Why become a member? ×

At last - a Gibson for silly money

Happy Jack

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIBSON-1968-NON-REVERSE-THUNDERBIRD-BASS-EX-OASIS_W0QQitemZ280304113845QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item280304113845&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIBSON-1968-NON-REVE...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

They are very rare. Still look 'orrible though...

Think he's a bit mixed up on it's provenance though. Guigsy played Fenders, i thought Gem Archer (rhythm guitar) played a non-reverse firebird.

EDIT for awesome quote : "A bass of this calliber will not be available again for this give away price"

I used to own an RD Artist '77, IMO Gibson's best bass. It was my second best bass, behind my Warwick Corvette. Not exactly known for their world-beating basses are they?

Edited by lemmywinks

What Gibson have done for the guitar world they just haven't back up in the bass world at all. The Gibson Thunderbird is a flawed masterpiece, great rock sounding bass, lovely neck, nice light body, just ergonomically bad. Full of neck dive, bridge should be redesigned completely and the over-sized headstock and thin nut are a recipe for disaster as the number of snapped headstocks will show.

The EB range of basses sound OK but they aren't great to play. They still have the 3 point bridge, all mahogany constructon with the neck / headstock snapping issue and like the Thunderbird they aren't the most versitile of basses. The short scale limits the sustain and resonance in my opinion but, like the Gibson Thunderbird do have a unique sound which for some styles of music can sound really good.

The Artist series was a deviation from the usual Gibson formula of all mahogany construction but they weighed an absolute ton.

Gibson pioneered some classic shapes in the guitar world such as the Les Paul and he radical designs of the Flying V and Explorer but during the 60s, 70s and 80s to an extent Fender left Gibson in the shade when it came to basses. Nice though some of Gibsons basses are they just couldn't get a world beating design to rival Fender's designs. They just didn't make them versatile at all.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='385596' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:23 PM']The Artist series was a deviation from the usual Gibson formula of all mahogany construction but they weighed an absolute ton.[/quote]

Too true! I had it on a very long strap (looks ace!) but there was about 3 trees worth of wood in there so it was extremely uncomfortable. Don't think Gibson ever got a bass neck profile right either. The RD and every TBird i've played felt clumsy, like it didn't really want you to play it.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='385622' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:53 PM']every TBird i've played felt clumsy, like it didn't really want you to play it.[/quote]

+1 yeah that sums it up.
I love the sound and look of the T bird and Flying V basses but they do just fight back.

Guess I'm just not dominant enough to handle them ;)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='385555' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:53 PM']They are very rare. Still look 'orrible though...

Think he's a bit mixed up on it's provenance though. Guigsy played Fenders, i thought Gem Archer (rhythm guitar) played a non-reverse firebird.

EDIT for awesome quote : "A bass of this calliber will not be available again for this give away price"

I used to own an RD Artist '77, IMO Gibson's best bass. It was my second best bass, behind my Warwick Corvette. Not exactly known for their world-beating basses are they?[/quote]

sorry,this WAS guigsy's bass...i bought it direct from him...as hes a personnel friend of mine.

and YES it is a give away price...if you can find me one for less,then ill take 2..

hope ya well..
jj

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='385519' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:27 PM'];) :P :) its got "NO BRAKES"... LOL! does that mean once you start playing you can't stop.

Seriously though, if this is all original then its worth bundles. Non-reverse Thunderbirds just don't turn up for sale at all.[/quote]

This is all original...its only had 3 owners including me.its been looked after immensly..clean as a whistle..its worth far more but i need a quick sale...its a beauty and is killing me to have it up for sale.
but needs must...

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='387546' date='Jan 21 2009, 02:23 PM']This is all original...its only had 3 owners including me.its been looked after immensly..clean as a whistle..its worth far more but i need a quick sale...its a beauty and is killing me to have it up for sale.
but needs must...[/quote]

It's a collector's item, not a player's bass. Its perceived value derives only from the fact that it is a rare design, and it was owned by the bassist from Oasis. It's only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='387550' date='Jan 21 2009, 02:26 PM']It's a collector's item, not a player's bass. Its perceived value derives only from the fact that it is a rare design, and it was owned by the bassist from Oasis. It's only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

S.P.[/quote]

obviously youve never played the non reverse thunderbird?
this is probably my best playing bass..taking into acount im a Lakland Endorsee,Fender UK Endorsee and Yamaha bass..

but yes,its only worth as much as someone will give me for it...

and for me,Guigsy has probably tainted the sale some what..not exactly the greatest of players.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='385622' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:53 PM']Too true! I had it on a very long strap (looks ace!) but there was about 3 trees worth of wood in there so it was extremely uncomfortable. Don't think Gibson ever got a bass neck profile right either. The RD and every TBird i've played felt clumsy, like it didn't really want you to play it.[/quote]

The RD Artist bass was originaly made for John Entwistle.it was to be his "signature" bass..hense the "artist" title and slight resemblance to the Tbird.
never played one...altho,id love one,bein an Entwistle fan.

