Why become a member? ×

Jean Jacques Burnel Signature model

steve-soar

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='388979' date='Jan 22 2009, 08:11 PM']Even I wouldn't say single-handed, and he's been my favourite bass player for 30 years-but he was certainly right up there at the forefront. I doubt he'd be too bothered about a Fender sig model now-he loves his Shukers, and he was very happy about the fact that he was able to support a home-grown Luthier when I met him last year.[/quote]

I'm glad he did.
My Shuker P5 is very much the JJB bass in essence.

>JJ was a bit of a Prima Donna...and not a very nice person when the mood took

normal kind of guy then..
about the punk thing.. punk is an attitude.. you can play your music and be punk if you have the right attitude.. most people didnt' regard the stranglers as punk musically but they certainly the attitude.. i don't think invented punk but i'm the same age as you beat so you can work the rest out for yourself. ;)

[quote name='tauzero' post='392975' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:49 PM']Is this the Brunel chap you're all on about?

[/quote]

Nah, That's Ikkie, one of his ancestors ...
Mind you, he made great bridges and I think TBBC uses his cables as the thick strings on his 9 string bass ;)

Edited by OldGit

Loved JJB's sound - usually Hiwatt amps, I believe. At the time it inspired me to get a similar noise from my P Bass and a Fender Bassman 10 with master volume - although rather quieter, sadly...

In the late 70's/early 80's I was lucky enough to record quite a lot at funky old TW Studios in Fulham, London where the Stranglers recorded their first 2 or 3 albums. Shame, for me at least, that they ended up doing "Golden Brown" and the like.

Hard to convey now the impact that Jaco, JJB, Stanley Clarke and a few others made back then.

[quote name='thebeat' post='389119' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:09 PM']JJ was a bit of a Prima Donna...and not a very nice person when the mood took him. ;)[/quote]

He could be a bit of a knob, I know, in his younger days. Calmed down a lot nowadays, and generally regarded as a decent bloke by most who've met him that I've read about. Couldn't have been nicer when I met him-which I hate to keep banging on about, but it meant a lot to me.

I dont think enough people know who he is to warrant a bass in his name,he is very good,black and white is a briliant album but i cant really see fender bringing out a Hugh cornwell telecaster either,if you get my drift.

Edited by YouMa

Being a cynic, I'd say the only way Fender would make a JJB sig bass was if they could make a bunch of money out of it. This was why they stopped the 'Arry sig and undoubtably why they started doing it again following Maiden's resurgence with their latest tour...

Edited by johnnylager

Peaches the best bass line? I think partly because it is recognisable by the first three notes. "I'll name that tune in three!".

I think the Stranglers had the embodiment of punk, but not really the ethos. Their music was re-moulded to fit the emerging punk scene. A number of harder pub rock bands saw that opening.

Their individual musicianship, writting skills and unique band sound set them apart from the rest. The fact that they IMHO became a sort of bastardised version of prog near the end of the Cornwell era.

JJ was the inspiration for a huge array of spotty young oiks to pick up a bass and try to join in with London Lady, Hanging Around, Something Better Change. Thanks JJ ;)

Finally, yeah he could shred. Listen to him play School Mam live, the 77 Hope & Anchor gig is a great example.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='393870' date='Jan 28 2009, 05:43 PM']Bet you wouldn't say that to his face.[/quote]

For me JJB was one of the coolest men to ever pick up a bass. He just made it look like an offensive weapon.

Check out the freddy laker song he did on yout tube if you want to one of the best bass intros to a song ever.

[quote name='Rayman' post='388956' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:50 PM']Yeah, I wouldn't say single handedly either, all bass players over the years have coloured modern music in some way, even Sid Vicious. Bruce Foxton is another very influential player from the [i]early[/i] punk era.[/quote]

I read in an interview that JJ reckons no other punk bass player could touch him. If you count the Jam as punk, then Bruce Foxton could.

[quote name='qed' post='388902' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:07 PM']>I don't like being told who and who I shouldn't like/respect

deary me.i'm not telling you to do anything mate.. i was trying to point you in a direction that you might find interesting
must admit i do find it amusing though that you have that sig and have never heard of the greatest bass player of the 70s.. the man who singlehandedly rescued bass guitar from the oblivion that hendrix had (albeit inadvertently ) placed it and made it cool again.. he put the bass back on the map again..and for you jazz farts.. bass is the lead instrument in the stranglers.. this was the first time this had happened in 'popular' music apart from a few who tracks. that is why he is so important.. oh and you mean cliff burton... jason newstead. who is he? :-/[/quote]

The Punk spirit is still alive and kicking...hurrah!

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='393874' date='Jan 28 2009, 05:48 PM']I read in an interview that JJ reckons no other punk bass player could touch him.[/quote]

I've read the same interview-not sure he was being entirely serious there.

[quote]If you count the Jam as punk, then Bruce Foxton could.[/quote]

Which IMHO they weren't-but then I'm not really sure the Stranglers were either. Foxton is an excellent player, though.

[quote name='qed' post='389035' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:33 PM']why did some of from that era take up bass then.. was it because there was this french guy in this band with the 'most' attitude that rode a triumph bonneville.. black belt in karate and was fighting women off with a stick and was rated by all and sundry as the best bass player in the land.. yeah me too.. :P[/quote]
Not me ;)

• 1 month later...