very cool T-h, things like that don’t happen very often, good times 

• Thanks 1

| have a copy of Freddie McGregor 'wine of violence' (which I dropped here a while back, it's a bit of a favourite of mine. Earlier today I was browsing my cd collection & came across a few that I'd bought but not listened to. A studio one cd offered the track, which is the 'original' recording (really?) I listened to & it just didn't do it for me, so I took to YouTube to have a look around - this is a direct steal, but (imo) loses nothing in 'translation' -

😎

• Like 1