Left leaderboard
Wolverinebass

Dug DP-3X vs Darkglass X Ultra

15 minutes ago, Kev said:

That, is a good point

And I think it works in Tech21’s favour, it’s not got the Sansamp tone, and this offers something different

44 minutes ago, krispn said:

Look at this all civilised discussion :)

Given the very balanced and in-depth review provided by the OP, the right, albeit slightly mid scooped, tone had clearly been set for the rest of the thread!

But provided this pedal provides Ear Candy I don't think DP fans will be too disappointed 😉

I hasten to say, I am a King's X fan. I'd never use Dug's tone though. Not my voice. If people want samples, I'll try and find 10 minutes over the weekend. I'll use a reamp DI so there can be no issues with technique or bass playing inconsistency.

Well they are defo an intriguing bunch - associated with Petra, signed up with a US Christian label, peaked at No.4 in the US Christian charts. And their very name: the cross of the King ....but have since sought to deny being a Christian metal band.

Can't deny the depth of some of their lyrics, though.

12 string bass, however, now that it is something both to be feared and admired in equal measure!

Just now, Wolverinebass said:

I hasten to say, I am a King's X fan. I'd never use Dug's tone though. Not my voice. If people want samples, I'll try and find 10 minutes over the weekend. I'll use a reamp DI so there can be no issues with technique or bass playing inconsistency.

Cool - cheers, matey. Look forward to it.

3 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Well they are defo an intriguing bunch - associated with Petra, signed up with a US Christian label, peaked at No.4 in the US Christian charts. And their very name: the cross of the King ....but have since sought to deny being a Christian metal band.

Can't deny the depth of some of their lyrics, though.

I believe they always identified as a band comprised of Christians, rather than a 'Christian band'. Dug renounced his faith a few years ago.

Incidentally, 'King's X' seems to be the American version of 'fanites'.

4 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I believe they always identified as a band comprised of Christians, rather than a 'Christian band'. Dug renounced his faith a few years ago.

Incidentally, 'King's X' seems to be the American version of 'fanites'.

First point is kinda interesting. But "Faith" I see that's a banned discussion topic, so I'd best get back onto mid-scoop pdq, before my short sojourn on BC comes to a crashing quick end 😂

Gotta fess that I have no idea of what 'fanites' are!

1 minute ago, Reaper said:

First point is kinda interesting. But "Faith" I see that's a banned discussion topic, so I'd best get back onto mid-scoop pdq, before my short sojourn on BC comes to a crashing quick end 😂

It’s not really a discussion on faith, more an observation about how the band was seen and marketed.

Seems to me your a fan of both wiki and the band, which album did you like best and fave track on it (it’s only a mild diversion off topic and allowed in discussions, most threads go this way you will find!)

All I know is that if a proroguing thread is still running you should be fine discussing someone's band origins and former beliefs.

Just be careful not to get called out on being something you're not from a post - stranger things have happened on BC threads 😀

Edited by krispn

9 minutes ago, krispn said:

All I know is that if a proroguing thread is still running you should be fine discussing someone's band origins and former beliefs.

Just be careful not to get called out on being something you're not from a post - stranger things have happened on BC threads 😀

I take it that doesn’t count as politics.....?!

There will Be filibustering and everything....

Edited by Cuzzie

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

It’s not really a discussion on faith, more an observation about how the band was seen and marketed.

Seems to me your a fan of both wiki and the band, which album did you like best and fave track on it (it’s only a mild diversion off topic and allowed in discussions, most threads go this way you will find!)

Right back at you buddy! Let's get folk who are 'fessed-up King's X fans e.g. @Wolverinebass, @Cosmo Valdemar, you(?) answering that particular question! :) 

@Reaper

That’s my bad it was your ‘Ear Candy’ reference which, considering the thread title, sparked my initial KX album chat as I thought you might’ve a fan.

All this crowing about ‘best’ album servers no practical purpose other than to detract from what the OP and established users think is a versatile pedal. I’d not want to put people off the scent who might otherwise be interested irrespective of the KX connection. 

19 hours ago, Reaper said:

It's what we used to shout in the school playground, usually with crossed fingers, to be considered exempt from the game of Bulldog or It or similar.

Might be having a go on one of these soon - my mate (and bass dep) in talking about getting one over the weekend so I hope to play about with the unit soon!

Just now, krispn said:

Might be having a go on one of these soon - my mate (and bass dep) in talking about getting one over the weekend so I hope to play about with the unit soon!

Which one?

The dug, he's in discussion about nabbing one for his other math-rock type endeavours!

Edited by krispn

11 minutes ago, krispn said:

math-rock 

!! 

Is that a whole new genre for nerd rockers? 😁

On 13/09/2019 at 16:14, krispn said:

Math rock = odd time signatures, technical playing and can be described as hard to listen indie-jazz! 

