Why become a member? ×

old amp needs help

The Shrek

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='376801' date='Jan 11 2009, 02:34 PM']Check this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=198"]Reccomended amp techs[/url][/quote]
Thanks Man that gives me a few names to contact. I don't even know if the amp is worth fixing, it's in great condition but i've never seen anyone using them for bass. Anyone else know anything about these old amps or how they sound.

The Treble'n'Bass amp remained virtually unchanged (other than cosmetically) from the Mk.I through the Mk.II and Mk.III and right into the SV. They were called SV because Selmer had tried making transistor amps which were a bit of a flop, so the SV was a re-launch of the old Selmer Valve amps.

The TnB sounded very similar to contemporary amps by Vox and Marshall, but was significantly cheaper. The SV was the first (and only) variant which bore no resemblance at all to Vox and Marshall amps.

If you can get it fired up again, you'll have a classic British valve amp capable of handling any 'normal' venue. It sounds fine for bass, if a bit muddy compared to an Eden or something, and even better for guitar - especially a Les Paul on full chat.

What it WON'T do is make you rich. A pristine Mk.II might have fetched you £500 or more at the peak of the market. The SV's were never that sought after, and the market's more or less collapsed anyway. The only good thing is that Mullard 'Mustard' valves aren't fetching the insane prices of a year ago.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='376829' date='Jan 11 2009, 03:18 PM']The Treble'n'Bass amp remained virtually unchanged (other than cosmetically) from the Mk.I through the Mk.II and Mk.III and right into the SV. They were called SV because Selmer had tried making transistor amps which were a bit of a flop, so the SV was a re-launch of the old Selmer Valve amps.

The TnB sounded very similar to contemporary amps by Vox and Marshall, but was significantly cheaper. The SV was the first (and only) variant which bore no resemblance at all to Vox and Marshall amps.

If you can get it fired up again, you'll have a classic British valve amp capable of handling any 'normal' venue. It sounds fine for bass, if a bit muddy compared to an Eden or something, and even better for guitar - especially a Les Paul on full chat.

What it WON'T do is make you rich. A pristine Mk.II might have fetched you £500 or more at the peak of the market. The SV's were never that sought after, and the market's more or less collapsed anyway. The only good thing is that Mullard 'Mustard' valves aren't fetching the insane prices of a year ago.[/quote]
Thanks man, i've had it so long that i wouldn't want to sell it, but my son plays guitar and he might have an interest after i have paid for an overhaul of course (miserable git). I have a GK rig and an Eden rig so i dont really need it but I am just interested to hear from anyone owning or using this type of amp.
Thanks again my friend!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='379123' date='Jan 13 2009, 03:10 PM']FWIW, and playing the Irish angle, I'm informed that both Ronan Keating's MD and his 2nd guitarist swear by them. As guitar amps.

Not particularly giggable for bass, I'd have thought, but you never know...[/quote]

I'd use one for high side of biamping.

I started out with one of these - they're pretty distorted at the level you'd need to keep up with an energetic drummer, even in a small venue. I found the sound was best with a patch lead linking the two channels. With a bright sounding bass, the grindy top end clank can be great fun - I guess that's what you're going for with the bi-amping.
Actually I've had two - and bought and sold them both for a pittance when they were less sought after than now (last one was maybe 6 years ago).

I recently rediscovered a Selmer Treble and bass 50 that had been in my dads attic for the past 20 years. I thought it would be dead as the plug had been removed, but amazingly, upon getting it checked out, It works and it sounds incredible ! It has been modded in its previous life and now it does need a proper service but Wow ! what an amp, really loud, fine for pub gigs and I love the sound so much that its taken over the No 1 slot against my Markbass F1, Ashdown ABM400 and Fender Bassman 135. The other thing I love about this amp is that it isn't as big or heavy as the Bassman and its got two channels (hence Treble and Bass) that both sound great for bass or guitar.

Anyway. My advice : Don't promise it out to anyone until you've tried it. I aint partin with this badboy for any amount of moolah