Why become a member? ×

behringer bd121

funkydoug

hi folks- a quick question about the controversial snansamp bass driver clone the BD121. I got one of these to try it out and my results are that it sounds VERY GOOD but there is a major fault. when the drive dial is turned past about 40% or the signal peaks through hitting a few big notes I get a digital sounding clpping noise. its a bit like a 'chirp', but not at all musical or even useable.
any one else had the same experience? given the price I would buy another one (and test it in the shop) if this is a one off fault but if its a common problem then I guess I have to put it down to experience and start saving up for that sansamp!

cheers guys, doug.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='390563' date='Jan 24 2009, 06:24 PM']Amybe your bass is too loud for it. Got actives?[/quote]
Thanks for your reply Mr. Foxen - I should have been clearer about that. I'm using a Japanese Fender Aerodyne Jazz with P and J pickups. The fault is worse when using the P pup so I think that the big hits from the bottom end are overloading the behringer but its a passive bass so I wouldn't have thought it would have been a problem. There must be much more powerful pups out there!
cheers, D

Edited by funkydoug

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='390643' date='Jan 24 2009, 08:32 PM']Mine doesn't do that.[/quote]

No neither does mine, I've got a few basses with pretty 'hot' pickups plus I drive fuzzes,overdrives,distortions, God-knows-what etc, into mine as it's the last in the FX chain.
Would suggest you've got a faulty one....send it back to the shop for replacement(?)

[quote name='nick' post='390924' date='Jan 25 2009, 01:52 PM']God-knows-what etc, into mine as it's the last in the FX chain.[/quote]
Nick has raised a point, Is there any other pedals in your chain Doug that might be the cause?

Have you tried it with any other basses?

Edited by WarPig

[quote name='WarPig' post='392355' date='Jan 27 2009, 01:24 AM']Nick has raised a point, Is there any other pedals in your chain Doug that might be the cause?

Have you tried it with any other basses?[/quote]

thanks for the replies guys. I seems like I've got a dud. I don't use any other pedals before the BD121, even when I was trying to 'protect' it by putting a limiter infront it still clipped really bad. also, if I took a line straight out of the limiter or even straight from the bass into the desk (to test the pups for problems) it all sounded like it should.
Cheers, D

Edited by funkydoug

[quote name='funkydoug' post='390515' date='Jan 24 2009, 05:12 PM']hi folks- a quick question about the controversial snansamp bass driver clone the BD121. I got one of these to try it out and my results are that it sounds VERY GOOD but there is a major fault. when the drive dial is turned past about 40% or the signal peaks through hitting a few big notes I get a digital sounding clpping noise. its a bit like a 'chirp', but not at all musical or even useable.
any one else had the same experience? given the price I would buy another one (and test it in the shop) if this is a one off fault but if its a common problem then I guess I have to put it down to experience and start saving up for that sansamp!

cheers guys, doug.[/quote]

Is it a really loud, horrible squawking crunch; louder than the signal? My Behringer V-amp did that.

Naaaah.
Just buy another BDI21 (actually, if you kept the receipt, it's just a matter of having it replaced ;) ).
Once you find a working one, it won't let you down that easily :)
I just want to say again: mine was dropped and a bass fell on top of it, and it still works, although a pot needs repair. A friend of mine has been using a BDI for the past two years without a single issue. And many others, as well.
If I had the need for a BDI21, I would buy another one straightaway.
By the way, you have to remember that all electrical items have a 2-year-warranty in the EU :huh: Don't throw away the receipt.

Anyway, try a Zoom B2 as well, it costs more, but it has a Sansamp emulation which is supposed to be very good (I tried it superficially, since I don't have the need for such a thing, but it seemed quite good, although this kind of effect needs extensive tweaking :P ), I don't like how the setup works (it feels "crippled", especially on the delays), but the general quality of the effects seemed satisfactory.

Edited by Boneless

Yeah, but the Sansamp is like, five times the price of a BDI ;)

And, BTW, always keep the receipt, ESPECIALLY with a Behringer.
Of course, if you find a good 2nd-hand deal for a Sansamp, and you're still willing to spend at least three times the price of a BDI...
I'd suggest a Hartke VXL, actually. Does a very similar job, it's sturdy, and it's cheap (you might find it 2nd-hand at just a tenner or two over the price of a new BDI).

Edited by Boneless