Why become a member? ×

Song for your pleasure

beerdragon

Do you do a tune in your set strictly for your own playing pleasure, rather than thinking this would go down well with the punters. the reason i'm asking is that i have managed to pursade the band to do Use somebody by Kings of Leon. well they did'nt take much pursuading really as they all like it. its a really simple bass thats going on but the sound Jared folowill gets makes the track i think. really looking forward to doing this one

[quote name='beerdragon' post='378290' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:36 PM']Do you do a tune in your set strictly for your own playing pleasure, rather than thinking this would go down well with the punters. the reason i'm asking is that i have managed to pursade the band to do Use somebody by Kings of Leon. well they did'nt take much pursuading really as they all like it. its a really simple bass thats going on but the sound Jared folowill gets makes the track i think. really looking forward to doing this one[/quote]
Completely unhelpful answer is, 'a bit of both'.. Depends on the mood of the band members, what kind of gigs we've got coming up etc, etc..

We hope all the songs we cover will please sombody - and there's enough variety of gig type and audience type to be fairly sure about that - but about half a dozen songs we do are thrown in mainly because we like them! Songs like 'Trouble' by Ray LaMontagne, 'When You Were Young' by the Killers or 'Rasberry Beret' by Prince aren't that well known or those artists have more well-known tunes, but we prefer them so we've put them in the set. And I think because we like them in particular it shows in the performance and touchwood, they've always gone down well.. ;)

[quote name='Starvolt' post='378353' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:18 PM']Also OldGit, I see your Avatar and raise you a Jazz![/quote]

ha ha
Mine has a bass like my Japanes P bass. I specifically like the detail of the rear of headstock strap peg ...
Odd isn't it .. I don't think Western cartoonists even know basses exist

And there FLCL who plays (or at least carries and fights with) a bright blue lefty Ric 4001

[quote name='OldGit' post='378385' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:37 PM']ha ha
Mine has a bass like my Japanes P bass. I specifically like the detail of the rear of headstock strap peg ...
Odd isn't it .. I don't think Western cartoonists even know basses exist

And there FLCL who plays (or at least carries and fights with) a bright blue lefty Ric 4001
[/quote]

And I can see this thread going into a whole new area.

Have you seen any of the 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya' series? Episode 12, there's a nice Lakland Bob Glaub Series in Lake Placid Blue. Can't remember where I read that though...

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Avm7x0zj6nE"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Avm7x0zj6nE[/url]

*edit* Found a better picture

Edited by Starvolt

[quote name='Jase' post='378527' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:36 AM']Yes, we do Hole in the sky, Black Sabbath, we also did a track called Woman, ( I think that's what is was called) for our own enjoyment....can't think of the bands name now, big sort of hammond sound stuff.[/quote]

Woman by Wolfmother? pretty fast and shouty, but good fun!

For some reason I really enjoy playing Gimme All Your Lovin' (the mighty ZZ Top), despite most of it being 8th note Cs!!

The other current fave is Ruby (Kaiser Chiefs), again nothing hard going on but I love playing it ;)

Oh, and I Kissed a Girl, coz of the phat synth :P

EDIT; so, those three are all fairly well known. The band doesn't have one we do for our own pleasure as it were, but we do stick little things in a lot of songs which make us all turn and smile

Edited by Merton

• 1 month later...

My band made the decision to do covers but "not the songs you'd expect".

Rock 'n' Roll Damnation rather than Back in Black.
Hump De Bump rather than Under the Bridge.
Walking in the Shadow of the Blues rather than Here I Go Again.

This allows us some personal freedom whilst retaining popular-ish numbers in the set.

We do Dani California with the rock band. 20+ years later I finally manage to get a band to play a bloody Chilis song (we also do Ender the Bridge)

With the wedding band we do Chelsea Dagger and its the only song that I ever use a plectrum and like to give it loads.

I would absolutely love to do a Yes track one of these days

I've been able to work out what the punters will like. On Valentines Night we introduced "Sunshine of Your Love" as a romantic love song. Fooled them for about 5 seconds. We do a fair bit of GreenRazorPatrol which I can't stand, but I think it pleases the singer's mother. On the other hand, we're working on QotSA's "No One Knows" and a Peter Greenish jam at the last practice ended up in "Green Manalishi", so I'll have my revenge.