Why become a member? ×

Fender Jaguar bass?

zukathon

Hello
I was wondering whether any of the forum members owned or had any experiences of the Jaguar bass?

I'm in the market for a new instrument and have been drawn to the aesthetics of it but am not sure whether I should stick with something known and trusted. It looks like it's pretty well-made from the official Fender description, but you know what these ad depts are like.

I'm hoping there are some good experiences with it out there, but would appreciate any honest opinions to the contrary if that so be.

cheers guys. ;)

Never tried a Jaguar but I left this on Fender's forum ages ago......
You know Fender have put out the Jaguar bass, well I have always liked the look of a Mustang but been put off by the short scale. Im probably alone in thinking this or ill or something but wouldnt a 34 inch scale Mustang be cool???? All American build, Am Standard Jazz neck dimensions and finishing, graphite reinforced, rosewood board,20 frets, 70's logo, unpainted headstock, correctly enlarged Mustang body size to fit the longer scale length, Am standard P. pickup with black rounded covers, vol and tone controls with Jazz knobs on the little control plate, chromed hardware, same shape pickguard in 3 ply mint green, maybe Nitro finished in the competition orange, surf green, sherwood green metallic ,lake placid blue, candy apple red, olympic white or white blonde with a tortoiseshell plate, black with a black plate with or without the competition stripes.................Just something I might consult the custom shop with. Maybe it would be my signature model if I sold millions of records haha....Might even be unique !!!!

hey, i own the jaguar bass and i must say it is a really nice bass! The tones you can get out of the jaguar are really bright and vibrante depending on where abouts you have the tone switchs at. The neck is one of the nicest necks i have ever played all in all a really nice and easy bass to play

hope it helped

(Sorry about the spelling)

I've got one and I love it. Plays like a dream - beautiful slim neck. Passive there are a huge range of sounds as you can have the pups singly or together in series or parallel. Have to be honest and say I'm not sure exactly what this means but the sound is very different - the blurb says Jazz bass /P-bass sounds? Switching on the active circuit gives a huge boost - it isn't very complicated - just the on/off swicth then two rollers to add bass or treble but is really adds some oomph to the sound. This is controlled by the 'master' tone control, too, so you really can get enormous variation. I've found active/passive are difficult to switch between in real time due to the change in output - probably best to find one you are happy with a leave it be rather than keep fiddling with settings. But, it is available so you can if you want. I tend to keep it active and switch from series to parallel for a change in tone, together with assorted knob twiddling.

Small glitch with mine is that there is a soft but annoying buzz when you switch on the active circuit that disappears when you touch anything metal on the guitar - I've just taken it in today for it's 'warranty service' so hope it will be history when I get it back.

Looks are always subjective but I think it is cool as anything - that retro styling really hits the button for me and, with 'similar' build quality and playability, is what swung it for me over a MIA Jazz when it came to handing over my credit card. Mine is black and I've just got a replacement 3-ply gloss black/white/black scratchplate through the post today - no bass to put it on yet but I reckon it will look even cooler.

A month before Christmas I saw one in a local band who do alot of Stranglers/Clash cover versions. Me and my bass-playing friend weren't too sure when we saw the red Jaguar bass come out. Well, it looked like the kind of bass a guitarist might pick when 'lumbered' with 'bass duties'...

Happy to report though that the Jaguar bass ripped into those Burnel basslines like a good'un. It had all the classic Fender honk, burp and 'dumpf' (what a strange world planet bass is when honking and burping are good qualities to have). I was impressed, still don't understand the top controls though...

All of your input is much appreciated and valued.

I've been solely playing a '67 EB-3 for about the last 15 years and have decided (reluctantly) to retire it. I love playing it - an absolute ease to do so - but recent recording sessions have exposed its limitations up against other modern instruments in the band. I think it's earned a long rest and who knows what the future holds. Anyway...so like someone leaving a long term relationship and back in the world of singles, I've found myself in the market for a new bass and a bit unsure of what's good out there. After playing the Gibson for so long, I don't want to go for what I'd describe as the 'norm' and so thought of the Jaguar.

I went down to my local shop this eve to try one and out and I've got to say that it didn't really do it for me. Just personal opinion, but it didn't feel right. Couldn't even tell you exactly what the problem with it was.

I popped into the shop over the road on the off chance that I'd just played a duff one. They didn't have one, but the guy pulled down an American Standard Jazz for me to try instead. Wow. I think I'm in love! Not a bass I would have necessarily gone for on paper, but a real joy to play. Just need to choose a colour now...

Thanks again everyone - what a great forum this is!

Got a black one meself, and as said already, the build quality is typical Japanese Fender. Bloomin good!

Mine is quite heavy and the active bass and treble are basically an off/on switch. Also when playing a gig with a decent size lighting set up, mines buzzes like mad when in active mode.

The neck is great and it is very stable over the course of a gig.

Regarding the buzzing, if you check Harmony Central there is some advice on how to cure this as Fender dont want to know apparently.

Personally, if I was looking for a Fender I would go for the Geddy Lee jazz as I havent heard a bad word about it. Also the guy from The Killers gigs one and Nick Seymour from Crowded House and he rates the Geddy highly.

Jez

I own one of these girls, a lovely red one too :P

Was my first 'proper' bass, and reading previous posts I totally agree with people's reviews, it is a beautiful bass.

Really versatile, great neck, and I personally love the retro look. It is definitely worth the money (as a passive bass).

The pre - amp is not great, and so the active sound is pretty poor compared to my other actives (Spector Euro, also have a Status Kingbass coming sunday ;)).........And mine also makes a funny noise when you turn her over to active.......

But for a passive bass they are superb. Open pole pickups aren't great for slap so keep that in mind, tends to complain at that.

I still have mine, and even though she hangs on my wall I still use her and couldn't part with.

Hope that helps good sir.

(Sam)

[quote name='artisan' post='387219' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:05 AM']i owned a black one & have to say it was a really nice bass,the only downside for me was the preamp-i just couldn't get "that" sound from it,but i am a fussy old blues fart.
i should think it will excel in a rock/punk type of band,but they do look cool don't they.[/quote]

I have this now! love it. perfect for me. except if i had my way i would pull out the active circuts and just have a lovely passive sound. feels like a jazz but has a lovely. Excellent bass for the price.

I was tempted by the Jag Bass when I was shopping for a Precision a couple of weeks ago, but the only colour I like is the one that isn't available in the UK:

Edit: But the Fender tortoise-shell scratchplate is foul. Clarky swapped the tort plate on the P Bass I bought from him for a celluloid WD one, and I'm so glad he did. The above bass would benefit from similar treatment.

Edited by Jono Bolton

I've had mine for about 18 months and it became my main gigging bass pretty much immediately. love the tone (mainly only use it on passive) and the look. quality is spot on too.

the only minor niggle is that it's a touch neck heavy compared to my P. Not a big issue but if I had to name a fault that would be it.