Why become a member? ×

Interesting one, went to see Bruce Springsteen at BST Hyde Park on Saturday night and he was not using IEM’s but relying on monitors both at his main stage and lower stage positions. Interestingly every instrument on stage was wireless including the horn section with the exception of drums and percussion. Given the number of instruments in the E Street Band that is an awful lot of wireless channels!

Had a good gig on Sat, other than a rather silly bit of user error at the start with the mixer. The  XR18 is working out well. Now got 3 of us on IEMs because of it. 

I am still struggling with keeping my right ear in though. Tried quite a few different foam tips. All good for a while but then comes lose. 

So finally going to get ear impressions made. I’ve found a place local and they charge £60. 
I don’t really want to spend more

on new IEM’s at this stage, and really do like the MX 3 pros that I already have. So the idea is to get custom ear tips made. MEE Audio do these, but are based in the USA and to seems a long winded process. 

Im looking for more local recommendations. I know about the guy in Ireland, but anyone got any other suggestions? Do these companies actually do this sort of thing or do they just re house the whole lot in new shells? 

Cheers. Looking forward to finally having a stress free gig 😁

Edited by dave_bass5

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I am still struggling with keeping my right ear in though. Tried quite a few different foam tips. All good for a while but then comes lose. 

So finally going to get ear impressions made. I’ve found a place local and they charge £60. 

Interested to hear how you get on - my left ear just comes out all the time, it won't stay in at all. The right one never falls out.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Interested to hear how you get on - my left ear just comes out all the time, it won't stay in at all. The right one never falls out.

Well I guess we could swap an ear each, then only one of us need get the customs made 😂

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, JPJ said:

Interesting one, went to see Bruce Springsteen at BST Hyde Park on Saturday night and he was not using IEM’s but relying on monitors both at his main stage and lower stage positions. Interestingly every instrument on stage was wireless including the horn section with the exception of drums and percussion. Given the number of instruments in the E Street Band that is an awful lot of wireless channels!

A lot of channels - but can make life a lot easier in a way. Ofcom co-ordinate frequencies for such events outside of the typical shared mic licenses that are typically used. I'd wager they are all patched via Dante - all devices get plugged into a pair of routers (for redundancy) via ethernet. Way, way easier than messing with a spaghetti of cables. Everything is digitally routed with an ID, so you don't have to worry so much about plugging into the right socket. Just turn on the rig, plug in the two ethernet cables from the wireless rack into the main pair or routers, plug in the two cables for the mixing desk... patched. 

Also worth mentioning that the higher end wireless systems can run in high density mode (lower power, typically gives you 30m coverage (which is more than enough to get from the wireless receivers on the stage wings) - but gives you circa 8 channels per 1 mhz). For comparison in a 606-623 shared mic environment where you can typically deploy 12 (standard) wireless units, you are now looking at 136 channels of high density wireless. Pretty cool stuff.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ive emailed Lugs to see if i can get my MEE audio IEM’s re shelled. If not, well ill need to get some new ones.

In the mean time, im just trying out some Spinfit CP360’s, which don't seem to bad for silicone tips. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Ok, change of plan. 

Anyone got any opinion on the Lugs S2? They are at the top end of my budget (well, over twice really) but could afford them if they are recommend. 

Im still thinking, ill probably get Mee Audio to make me custom tips for £150 if the costs start to mount up. 

Edited by dave_bass5

4 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ok, change of plan. 

Anyone got any opinion on the Lugs S2? They are at the top end of my budget (well, over twice really) but could afford them if they are recommend. 

Im still thinking, ill probably get Mee Audio to make me custom tips for £150 if the costs start to mount up. 

So why not the reshell of your MEE audios via lugs? That’s where I’d be going with your budget - You like the sound, they work for you. Would be proven and still cheaper than the s2.

Dont do custom tips - I guarantee you’ll still want customs. Cut out that waste of money and go straight for the end game. It’ll be cheaper in the long run and put the biggest smile on your face.

15 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

So why not the reshell of your MEE audios via lugs? That’s where I’d be going with your budget - You like the sound, they work for you. Would be proven and still cheaper than the s2.

