Why become a member? ×

anyone played recently at the water rats in london ?

ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='375668' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:41 PM']what was bad about playing there ?[/quote]
It was cold, no-one came, I played thru a sh*t amp, the onstage sound was pony, we didn't get a soundcheck coz the other bands took the piss....... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Matty' post='397119' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:19 PM']IS it a McGriff promotion?
Sounds like his style.[/quote]
Club McGrifter? It does indeed. Reminds me of an old Tom Waits song...

[i]What's he building in there?
What the hell is he building in there?

He has subscriptions to those magazines.
He never waves when he goes by.
He's hiding something from the rest of us.
He's all to himself. I think I know why.

He took down the tire swing from the pepper tree.
He has no children of his own, you see.
He has no dog. He has no friends.
His lawn is dying.
What are all those packages he sends?

What's he building in there?

That hooklight on the stairs.

I'll tell you one thing. He's not building a playhouse for the children.

And what's that sound from underneath the door?
He's pounding nails into a hardwood floor.
I swear to god, I heard someone moaning, low.
And I keep seeing the blue light of a TV show.
He has a router. And a table saw.
And you won't believe what Mr. Stitches saw.
There's poison underneath the sink, of course.
There's also enough formaldehyde to choke a horse.

What the hell is he building in there?

I heard he has an ex-wife in someplace called Mayor's Income, Tennessee.
And he used to have a consulting business in Indonesia.

But what's he building in there?

He has no friends. But he gets a lot of mail.
I'll bet he spent a little time in jail.
I heard he was up on the roof last night, signalling with a flashlight.
And what's that tune he's always whistling?

We have a right to know.[/i]

Hello,
Wow - thats alot of bad feedback about the place!

We played there in December suppoorting The Maybes? on their album support tour.

I agree with several things.....
1. ts cold
2.Its toilets resemble THAT scene from Trainspotting
3.Told we were one of four bands - got there and we were one of seven - but we retained out place in the line up.

HOWEVER.....

The sound onstage (and for the crowd) was fantastic, the crowd were amazing, the photos from the night were brilliant due to the lighting rig and the atmosphere was genius-was one of our best gigs (til we played the redstripe regional final last week)!

HOWEVER (part2)
we did bring our own amps (a 100w marshall for the guitarist and a 200w ashdown for me) for on stage and it does make all the difference.
We promoted it in our local area - thus guarnateeing we had a relatively good sized crowd additional to anything else brought in by the other bands/promoters
DONT expect to get paid much!!!!

Although only recently signed, as individuals we are not aa bunch of 'newbies' to the giggin scene either so im pretty sure our 'good experience' wasnt down to lack of a good basis for comparison!

[quote name='Mod_Machine' post='397876' date='Feb 2 2009, 02:18 PM']Wow - thats alot of bad feedback about the place!
[...]

Although only recently signed, as individuals we are not aa bunch of 'newbies' to the giggin scene either so im pretty sure our 'good experience' wasnt down to lack of a good basis for comparison![/quote]

We're not newbies to the gigging scene either. The entire operation is a f***ing mess. We brought our own amps too (both times). The engineer didn't have a f***ing clue (both times) and the onstage and FOH sound was abysmal (both times). The stage manager was a c*** (second time) and hopeless (the first time). The promoter you deal with on the phone doesn't show up to the gig. They charged some people from the guestlist full whack. We were one of 7 bands (both times). Our stage times were f***ed with (both times). We were the only band to get paid (both times).

The first time they threw off the headline band as we were about to start our set. Poor guys had to come onto the stage, take their stuff and skulk out of the venue. We were told to play a double set.

The second time the place was rammed with our crowd (50+). We walked out with a paltry £20 for the entire band.

We've dealt with three sets of bookers there. Noone who works there last more than 12 months. It's a shithole. Don't bother with it.

Ok chill! You had a couple of bad experiences, we didnt!

I never meant to imply anyone else who has played there is a 'newbie to the gigging' scene or that their opinion is wrong - purely felt it an important comment to make about us and us alone.

Im sorry you have had such a wretched time playing at Water rats, and that your pay was also so poor though im sure you will agree that there are plenty of bands out there who would play the venue for free just for the experience and if it was that bad the first time - why return? or even accept to do an extended slot?

The opinion i have given was purely meant to try and balance out the negative reviews the place seems to have got as in my experience us musicians appear to be more than happy to highlight the bad but rarely acknowledge the good.

[quote name='Mod_Machine' post='399161' date='Feb 3 2009, 05:16 PM']Ok chill! You had a couple of bad experiences, we didnt!

[...]

The opinion i have given was purely meant to try and balance out the negative reviews the place seems to have got as in my experience us musicians appear to be more than happy to highlight the bad but rarely acknowledge the good.[/quote]

I'm not criticising you or having a go at you. Just saying how I found it. I'm glad you had a great time there. ;)

I'll never go back. There was nothing good about it apart from our crowd and our performance. It is the worst venue I've ever played or watched a gig.

[quote name='The Funk' post='399058' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:43 PM']We're not newbies to the gigging scene either. The entire operation is a f***ing mess. We brought our own amps too (both times). The engineer didn't have a f***ing clue (both times) and the onstage and FOH sound was abysmal (both times). The stage manager was a c*** (second time) and hopeless (the first time). The promoter you deal with on the phone doesn't show up to the gig. [b]They charged some people from the guestlist full whack.[/b] We were one of 7 bands (both times). Our stage times were f***ed with (both times). We were the only band to get paid (both times).

The first time they threw off the headline band as we were about to start our set. Poor guys had to come onto the stage, take their stuff and skulk out of the venue. We were told to play a double set.

The second time the place was rammed with our crowd (50+). We walked out with a paltry £20 for the entire band.

We've dealt with three sets of bookers there. Noone who works there last more than 12 months. It's a shithole. Don't bother with it.[/quote]

I've read about people on the list getting charged full price on a lot of other forums as well. Another common complaint is about their habit of putting two separate bills on in a night - the first having a habit of over-running and screwing up bands, punters and promoters on the second bill alike.

I decided I wouldn't be playing there a long time ago.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='The Funk' post='399058' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:43 PM']The second time the place was rammed with our crowd (50+). We walked out with a paltry £20 for the entire band.[/quote]

You got paid?

I think we took about 80 people with us and pretty sure we didn't see a penny.

Of course I'm an artist, so I don't do it for the money blah, blah, blah.

Edited by BigBeefChief

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='399261' date='Feb 3 2009, 06:52 PM']You got paid?

I think we took about 80 people with us and pretty sure we didn't see a penny.

Of course I'm an artist, so I don't do it for the money blah, blah, blah.[/quote]

You guys didn't get paid? That's a disgrace! Even by the terms of their exploitative contract you should have received about £50.

I know you're not expecting a Learjet and all the coked-up hookers you can handle but it'd be nice to at least get your petrol money back to Kent, right?

Seriously, if you guys are based in Kent and getting 80 people in London you should be playing better venues for better organisers.

[quote name='The Funk' post='399452' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:49 PM']You guys didn't get paid? That's a disgrace! Even by the terms of their exploitative contract you should have received about £50.

I know you're not expecting a Learjet and all the coked-up hookers you can handle but it'd be nice to at least get your petrol money back to Kent, right?

Seriously, if you guys are based in Kent and getting 80 people in London you should be playing better venues for better organisers.[/quote]

We're based South East Sondon/Kent but only gig in London. We don't usually bring that many, but I remember it being a particularly popular gig.

We may have been paid, but I'm pretty sure we didn't. Lets be honest though, £50 5 ways ain't covering much!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Musky' post='411362' date='Feb 16 2009, 07:06 PM']Just a quick update to this thread. It would seems Water Rats have changed their policy on booking bands - they now require the bands to pay upfront for 60 tickets at £3 each. ;)

Sod that...[/quote]

Hahaha! f*** that sh*t. Last week I asked two of their staff - yes, two - to stop calling me. It's verging on ASBO territory.

They keep sacking the bookers but if the band contracts don't come from them then how the f*** are they supposed to convince anyone who's played a gig anywhere before to play there?

For just over £180 you can hire venues like Dirty South or one of the rooms at Jamm, put on your own night and take ALL the gate money.

[quote name='The Funk' post='417115' date='Feb 23 2009, 03:31 AM']Hahaha! f*** that sh*t. Last week I asked two of their staff - yes, two - to stop calling me. It's verging on ASBO territory.

They keep sacking the bookers but if the band contracts don't come from them then how the f*** are they supposed to convince anyone who's played a gig anywhere before to play there?

For just over £180 you can hire venues like Dirty South or one of the rooms at Jamm, put on your own night and take ALL the gate money.[/quote]

Yeah, they now seem to be firmly in taking the p1ss territory.

I read recently on another forum that somebody applied for a job with them as a 'promoter'. Apparently they asked him in for a one day trial (unpaid) and had him phoning bands all day. At the end of it they asked him if he'd like to come back for another day of unpaid work doing the same thing. He concluded that there was no job. It might seem their activities aren't restricted to just taking the mick out of bands...

• 1 month later...

Just to add a different take, we played an early (6.30-7pm) set at the Water Rats last night and TBH it was way better than others on this thread have suggested - perhaps the venue/promoters have learned from past mistakes?

We were asked to sell 25 tickets in advance at £3 apiece (we managed about 30, not bad for a Sunday evening) so we made a small amount extra on top that will go towards our next rehearsal. There were six bands on, although the promotional stuff (flyers etc) said four, but this made no difference to our set timing.

Regarding the gear, no Behringer combo. The supplied bass rig was actually a loud Hartke HA2000 head (which has a tube preamp, so a decent range of sounds) and an Ampeg 1x15 cab, all together perfectly good for my needs. The gear for the drummer and guitarist was similarly solid and functional. The soundman was helpful and professional (we had a proper soundcheck).

In truth, I really enjoyed the gig and the venue