Why become a member? ×

little Mark - BIG problem

playbass

[quote name='playbass' timestamp='1232474076' post='386481']
I'm sure the cabs are 8 Ohmns; they're a pair of EA CXL-112
[/quote]

And thereby hangs the problem. Dave Perry had exactly the same issue with a pair of EA Cabs and a Mark Bass LMK, (2 x LM II's in one).
Sent it back to Proel who gave it a clean bill of health.
Contacted EA who actually confirmed their cabs are closer to 6 Ohms and so presenting a 3 Ohm load to the Amp, (and it doesn't like it).

As an aside the person who bought the EA Cabs also bought an EA iAmp 800 off me and what a conbination that was.....

[quote name='playbass' timestamp='1232396279' post='385336']
I'd been playing for about an hour with the gain and master both half way[/quote]

Both my warwick when I had it and my sterling are both active and it clips the amp like buggery if it any more past 10'o'clock. and the master rarely touches above 11'o'clock.

I don't want to insult your intelligence but make sure you are setting the gauin stage right for your bass.

With 2x12 rig im surprised you are driving it that much, rehearsals must be really loud.

I had a similar issue - two EA CXL 110 cabs and an Eden WT400. Would go into thermal protection if pushed for too long, but should have been happy with the "4 ohm" load. Replaced the Eden with a EA500 head and problem solved.

A few years later, sold the cabs, one got damaged in transit and the opened to replace the speaker...which was clearly labelled as 4 ohm, despite the external label on the cab saying 8 ohm.

The EA CXL's are great cabs, but I think EA were misleading with their specs/labelling - and it has caused problems for users.

I'm happily using a EA Micro head these days, but I went Barefaced (and would consider Acme) for the cab.

just a thought, why not try it with just one cab at volume and see if this makes the amp cut out. I use my little mark 11 with one aguilar db112, while not ideal it is certainly loud enough for most occasions unless you have no PA support. Also if the EA cabs are running at around 6ohms then it may well squeeze a little more volume at of the head. May be worth a go just to discount and ensure it is the cabs and not the head. Best of luck

• 4 months later...

Got an iAmp 800 definitely does 2 Ohms (1Kw)..If the cabs are nearer 6 Ohms and the amp has a low current capable PS that would almost certainly trigger the thermal pretection.... as above try one cab.. if all is well i'd be sure that impedence matching is the issue... the iAmp 800 has a large (hence 19lbs weight) toroid for just that reason... andsounds great btw!!!