Why become a member? ×

Jazz body Precision neck?

Pookus

Sorry if obvious / been asked before here!

Just wondered if anyone had put a precision neck on a jazz body. (I know it is quite common to put a jazz neck on a precision body). By precision neck I mean the wide one. I don't like jazz necks much they feel a bit crowded.

[quote name='Buzz' post='393208' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:45 PM']It's fairly common, Fender themselves offer artist models that do just that, the Mark Hoppus is a Jazz body with a P neck.[/quote]

True - but the Mark Hoppus bass still has one pick up. (Not the 2 of a jazz bass)

[quote name='Pookus' post='393210' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:49 PM']True - but the Mark Hoppus bass still has one pick up. (Not the 2 of a jazz bass)[/quote]

It's still a Jazz body, pickups are kind of irrelevant as that's just a personal choice for routing, and the neck has nothing to do with it.

Nothing to stop you doing a parts bass build and doing it however you want ;)

[quote name='Pookus' post='393205' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:40 PM']Sorry if obvious / been asked before here!

Just wondered if anyone had put a precision neck on a jazz body. (I know it is quite common to put a jazz neck on a precision body). By precision neck I mean the wide one. I don't like jazz necks much they feel a bit crowded.[/quote]

I had the same conundrum so had Mr.Shuker build me one!
Here she is:
[attachment=19307:ShukerJazz.jpg]

Lovely example if I do say so myself ;)

P.S. the nut is the std P bass width!

Edited by jonthebass

[quote name='jonthebass' post='393259' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:54 PM']I had the same conundrum so had Mr.Shuker build me one!
Here she is:
[attachment=19307:ShukerJazz.jpg]

Lovely example if I do say so myself ;)[/quote]

Thats lovely by the way - first Shuker I've seen that I've liked.

Pluck

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='393379' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:15 AM']Thats lovely by the way - first Shuker I've seen that I've liked.

Pluck[/quote]
I've had a brief twang on jonthebass's Shuker (when he bought my old Ramones/Sid P-bass) and will attest to its playability and quality. Very nice indeed

Sorry, off topic

Edited by Clarky

I've done it in the past and might do it again. I found the tone changed slightly in the direction of thumpy, I guess there's more wood to resonate with the thicker neck? Pastorius had a Precision neck that he used to rehearse on and then swapped it for a Jazz neck to perform and record. IIRC, he said the Precision neck was slower and harder to play and thus it developed his speed for fretless work on the thinner Jazz neck. I guess it also stopped him wearing down his fretless neck?
Funnily enough, Precision necks look really wrong on a Jazz ;)

I was looking for something like this too. Ended up with this:

[url="http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=3359"]http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=3359[/url]

The body is smaller than my Tokai P-bass and the neck is P-width (although not too fat/chunky). fantastic range of tones available. I'm now a full-on G&L convert.

Steve

Yes, I've got a japanese precision neck on a Warmoth jazz body with DiMarzios.

My second-favourite bass (after a '79 USA precision neck on a Mexican precision body with Kent Armstrong).

Nice to have the 'jazz sound' without the neck (The more the neck resembles a log, the better I like it ;)

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='393996' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:00 PM']really? i prefer the way a jazz looks with a precision neck.[/quote]

why would leo change the neck on his next model of bass...if the P neck was suitable
its a piece of wood which the player feels comfortable and at ease playing
so leo splits the split and gets the jazz pup configuration
designs the body shape to amplify a popular guitar shape and resizes the neck ...i guess to give better movement and feel

it is possible to have a precision body and neck and have jazz pups in it???

likewise jazz/jazz with a P pup

i think these things are so minor to make real difference

ie if you like a jazz neck...put it on anything..equally a P neck

[quote name='budget bassist' post='394778' date='Jan 29 2009, 06:11 PM']The mark hoppus sig is a jazz bass with a precision neck...

EDIT: beaten to it, it's a common thing though... i don't see how it would make any difference aside from being wider, it would still sound and look like a jazz bass.[/quote]

they dont look the same. i think a precision neck really makes a difference to the way a jazz looks, i can usually tell on for sale threads and stuff before ive even read the post if theres a precision neck on it.