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='387540' date='Jan 21 2009, 02:15 PM']and YES it is a give away price...if you can find me one for less,then ill take 2..

hope ya well..
jj[/quote]

Wasn't saying the value was incorrect, more the "bass of this calliber" bit. Far better basses go for a fraction of this i'm afraid. And yes i am well, thanks! ;)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='387591' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:05 PM']Wasn't saying the value was incorrect, more the "bass of this calliber" bit. Far better basses go for a fraction of this i'm afraid. And yes i am well, thanks! ;)[/quote]

no worries pal..

as i said in my last post...its a hell of a bass to play....if they were good enough for John,then theyre good enough for me.id use it over any other bass out there...if i could find a bass tech that didnt drink alcohol!

glad youre well...
enjoy the rest of ya week.
:P

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='387546' date='Jan 21 2009, 02:23 PM']This is all original...its only had 3 owners including me.its been looked after immensly..clean as a whistle..its worth far more but i need a quick sale...its a beauty and is killing me to have it up for sale.
but needs must...[/quote]

you have a weird definition of MINT... there's obvious finish checking on the headstock... and the tuners are all tarnished...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='387599' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:13 PM']you have a weird definition of MINT... there's obvious finish checking on the headstock... and the tuners are all tarnished...[/quote]

my god...you guys are wierd...
show me a bass from 1968 thats not tarnished...its MINT for its age. jeeeeeze...

unbelievable.you guys really make me laugh.scratches can occur..anyways,the finish on the whole guitar is like that..its from 1968..???????? take a look at any NEW guitar that Gibson or Fender create,like their NOS custom shops which have checking...hahahahahahahahahaha

as they say here in the black country...cowin' ell!

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='387598' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:12 PM']if they were good enough for John,then theyre good enough for me[/quote]

I thought the whole point of them was that they [b]weren't[/b] good enough for John, which is why he swapped the neck for a Fender, and stopped using them entirely after a couple of years.

S.P.

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='387610' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:22 PM']show me a bass from 1968 thats not tarnished...its MINT for its age. jeeeeeze...[/quote]

As the man says, you have a weird definition of "mint". Mint means "undamaged, as if freshly minted." There is no such thing as "mint for its age."

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='387617' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:31 PM']As the man says, you have a weird definition of "mint". Mint means "undamaged, as if freshly minted." There is no such thing as "mint for its age."

S.P.[/quote]

im not even gona bother anymore...

JOhn changed as the neck was too slim for his big hands..period.

the bass is mint for its age..period.

you guys OBVIOUSLY dont deal with expencive Vintage guitars...hense the lack of knowledge..

Bye..

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='387623' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:36 PM']you guys OBVIOUSLY dont deal with expencive Vintage guitars...hense the lack of knowledge..[/quote]

No vintage instrument knowledge round here at all, certainly not in stickies at the top of this very forum. Also, the meanings of words in the English language change when applied to vintage instruments.

[quote]Mint
2   /mɪnt/
–noun
1. a place where coins, paper currency, special medals, etc., are produced under government authority.
2. a place where something is produced or manufactured
3. a vast amount, esp. of money: He made a mint in oil wells.
–adjective
4. Philately. (of a stamp) being in its original, unused condition.
[b]5. unused or appearing to be newly made and never used: a book in mint condition. [/b][/quote] from dictionary.com.

From vintageinstrumentdictionary.com

[quote]Mint - noun
1. Looking appropriate for its age.
2. My price is higher than would be reasonable
3. Whatever[/quote]

Hey leave the man alone.

If he wants to price the bass at £7k then that's fine.
Vintage things are totally different to everything else. You just can't compare one with another or with anything new.

No need to get all nasty

Good luck with the sale Jimmi .. I hope you included the US and Europe in your areas ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='387848' date='Jan 21 2009, 06:35 PM']Hey leave the man alone.

If he wants to price the bass at £7k then that's fine.
Vintage things are totally different to everything else. You just can't compare one with another or with anything new.

No need to get all nasty

Good luck with the sale Jimmi .. I hope you included the US and Europe in your areas ..[/quote]
Thanks mate... At last someone with some kindness instead of jelousy.
O believe it to be available In the USA .
Hope you're well
Jj