Yikes.... that was hard work. Alvin And The Chipmunks have taken a new direction.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jonse
      Hi all, having another bit of a clear out. All pedals in good working order, a few have superficial marks and chips so I'll go into detail where I can but they're all in good condition generally. I'll include boxes and leaflets where available too but if I haven't photographed a box I didn't receive one when I bought the pedal.
      I'll put some pictures at the bottom of this thread. Further pictures and details available on request. 
      Postage to UK included. 
      Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B - £90 
      Reluctant to let this one go but not getting much use any more. Chip on the top right and bottom right corners. Footswitch pops a little but as an 'always on' effect it never bothered me. 

Bearfoot Blueberry Bass Overdrive - £125
      Another reluctant sale but preferring my BB preamp these days. Various chips all over but, while beautiful, the paint on these is rather brittle. 

Latent Lemon audio Brass master - £125 - sold
      Bought new on Reverb for £150, used a few times but I find myself chasing a big muff fuzz tone at the moment. Really great sounding and faithful reproduction of the Maestro B:ASSMASTER. Can often be a few weeks lead time on these, mine is available now 😉

EHX Nano Pog - £100 
      Good condition without a box, prefer my MXR. Some superficial scratches but nothing major. 

Sansamp BDDI V2 - £130 - SOLD
      Bought new last year, prefer my vtdi. Pretty much 'as new.'

EHX / JHS Green Russian - £80 
      Bought new when EHX reissued the green russian. Modded by the folks at JHS so it has some pretty cool features which alter the oscillation / clipping etc. Doesn't have the pick / sticker / badge - never came packaged with it unfortunately. 

Ernie Ball Volume pedal Jr - £50 
      Bought off eBay, I've barely used it. 25k pot. Has some marks on the top and some scratches on the side. 

DigiTech Whammy Ricochet - £60 - SOLD
      Another eBay buy to experiment with pitch shifting. Didn't really get much use our of it but a cool effect nonetheless. 

Boss LS2 - £50 - SOLD
      Bought new for a large pedalboard but decided to downsize... 

EHX Bass Clone - £40 
      Bought new, still got the receipt. Have a few preferred chorus pedals so moving this on. Footswitch is a little poppy and there's some low level background noise but I've experienced the same thing on a couple if these pedals. 

TC Spark mini - £25 
      Cool little booster, not a lot else to say! Pretty sure I have the box somewhere for this one. 

Phew, think that's everything! 

• By dannybuoy
      Time for a big old pedal sale! I have quite a few items here so have taken an initial shortcut of just whacking the lot up with prices, but photos and descriptions for each item are coming! All prices include UK postage, not interested in any trades as it goes against  the concept of a clear out!
      Darkglass B3K v2 (£160) Photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ctNOgh4LjDznHG6q1 Bought to A/B with my old one - played it for a few minutes then boxed it back up, then left it too long to return. Effectively brand new! Lucid Audio Fuzz-o-potamus (£75) Photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jpdoUEygCr9bMMoA2 Tweaked Fuzz Face for bass with EQ and clean blend. Massive range from light overdrive to full on buzz with a lot of sub bass! Boss ODB-3 (£45) Photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WRllF0xiKZouTONt2 A few signs of wear but otherwise good! TC Corona Mini Chorus (£60) EHX Mini Q-Tron (£60) EHX Q-Tron (£80) (original big box version) Digitech Whammy V (£80) Gigrig Quartermaster 4-way True Bypass Switcher (£80) TapTempo Switch (1590A size) (£10) Monte Allums Boss ODB-3 Mod Kit (£25)
    • By ChrisGordon
      A Darkglass B3K Version 1. Never really got on with it. Probably used no more than a dozen times. Hopefully goes somewhere it can get the use it deserves! In near mint condition, it has got Velcro adhered to the bass! 

Price includes UK postage. 

• By dave_bass5
      Price drop to £100.
      I got this off here last year IIR. Used it once and decided i prefer the BDDIv2 tone (plus i was using a Stomp anyway). 
      Works well, but slot one footswitch sometimes needs two presses. Might be user error but its not as fast sometimes as the other two foot switches. This is how it came to me. 
      Other than that, works perfectly. Might have the box, manual etc, but if not it will be packed well. These things are built like tanks anyway. 
      Price includes UK 1st class post. 

• By Baloney Balderdash
      Have you managed to get at least close to what you believe might be the ultimate high gain bass distortion setup, and would like to share how you approached it, or do you just want to share your general thoughts about this topic, then this thread would be a chance to do so.

