Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

I’m familiar with “Get Lucky” but hadn’t listened to the rest of the album until it was mentioned here - there’s a couple of other tracks on there that I really like. Some weird stuff too !!

3 hours ago, SimonK said:

Just got the ZS10 Pros through and thought I would test them with Daft Punk's Random Access Memories based on the above discussion - pretty awesome, especially the bass guitar tone - something to aspire to!

...and after some googling it seems it was Nathan East, probably on a Yamaha BBNE2, and into a LA-2A levelling amplifier - so no way of replicating that sound easily!

• Haha 1

Update! Despite still having flu symptoms as well as hot and cold flushes I managed to play ok in the church practice session yesterday. We did Salvation is Here and Mighty to Save. 
The reason for the practice was to try and get that particular band to try and think more about their arrangements and how to build a song. I was an “extra” bassist. 
Using the IEMs was surprisingly ok, I borrowed my wife’s Soundmagic headphones she uses as monitors (she is a backing soprano) and my bass sounded great. So many wires around though!! 
it was hard to play along when I didn’t have anyone singing - when you are listening to the original song it’s easier to know where you are going but apart from a few missed notes I think I did ok. 
When we did mighty to save we were all asked to play a solo sort of thing so I went full Mike Dirnt (respectfully and in keeping with the song) but I nodded to the drummer and he went for it as well. I was praised for communicating with him to go with me! Really enjoyed playing with the team and they said I did ok. The guy I’m in a separate band (just started not performed live yet) was there too trying out and he said I sounded great. No one else had any issues with what I did. 
It was so great and I got a glimpse of what it would be like to lead a whole congregation into worship - what a blessing it would be!! I did ask and we do get ambient sounds through the IEMs too which will help me loads. 
I was shaking like a leaf at some points - combination of nerves and illness, but overall it was wonderful. I must have been doing ok for someone who is self taught and only picked up a bass 14 months ago. 
Hopefully doing it again in a few weeks. I’ll keep you all posted. 

Edited by Minininjarob
  • Like 6

Looking forward to tomorrow morning. I’m back at a church we moved from a couple of years ago to play at one of their last services before they merge with another local church and finally get a building to call their own - no more building everything from scratch every Sunday. I get to play with their worship pastor and great friend Stu Barbour and Terl Bryant who is just back from touring with Kendrick, Martin Barre and Barbara Dickson (not all at once!) I’ll try to hang onto their musical coattails….

• Like 1

I sold Terl Bryant a bookcase for £1 on ebay many years ago!  It was no reserve value, collection only from Solihull. He picked it up in a big Saab estate and said he had come up from the South Coast, but that was OK as he was playing a gig in (I think) Wolverhampton. Obviously I asked what instrument and who with, and we chatted about music in general and Graham Kendrick in particular.  A few days later a CD of The Acoustic Gospels came in the post, with an accompanying letter.  Lovely chap. This is still a CD I play regularly,  especially around Easter.

I wonder if he still has the bookcase?

Edited by Richard R
grammar
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I sold Terl Bryant a bookcase for £1 on ebay many years ago!  It was no reserve value, collection only from Solihull. He picked it up in a big Saab estate and said he had come up from the South Coast, but that was OK as he was playing a gig in (I think) Wolverhampton. Obviously I asked what instrument and who with, and we chatted about music in general and Graham Kendrick in particular.  A few days later a CD of The Acoustic Gospels came in the post, with an accompanying letter.  Lovely chap. This is still a CD I play regularly,  especially around Easter.

I wonder if he still has the bookcase?

I'll ask him tomorrow! And yes, he is a lovely chap and every time I work with him I learn a little more about how to play with a really good drummer. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SimonK said:

That sports hall must be fun acoustically - reminds me of my youth at cutting edge events in Littlehampton...

A big investment in the FOH system, an excellent tech team and a lot of self discipline by those with amps mean it is manageable - once they move into their new building suspect the whole learning process will start again.  

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

My church is considering using the ChurchSuite app to help organise everything, does anybody have experience of using it?  What are your thoughts?

I like it, it beats a spread sheet emailed every two months thats for sure.

Being able to swap with someone on the system is great, then the worship leader can just check who is on the rota the week before to and email songs out to everyone etc. We have our order of services on there too which is nice. Really easy to add unavailablity for the worship leader to organise the rota.

