Why become a member? ×

Warning! Totally Outrageous and Idle Request!

AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='364332' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:06 PM']Puts it into a highly amusing context.

Since I realised I have been playing music (in other guises) longer than the young Budget Bassist has been alive, I elected to give his inflammatory comments the attention they deserved.

:huh:[/quote]
Honestly, i don't care how long you've been playing music, and my age is totally irrelevant and beside the point, which you quite clearly seem to be missing. Maybe if you were a bit more polite to people on here, you would receive the help you asked for.

[quote name='AM1' post='364333' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:07 PM']Pot, kettle, black, my dear boy.

:)[/quote]
I don't think what i said was unprovoked at all.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='364336' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:08 PM']Honestly, i don't care how long you've been playing music, and my age is totally irrelevant and beside the point, which you quite clearly seem to be missing. Maybe if you were a bit more polite to people on here, you would receive the help you asked for.[/quote]

Could you explain which part of my original post in this thread was impolite?

[quote name='AM1' post='364338' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:10 PM']Could you explain which part of my original post in this thread was impolite?[/quote]
I didn't say anything about your original post, try nearly every post afterwards. If you can't see the problem, then i don't think there's much point in arguing with you in all honesty, though clearly my opinion is not dissimilar to others that have posted in this thread. Something to think about maybe?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='364340' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:12 PM']I didn't say anything about your original post, try nearly every post afterwards. If you can't see the problem, then i don't think there's much point in arguing with you in all honesty, though clearly my opinion is not dissimilar to others that have posted in this thread. Something to think about maybe?[/quote]

A simple request was made, in the original post.

The latent failure of subsequent commentators to answer the actual question asked, along with my noting of such, does not constitute an issue on my part.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='364343' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:15 PM']You're obviously missing the point entirely.... I'm not even going to bother.[/quote]

A polite request was made, which you and others, spectacularly failed to answer, choosing instead to initiate a semantic debate over learning styles.

I already opened a thread recently with regards to learning styles.

When it was pointed out that this thread was purely to located good sources of written music, several commentators elected to personally insult me. Clearly these responses are a function of a further inability to recognise the real, substantive issue, that of the failure to answer the question, which was the whole point of the thread.

Quite clearly, the inability of others to answer the actual question asked, does not constitute ME missing any point.

Regards

AM

People were trying to help you with faster methods of learning the songs you wanted to learn, just because they didn't give you direct links to the exact tabs you want doesn't mean you can be rude tho them, which you were, and i didn't see anyone "personally insulting you". This is a place where people are allowed to discuss things, and you can't exactly dictate what people can and can't say, and it's certainly nothing to get worked up over that a couple of people didn't answer your question right away (who do they think they are anyway? bah!).

[quote name='budget bassist' post='364362' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:31 PM']doesn't mean you can be rude tho them, which you were,[/quote]

Where?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='364362' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:31 PM']and i didn't see anyone "personally insulting you".[/quote]

May I suggest revisiting the first page of the thread, for the avoidance of doubt.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='364362' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:31 PM']and it's certainly nothing to get worked up over[/quote]

No one is in the slightest worked up...except possibly your good self.

You know I am deeply suspicious of all this.

AM1 claims to have been playing bass for just a few weeks. And claims, in other threads (remember - all doctors are c*nts!) that practising for more than just a little while causes wrist pain.

Yet here we have someone also claiming to be attending a rehearsal for which they are attempting to learn a whole list of tunes by pracitising many hours a day. Wish I could have been that proficient after just a few weeks!

So AM1 claims they have had a bass for just a few weeks but already asking advice about the choice between a Warwick and a Fender? How does anyone know they will get on with playing the bass after such a short time, let alone start splashing out on some top end prices?

There's an awful lot of contradictions going on.

Also - I have been a member of all sorts of forums on a wide range of subjects for a number of years and have never encountered anyone who has caused so much irritation within just a few days of joining just by their bad attitude.

Frankly I don't believe anything he/she writes is the truth and that AM1 has no other agenda here than to cause trouble. I reckon the best thing to do is completely ignore AM1 and eventually they will go and bother another forum somewhere else.

[quote name='Paul S' post='364388' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:51 PM']You know I am deeply suspicious of all this.

AM1 claims to have been playing bass for just a few weeks. And claims, in other threads (remember - all doctors are c*nts!) that practising for more than just a little while causes wrist pain.

Yet here we have someone also claiming to be attending a rehearsal for which they are attempting to learn a whole list of tunes by pracitising many hours a day. Wish I could have been that proficient after just a few weeks!

So AM1 claims they have had a bass for just a few weeks but already asking advice about the choice between a Warwick and a Fender? How does anyone know they will get on with playing the bass after such a short time, let alone start splashing out on some top end prices?

There's an awful lot of contradictions going on.

Also - I have been a member of all sorts of forums on a wide range of subjects for a number of years and have never encountered anyone who has caused so much irritation within just a few days of joining just by their bad attitude.

Frankly I don't believe anything he/she writes is the truth and that AM1 has no other agenda here than to cause trouble. I reckon the best thing to do is completely ignore AM1 and eventually they will go and bother another forum somewhere else.[/quote]

Hi

Although new to the bass, it is not my first instrument and I have been playing music on and off for almost 20 years. There is no question that I will continue, it was only a matter of not having any free time before due to working away from home constantly and other hobbies taking up every free moment.

The wrist problem is still not resolved but I have found workarounds, enabling me now to do a good few hours of practice every day. A few hours of practice is nothing compared to the 8 hour + stints I used to do. The difference is that now I have this problem with my wrist, which has never, until now, restricted my ability to play music for long periods.

Warwick and Fenders can be bought at reasonable prices second hand. A good quality instrument encourages you to pick it up often and play it, therefore I see it as a worthwhile investment.

By the way, if you think music is expensive, you don't even want to know the cost of my other hobbies!

Regards

AM

Edited by AM1

[quote name='Paul S' post='364388' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:51 PM']You know I am deeply suspicious of all this.[/quote]

While I should declare an interest (see posts above), the same thought has been growing on me. I'm 'ignoring' their posts now, but I'm wondering if this is either a fibber, a Troll and / or a previously banned member.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364394' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:58 PM']While I should declare an interest (see posts above), the same thought has been growing on me. I'm 'ignoring' their posts now, but I'm wondering if this is either a fibber, a Troll and / or a previously banned member.[/quote]

Therein lies a striking indictment of the ethos of the forum.

Anyone with a challenging mind is instantly transmogrified into an object of suspicion.

I am none of the above, just a new member with a long standing passion for music.

OK peeps, time to close this one down I'm afraid. I'm not going to take sides over what's gone on but it's probably a good thing for those involved to take a chill pill and find something else to chew on while we let the feathers settle.