Why become a member? ×

Using the classifieds

lushuk

[quote]Well, I'd say that it's up to the buyer to do the homework too. I'd never buy from any forum/auction site, without a quick Google.[/quote]

But then we could say that about lots of posts "google it" theres lots of members posting for advice which is what the board provides, last week a bit of £100+ bit of kit was sold for £10 more + p&p than it would have brand new, how can that be right if we are here to help each other? Are we here to help fellow bassists acheive the best from this great hobby or to help sellers achieve the greatest profit from fellow members?
Its just a thought!
Eddy

[quote name='lushuk' post='398908' date='Feb 3 2009, 01:37 PM']But then we could say that about lots of posts "google it" theres lots of members posting for advice which is what the board provides, last week a bit of £100+ bit of kit was sold for £10 more + p&p than it would have brand new, how can that be right if we are here to help each other? Are we here to help fellow bassists acheive the best from this great hobby or to help sellers achieve the greatest profit from fellow members?
Its just a thought!
Eddy[/quote]

As a buyer or seller on an internet forum or auction site you should know how to protect yourself. I'd have thought that doing 5 mins background research on pretty much anything you buy or sell online was just common sense? As a buyer, if you need to be protected from spending too much money on overpriced gear then you've either got too much money or not enough common sense. It's the seller's prerogative to advertise what they're selling at whatever price they want. It's the buyer’s prerogative to buy or not to buy, or to negotiate on the price. I don’t think it’s fair on a seller to discuss pricing in their thread. If you’re really bothered by it then send a friendly PM. I can understand what you’re saying, but if people need protecting from high prices then they need protecting from themselves.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='399086' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:03 PM']As a buyer or seller on an internet forum or auction site you should know how to protect yourself. I'd have thought that doing 5 mins background research on pretty much anything you buy or sell online was just common sense? As a buyer, if you need to be protected from spending too much money on overpriced gear then you've either got too much money or not enough common sense. It's the seller's prerogative to advertise what they're selling at whatever price they want. It's the buyer’s prerogative to buy or not to buy, or to negotiate on the price. I don’t think it’s fair on a seller to discuss pricing in their thread. If you’re really bothered by it then send a friendly PM. I can understand what you’re saying, but if people need protecting from high prices then they need protecting from themselves.[/quote]

A more eloquent version of what I was saying (thanks Ben ;))

I am with you Ben, well put. As regards to location, if the seller doesn't want to reply or neglects to let the buyer know then they won't get a sale, simple as that! Like on eBay, a crap listing is rarely successful.

ped

[quote name='anthomp' post='399116' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:36 PM'][b]I would like to see people, especially sellers/traders displaying
in the avataar /profile where they are in the country.[/b]
when collection only is the only option
it would be nice to know where from
before wasting too much time on unanswered pm's

anthomp[/quote]

This would make things much more quicker, rather than having to PM and wait for a reply, then find out its miles away with collection only.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='399129' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:49 PM']Seems to be quite a few threads where someone asks a question, the seller then just goes in to the thread & leaves BUMP & goes off again without answering it.[/quote]

+1 Especially if its a question that other people might want to ask, they should publish the question and response.

+1 to the above threads.
i have to say one thing that gets my goat is when a buyer starts negotiations via PM to buy my item,we get to the point of almost completing the sale then they stop replying to my PM's,if you change your mind then bloody well say so.
this has happen with 2 B'C'ers very recently whilst negotiating a trade for my '62 r'i' P bass & it's damn annoying.

sorry,rant over

[quote name='artisan' post='400127' date='Feb 4 2009, 04:17 PM']+1 to the above threads.
i have to say one thing that gets my goat is when a buyer starts negotiations via PM to buy my item,we get to the point of almost completing the sale then they stop replying to my PM's,if you change your mind then bloody well say so.
this has happen with 2 B'C'ers very recently whilst negotiating a trade for my '62 r'i' P bass & it's damn annoying.

sorry,rant over[/quote]

Yes, this has happened to me lots of times and can make you pretty cynical. Whilst it is the buyer's prerogative to back out because nothing is legally binding, I've definitely had people really waste my time, not only through PMs but with conversations on the phone too. If I make an offer to buy, I always make a point of telling the seller that I will definitely complete the deal.

This wasn't a rant, but it's over too. ;)