I for one think I may have found the ultimate high gain distortion tone for me, at least for the musical project I am currently working on .
      I know that these days it seems popular to split you bass signal up in a lower clean register and a parallel upper frequency register distorted signal and then mix the 2 signals together, or even use a separate wet and dry rig to do so, but personally I don't really subscribe to that recipe. 
      As an example of a professional bass player who doesn't use this approach either I know Lou Barlow from Dinosaur Jr. doesn't either.
      As far as goes for his heavy overdriven tone, which in my opinion sounds awesome, at least live he overdrive both his lows and highs and then leave his mids clean, though he doesn't exactly isolate the specific frequencies either, starting by splitting his bass signal up in 3 separate parallel paths, one path going to an overdriven Xotic Bass BB Preamp boosting a Ampeg SVT, for kind of his lower register overdrive tone, then a second path going to an old solid state mids heavy Peavey bass amp, which he runs clean for his sort of mid frequency tone, and finally a third parallel path runs his bass signal through an overdriven Marshall JCM 800, for a more upper frequency emphasized overdrive tone .
      All 3 signals just kind of mixed and overlapping a lot frequency wise, without any kind of fancy crossover or further EQ filtering going on, just as they come out of the separate cabinets of the 3 amps, and the result os an absolutely crushing, yet quite well defined, fairly heavy overdriven main bass tone.
      Anyway back to the topic of my personal take on heavy bass distortion, as said, I think I finally managed to nail the perfect tone for me.
      Mind though that this is specifically for a sort of progressive psychedelic stoner rock project of mine that I am currently working on some songs for, and since the plan is for my bass to be the main instrument of this project, with the additional primary instrumentation predominantly consisting of just drums/percussion and vocals, though with some more sparingly added extra instrumentation that exclusively is going to serve a secondary, more flavor oriented, function, also the bass lines for this project typically won't primarily have a supporting function as otherwise is the most common traditional role of bass, but will serve a much more structural dominant and explicit melodic role, and doesn't necessarily strictly has to fill out the traditional sonic spectrum of a bass either, for one it is tuned 2 half steps above regular 4 string, E standard tuning, as in F# standard tuning, F#1 to A2, like the 4 lowest strings of an 8 string guitar, and is further more run through an always on polyphonic octaver, adding a 1 octave up effect in addition to the regular bass signal, giving an effect similar to that of an 8 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings.
      This of course does give me some more freedom of choice regarding my high gain distortion tone, compared to if I needed to still primarily fill out the more common traditional role of a bass.
      What I managed to achieve is a massively heavy and absolutely thunderous crushing distortion tone with a quite raunchy fuzz-esque quality, but at the same time having a grinding somewhat clanky overdriven edge that actually prevents it from getting too muddy, despite a lot of low end heavy distortion going on, and which contributes to the distortion still having a great deal of well articulated definition.
      The first attributes to a Moksy Black Rat, Rat clone, in Vintage mode (classic Rat type distortion), with the gain turned about half way up (which would actually equal to a fairly high gain distortion tone), and the high end slightly rolled off, though still enough to give it some of that typical raunchy fuzz-esque grid of a classic Rat type distortion, stacked in front of a Joyo California Sound, which is a Tech 21 California preamp pedal clone, meant to emulate a Mesa Boogie type amp/drive, and which is fairly dark voiced, set to a medium gain but quite hefty kind of overdrive, both placed in parallel effects Loop A of my Boss LS-2 (parallel effect loops mixer/switch pedal), and the latter attributes to a Joyo Orange Juice, which is essentially a seriously sized down and scraped clone version of the Tech 21 Oxford preamp pedal, meant to emulate an Orange type amp/drive, set to a somewhat clanky and quite grinding kind of medium overdrive, placed in parallel effects Loop B of the LS-2.
      Loop A and Loop B is then mixed together at an about a 50/50 ratio, and actually kind of fusing relatively smoothly/seamlessly together, without ending up sounding like 2 distinctly different signals sitting on top of each other  (which is kind of my biggest issue with how the popular clean bottom/distorted top approach often end up sounding), but as said, with the grinding, relatively bright sounding, medium gain overdrive from the Orange Juice preventing the quite bottom heavy, raunchy and fuzzy, high gain distortion from turning into a muddy blurry mess, but in fact actually ends up making it sound surprisingly well defined and articulate. 
      I realize this is a lot of relatively abstract explaining, filled with more or less vague adjectives that people will have no possible chance to get any kind of verification of, but I hope it might still be of at least some interest and inspiration to some people, and I will try to pull myself together to actually record some audio samples of my miked up rig, demonstrating how this actually sounds in reality in the nearest future, and update this post with some links to the uploaded examples of my high gain distortion tone.   

In the meantime I hope others will contribute to this thread with their thoughts about and personal approach to high gain bass distortion, and even though I initially failed to provide any actual audio examples to back up my words, I hope others might be more capable of maybe delivering some audio clips or videos to back up their thoughts and claims on this topic.