Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street?

barneyg42

Might be a big ask this one. I have about £150 to spend and need an active five string. Where is the likely place up the smoke (well Denmark St area) where I'd have a chance of finding something(probably S/H for that money). I had a sniff at a Yammy on the forum but it was likely sold and I didn't have the asking price at the time anyway. What are these Staggs and Shines like? I hear so many different opinions. I'm not a pro but I have been used to some decent mid range gear in the past but money is tight at the moment so a reasonable-ish stepping stone is the compromise I'll have to make.

Cheers
Colin

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='barneyg42' post='369015' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:23 AM']Might be a big ask this one. I have about £150 to spend and need an active five string. Where is the likely place up the smoke (well Denmark St area) where I'd have a chance of finding something(probably S/H for that money). I had a sniff at a Yammy on the forum but it was likely sold and I didn't have the asking price at the time anyway. What are these Staggs and Shines like? I hear so many different opinions. I'm not a pro but I have been used to some decent mid range gear in the past but money is tight at the moment so a reasonable-ish stepping stone is the compromise I'll have to make.

Cheers
Colin[/quote]

PM on its way m8

I had a Shine 6 string for a while. It was cheap and worked OK, but not particularly well made or nice to play. It got moved on fairly quickly. I wouldn't recommend them.

If you're in Woking it might be worth popping in to Andertons in Guildford before you make the trip to Denmark St, or at least give them a ring and see what they've got.

[quote name='pete.young' post='369285' date='Jan 3 2009, 02:53 PM']I had a Shine 6 string for a while. It was cheap and worked OK, but not particularly well made or nice to play. It got moved on fairly quickly. I wouldn't recommend them.

If you're in Woking it might be worth popping in to Andertons in Guildford before you make the trip to Denmark St, or at least give them a ring and see what they've got.[/quote]

I'll have a look in Andertons, probably tomorrow. I was in London overnight anyway so it wasn't a special trip, and it *wasn't* a special trip as there was nothing to write home about up there. To be honest I wasn't expecting much for my paltry pile of cash but it was nice to have a look around. Normally I'm in my coach dodging traffic wardens so taking the bus was quite a laugh. Probably a case of saving up a bit more as Oldgit suggested and seeing if something comes up on here.

Colin

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='369428' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:46 PM']Tasty [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-BBG5S-5-string-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ270325408611QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item270325408611&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]Yamaha[/url] 5er on Ebay at the mo.[/quote]

Cheers!
Says its tuned up at the moment, will that need the neck adjusting if put back to normal 5 string tuning?

Edited by barneyg42

All sorted now thanks to crez5150(Jay). Took a trip over to his gaff in Essex this afternoon and grabbed an SX(from Essex)* 5 string jazzer off him.

[attachment=18184:05012009299.jpg]
[attachment=18185:05012009301.jpg]

Not active but a fine sounding bass for the money and plenty of scope for upgrades although I may find when I'm out there it may not need it.
He does have a SX fretless 5 as well which he may sell, give him a pm, grab a bargain!!

*You see what I did there!!! Ok I admit I saw this Essex thing on T***b*ss!!