Why become a member? ×

Queen of the slappers....!

spog

Got to get a second bass to back up my Precision. Wouls also like to take the opportunity to tweak the thing for some indulgent slapping, as my normal style (Verdine, Andy Levy, etc) requires the instrument to be set up in completely the opposite direction. Just wondering what folk thought was the best all-rounder for giving the old thumb an airing? Back in the day it was JDs, Statuses and so forth, but then Louis Johnson and the late (great) Bernie also did passable job with the Stingray! Any suggestions?

[quote name='spog' post='364503' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:43 PM']Back in the day it was JDs, Statuses and so forth[/quote]

Yeah, I remember those days. Times are different now though and people's slapping preferences have a lot more to do with Marcus Miller than they do with Mark King - the very hi-fi trebly, always using the bridge pup thing is less popular than it was.

I'm loving the occasional bit of slapping my Precision around, but the obvious (boring?) alternative is a maple board Jazz - a CIJ reissue would prob be best vfm.

The best two slap tones I've heard are from a Jazz or a Stingray, very different sounds though, the Fender has a really nice mid heavy sound which has a punchy attack and good presence in the mix while the Stingray has really well defined treble and bass for a nice clean percussive attack with lots of warm low end, very Hi-Fi sounding.

Jazz or stingray, possibley the best two bass combo out there, both slap like 10 slapping things in a slapping room full of slappers on a good day for slapping things!

With a £500 budget you should get a decent Jazz with maybe a few $$ to chuck a cheap, S/H active circuit in! Saw a ray go on e-bay a few weeks back for around £480 on e-bay, pick up only in London, teal green! Bargains do come up!

T

• 15 years later...