Why become a member? ×

Musicman SUB5

Ghosts Over Japan

Hello again fellow bass chatters! I've decided its time for a change, my last three basses have been musicman styled basses and I'd quite like to try something new!
So heres my musicman SUB5 in "textured black" made on the third of november 2003
It has an active two band eq and a previous owner (veils) had a custom pick guard made for it which is a standard black pick guard but as SUB's came with those horrible metal pick guards this had to be made to fit around the pickup as its the old smoother styling pickup which is alot better for resting your thumbs on than newer musicman pickups! Has a few small dings to the headstock but other than that its in very nice condition. Anyway, enough talk, more bass!
[attachment=19153:PICT0042.JPG]
[attachment=19155:PICT0045.JPG]
[attachment=19154:PICT0043.JPG]
[attachment=19157:PICT0046.JPG]
First two pics are pretty good I think! Sorry their so big!
I'm mainly looking for a trade but if I get desperate it may just go for a cash price but untill then I want a new bass!
I'll consider anything really, yamaha, G&L, schecter, jackson but ideally either a status, warwick $$, lakland, or a spector four or five string but has to be fretted ;)

Cai

Edited by Ghosts Over Japan

[quote name='Beedster' post='390564' date='Jan 24 2009, 06:27 PM']SUB5s are great basses, by far the best 5er I've played, and, somewhat strangely, they sound much more like a Stingray than does the SR5.
Chris[/quote]

Couldn't agree more! you can get so many tones from them but currently im using it for a lovely warm sound! ;)

[quote name='Ghosts Over Japan' post='390910' date='Jan 25 2009, 01:22 PM']Anyone fancy trading for a warwick $$?
I've never really fancied a warwick before and I always said I'd never own one because there getting pretty but after trying a $$ i was quite amazed by the feeling of the neck and the choice of tones![/quote]

If I hadn't just sold my $$ to Budget Bassist, i would have been very tempted!

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='391361' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:22 AM']hey Cai,

nice SUB5,you should have no bother getting it sold and getting a $$ with the money.

good luck with the sale[/quote]
I know but with being in a new band and practising every week and writing alot of new stuff I cant afford to have any amount of time without a nice bass really ;)
hence the idea of a trade atleast then I can get a bass on the day instead of waiting for delivery or sorting out a buying place ect.
but at some point its likely I will sell anyway if I dont get a nice trade.

thank you and if you see anyone with a $$ be sure to point them this way! :P
Cai

[quote name='Ghosts Over Japan' post='396255' date='Jan 31 2009, 05:11 PM']Not looking for a warwick anymore! At all! It was a time of madness that is now over! spector or status anyone? just throw a few ideas at me!

BUMP[/quote]

If your into the whole MusicMan thing maybe try a Lakeland, they're a similar kind of animal but they take the MM sound way further (in my opinion anyway).

Jumping to a Spector/Warwick sounding bass is a pretty big leap in tone/feel. I mean when I play a MusicMan, I wanna beat the sh1t outta it. Then if I'm playing a Warwick I don't feel the need to be so aggressive, I don't think they respond as well to heavy handedness. (saying this my Fretless Thumb loves being bitchslapped!!)

Or cheaper option - Get Status to make you a graphite replacement neck. Your MM will feel like a machine.

Tbh I'd say a $$ or similar value bass would be an honest trade, I'd doubt many people would part for more than that. But good luck anyway dude hope you find a sweet deal somewhere! ;)

[quote name='faz_man' post='396284' date='Jan 31 2009, 05:51 PM']If your into the whole MusicMan thing maybe try a Lakeland, they're a similar kind of animal but they take the MM sound way further (in my opinion anyway).

Jumping to a Spector/Warwick sounding bass is a pretty big leap in tone/feel. I mean when I play a MusicMan, I wanna beat the sh1t outta it. Then if I'm playing a Warwick I don't feel the need to be so aggressive, I don't think they respond as well to heavy handedness. (saying this my Fretless Thumb loves being bitchslapped!!)

Or cheaper option - Get Status to make you a graphite replacement neck. Your MM will feel like a machine.

Tbh I'd say a $$ or similar value bass would be an honest trade, I'd doubt many people would part for more than that. But good luck anyway dude hope you find a sweet deal somewhere! ;)[/quote]
Absolutly! I agree warwicks are definatly in a completly tonal range than musicman but I've had a few musicman shaped basses now and just fancy a change but I've decided warwick is a nono and yes laklands are LOVELY, especially the jazz style ones they do.

I cant afford to send off for a status neck as they are suprisingly expensive now and i dont think I'd benefit from one as i want a completly different bass now.
As for spectors I've always loved the feel of them and the shape and the tone so I'd be happy with one of those!

Cheers!
Cai

I have a clean Yamaha TRB4ii in blue (not the usual scabby orange) that I don't really use.... interesting? Much undervalued bass. They were proper money when new, I haven't a clue what it's worth now really.

Where are you BTW?

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='mogli66' post='396503' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:41 PM']Would you consider a Schecter Baron H? Almost Brand New.[/quote]

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='396524' date='Jan 31 2009, 11:14 PM']I have a clean Yamaha TRB4ii in blue (not the usual scabby orange) that I don't really use.... interesting? Much undervalued bass. They were proper money when new, I haven't a clue what it's worth now really.

Where are you BTW?[/quote]
I did get really excited when i heard the word schecter but its a model I've never been keen on and I the only yamaha thats ever taken my fancy is a nathen east but I doubt I'll get a trade for one of those!

Sorry lads!
Cai

Edited by Ghosts Over Japan