Dont do custom tips - I guarantee you’ll still want customs. Cut out that waste of money and go straight for the end game. It’ll be cheaper in the long run and put the biggest smile on your face.

As i mentioned in private, ive not heard back from Lugs at all, and ive asked 3 times over the past year or so, but i did see a message on his FB page saying he has stopped doing re shells at the moment so he can concentrate on producing his own IEM’s.

This sort of puts me off placing an order and having no real comm’s. 

The custom tips are attractive, due to the price, and i like the idea that i can still use my MX Pro 3, but yeah, the real pleasure would be full custom. It’s just i need to sort things out pretty quickly, but dont have a pro budget. 

I ordered a pair of ZS10 Pros as they were cheaper on Prime Day.

However how do you tell which is left and right? The instructions seem to apply that it is marked on the earpieces but I can't see anything. Where should I be looking? Also how do you know which confectioning on the cable goes into which earpiece? Again there are no obvious markings. I'm probably being really stupid, but I've just spent 10 minutes looking closely at all the parts and I really can't see anything.

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

However how do you tell which is left and right? The instructions seem to apply that it is marked on the earpieces but I can't see anything. Where should I be looking? Also how do you know which confectioning on the cable goes into which earpiece? Again there are no obvious markings. I'm probably being really stupid, but I've just spent 10 minutes looking closely at all the parts and I really can't see anything.

I just put them in my ears and if they felt right they were. 

That cable really caught me out. I spent ages trying to find the marking’s on it. I ended up just plugging them in and panned left and right and swapped until it all sounded correct. 

24 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

However how do you tell which is left and right? The instructions seem to apply that it is marked on the earpieces but I can't see anything. 

My previous ZS10s had a mark on one side as to what was left or right (although I never remembered which that was), but you get used to it really quickly that they only actually fit one way round. Now I look at my current ones I don't see a mark.

One of the ways that my dyslexia manifests itself is that I can often find spatial orientation difficult, so there is no obvious left and right for me. Also I have weird shaped ears (so far I've not come across any ear buds that fit comfortably) so I won't know if they aren't fitting properly because I've got them the wrong way around or simply because they don't fit my ears. Just for my piece of mind it would be helpful to know which is the correct earpiece for each ear.

I've just had a good look all over both earpieces and there are no obvious left and right margins on them, or markings that only appear on one of them. And this is despite the fact that the manual clearly states that they are marked left and right. The connectors on the cable clearly have a preferred orientation because there is an indent on one side of the plug but no indication whether this faces inwards or outwards. I've just a quick try without fully plugging anything in and it appears to be possible the plug either earpiece into either plug on the cable and also each way round in respect to the plug. More confused than ever...

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I have had exactly the same, the instructions seem to imply there is an R or L on the ear pieces but spend ages looking and couldn't find anything

41 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

One of the ways that my dyslexia manifests itself is that I can often find spatial orientation difficult, so there is no obvious left and right for me. Also I have weird shaped ears (so far I've not come across any ear buds that fit comfortably) so I won't know if they aren't fitting properly because I've got them the wrong way around or simply because they don't fit my ears. Just for my piece of mind it would be helpful to know which is the correct earpiece for each ear.

I've just had a good look all over both earpieces and there are no obvious left and right margins on them, or markings that only appear on one of them. And this is despite the fact that the manual clearly states that they are marked left and right. The connectors on the cable clearly have a preferred orientation because there is an indent on one side of the plug but no indication whether this faces inwards or outwards. I've just a quick try without fully plugging anything in and it appears to be possible the plug either earpiece into either plug on the cable and also each way round in respect to the plug. More confused than ever...

You would think that your ear canals go inwards but in fact they go down at an angle towards the your face. Think of the angle of a headset mic. As for which is left and right, I need to get mine out to check later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

If you can orient them this way, this is the left and right ones. 

Screenshot_20230713-1003182.thumb.png.901fa1a60c58651f34c3ed9559b7c628.png

• Like 1

That's great! thanks.

One final question which way around does the cable go? the plugs on the cable are flush on one side and slightly indented on the other. Which side faces outwards? I tried to take a photo to show this but with the mouldings being transparent it isn't even remotely obvious. If necessary I'll post a diagram later today.