I certainly don't have to do much to do with the admin side so not sure what the set up side is like. Maybe a little be clunky on mobile but other than that I think its a great organiser, has certainly improved the worship teams organisation.

Edited by GoodShowSir
Spelling mistakes
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

My church is considering using the ChurchSuite app to help organise everything, does anybody have experience of using it?  What are your thoughts?

Very good - just basically for organising events, kids work, comms and everything. Rotas for worship is just a tiny part.

I’ve got it so my weeks worship rota syncs to the family calendar, I can arrange swaps and just put them in the system and it updates it for everyone.

It’s also fantastic for safeguarding means we can document every kids work session without effort. We have an iPad screwed to wall and parents register kids on arrival and take numbered wrist band. We then register kids and adults (all dbs checked) and manage ratios etc. and at end swap children for wrist bands. Previous church had registration set up to printer and printed sticker that got stuck on child back… doing this properly without it would be really laborious

Events can be added and registration and payment (if applicable) can all be done via church suite.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

I'm also pleased with it. One key feature is that you can add the rota to your calendar and then see the updated rota without having to manually add entries. This is useful, particularly if the rota changes!

• Thanks 1

If you are moving to IEMs having a method for the musicians to create their own mix really helps take the load off the person doing the FoH sound. With a digital desk this is much more feasible - either with a phone app, or with a dedicated control surface (we use the Behringer P16  monitor mixers as we have an X32 desk).

1 hour ago, pn_day said:

If you are moving to IEMs having a method for the musicians to create their own mix really helps take the load off the person doing the FoH sound. With a digital desk this is much more feasible - either with a phone app, or with a dedicated control surface (we use the Behringer P16  monitor mixers as we have an X32 desk).

I see the Behringer is one option with the individual mixers they provide, but doing it via people's phones seems a better longterm option as smartphones get cleverer and faster - what is the software/system that people use for this? I think I saw someone say that they just logged in and set their own mix on their phone...

It depends a bit on the mixer.

I use Mixing Station on my phone against a Qu32 desk, but the same app supports a huge variety of digital desks.

You can have it open to control the while desk, or open in personal monitor mode to just control one output.

Others use the Allen and Heath app, but I like Mixing Station.

Had band practice last night and it seems the Mixing Station App may be compatible with our system - I've been given permission to try it out...

Songs for this week:

King of Kings (Ligertwood, Ingram, 7127647) [D]
Open the Eyes of my Heart (Baloche, 2298355) [D]
The Lord's My Shepherd (Townend, 1585970) [D]
Reckless Love (Culver, Asbury, Jackson, 7089641) [D]
Mercy Road (James, Gauton, Hellebronth, 7084589) [E]

Some fun ones with excuse for doubling the motif on King of Kings, Fuzz on Reckless Love and slap on Mercy Road!

Last time I played King of Kings I listened back to the recording and realised that the keyboard player and I had both been putting little arpeggio fills in at the same times, but a couple of octaves apart and always slightly different to each other. It sounded terribly sophisticated,  and I bet we couldn't do it again if we tried!

33 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Last time I played King of Kings I listened back to the recording and realised that the keyboard player and I had both been putting little arpeggio fills in at the same times, but a couple of octaves apart and always slightly different to each other. It sounded terribly sophisticated,  and I bet we couldn't do it again if we tried!

I'd be interested to hear that - the song has a very recognisable motif and as we have no keyboardist this week it's up to me to make sure it gets in the right place!

Edited by SimonK

It was more than 6 months ago, so the YT service recording will  have been taken down and just the sermon kept up for reference. 

It was just little trills and fills rather than the main motif. Imagine " King of Kings, (plinkety-plonk) Majesty (plonkety-plink) ". But with slightly more finess!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

It was more than 6 months ago, so the YT service recording will  have been taken down and just the sermon kept up for reference. 

It was just little trills and fills rather than the main motif. Imagine " King of Kings, (plinkety-plonk) Majesty (plonkety-plink) ". But with slightly more finess!

Isn't this the one that can has a descending bassline during the chorus, akin to that in Bach's Air on a G string?

A, E/g#, F#m, A/e, D, A/c#, Bm, D/a, repeat...

5 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Screenshot_20240309_151220_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.a705be720cc108a7a5bfb5e66ed15229.jpg

I never see the full piano music,  either chord charts or lead lines, so never get a specific bass part. This is the one I was thinking of.

Different King of Kings! We do that one as well, but the song we are doing tomorrow is the Hillsong one: