Why become a member? ×

1970's Paul Simonon Precision Clone / Replica

Prosebass

[quote name='yorick' post='372856' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:03 AM']Sweet. Can you do a lefty Sid clone?[/quote]

My mate has got an original '78 Precision identical to sids. He bought in the late 70s specially to look like o' Sidney Vish and even now he still looks a bit like him.

[quote name='yorick' post='372856' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:03 AM']Sweet. Can you do a lefty Sid clone?[/quote]

I could, if you are interested drop me a PM

[quote name='Beedster' post='372887' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:27 AM']I bet he can, that he can do it pretty quickly, and that it will be bloody good :)[/quote]

Cheers Chris maybe I can tempt you again in the near future

[quote name='Buzz' post='373150' date='Jan 7 2009, 03:31 PM']21 fret neck, Any intonation or fitting issues?

Looks quite nice anyway.[/quote]

Plenty of fitting problems as the angles between the pocket and neck itself was all wrong, but it fit fine with perseverance.
No intonation problems as the last fret and fingerboard hang over the body.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='373167' date='Jan 7 2009, 03:48 PM']That's a really cool looking build! Just needs an ageing Fender decal now & nobody would look twice! Fantastic :huh:[/quote]

Looks like that will be happening to it soon, but as a builder I could not possibly put one on myself !

[quote name='Pookus' post='373245' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:59 PM']Are you going to carve the name "Paul" in it with a flick knife?[/quote]

Bit severe ! did the original have that done to it ? My name is Paul but as a makers mark I won't be using a flick knife... :huh:

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

The bass that this is a copy of ended up smashed (see the iconic London Calling cover)

[attachment=18267:clash1.jpg][attachment=18269:38816053...986f0e4b.jpg]

Paul Simonon had another white P bass (which he still plays in The Good, The Bad and The Queen) with a r/w neck that he carved 'Paul' on

[attachment=18268:clash2.jpg]

Yours sincerely, Anorak/Clarky

Edited by Clarky

Gigged this bass tonight at the 12 Bar Club in Tin Pan Alley. Great thumping sound and, although I still struggle slightly with chunky necks (and this one is well chunky), played beautifully.

PS, it seems to have mysteriously acquired a Fender 70s Precision transfer on the headstock ;)

[quote name='KevinJazzBass' post='389767' date='Jan 23 2009, 04:35 PM']Where is that broken precision from the london calling cover?

Kev[/quote]
Hall of Fame, apparently [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jheisel/388160536/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/jheisel/388160536/[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' post='390078' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:18 PM']Hall of Fame, apparently [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jheisel/388160536/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/jheisel/388160536/[/url][/quote]

Hope you are not thinking of doing that to it yet...... ;)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='390080' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:22 PM']Hope you are not thinking of doing that to it yet...... ;)[/quote]
When I've a platinum selling album under my belt and am playing at the New York Palladium to an adoring crowd I reserve the righ to do this :P

[quote name='Clarky' post='390082' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:25 PM']When I've a platinum selling album under my belt and am playing at the New York Palladium to an adoring crowd I reserve the righ to do this ;)[/quote]

I look forward to that, just let me know when you've done it and I'll build you another for free !! (providing you endorse me that is... :P )
Glad its working out for you, and yes the neck is chunky , but they are really solid.