Why become a member? ×

Boss SY-1

Woodinblack

11 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

I know who bought the Compiq recently :)

I didn't know that was a question? If you head over to the Compiq thread you'll find it's not been a secret, and where I'm getting severely lectured on how compressor pedals only really have any value in a band mix...

'Fraid it's taken the place of Keeley in my affection just as the SY-1 is about to similarly take the place of my FI (although there is a bit of sweepstake being organised by one of the C4 owners on just how long the SY-1 is going to survive on the Krow board - I've bet him it'll last longer than the C4 will on his 😂)

Fortunately your board currently seems to be a place of kind refuge for several of my Brexited pedals...

Edited by Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I didn't know that was a question? If you head over to the Compiq thread you'll find it's not been a secret where I'm getting severely lectured on how compressor pedals only really have any value in a band mix...

'Fraid it's taken the place of Keeley in my affection just as the SY-1 is about to similarly take the place of my FI (although there is a bit of sweepstake being organised by one of the C4 owners on just how long the SY-1 is going to survive on the Krow board - I've bet him it'll last longer than the C4 will on his 😂)

Fortunately your board currently seems to be a place of kind refuge for several of my Brexited pedals...

Both the Bassist and FI feel at home on the continent :)

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I didn't know that was a question? If you head over to the Compiq thread you'll find it's not been a secret where I'm getting severely lectured on how compressor pedals only really have any value in a band mix...

Ooh, must catch up. I always enjoy a good tiff

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yours arrived yet?

It arrived today. I got home 20 minutes ago, I opened the parcel, I tried to read the huge manual, I tried to register the US only pedal, I plugged it in (it has a battery, I found that impressive).

I twiddled some knobs - that is about it. OMFG. Tonight I shall play. Tomorrow I might even gig it, why the hell not!

Will have to find an online manual to see what the send and return do - the paper manual is too small.

It tracks down to the B on a bass with tapewounds without a glitch.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Ooh, must catch up. I always enjoy a good tiff

Ah enjoy :) 

Some learned and insightful comments from @51m0n on the subject, together with typical d*ick-head comments from the usual suspects, which I do my best to ignore! 😁

Edited by Al Krow
*Ain't no profanity filter gonna floor a Compiq user...

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It arrived today. I got home 20 minutes ago, I opened the parcel, I tried to read the huge manual, I tried to register the US only pedal, I plugged it in (it has a battery, I found that impressive).

I twiddled some knobs - that is about it. OMFG. Tonight I shall play. Tomorrow I might even gig it, why the hell not!

Will have to find an online manual to see what the send and return do - the paper manual is too small.

It tracks down to the B on a bass with tapewounds without a glitch.

Cool! What you don't need a PhD in computer editing to go from unboxing to using live?!

It tracks down to a low B without a glitch?!

Just on that latter point alone, if I may quote you:

OMFG !!!

👍

Edited by Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cool. What you didn't need a PhD in computer editing to go from unboxing to using live?!

Its a boss pedal, it acts like a boss pedal. you press the pedal and it turns on and does stuff. You can also hold the pedal and it holds whatever is playing, I think that is genuinely useful. 

It does chords fine, even low ones (haven't tried it with a guitar or stick yet). 

The effect / direct know, pretty obvious does what you think.

The rate / depth is mostly like a filter depth like the big knob on a moog or bass station, and a speed. Pretty obvious

The switch with names on it says what it does, but basically, its that and the variations that you flip around for fun sounds, then try and remember what you found!

Reading the manual, apparently there is a switch on the back for bass / guitar. I didn't use that as I didn't notice it. Dont know what it is set for but I assume guitar. So good it works. 

It tracks down to a low B without a glitch?

Yep, clear and fast, and the tapewounds aren't good for pitch, so I expect better on an ibby.

Even a chord with the B works.

Just on that latter point alone, if I may quote you:

OMFG !!!

👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Some learned and insightful comments from @51m0n on the subject, together with typical Richard-head comments from the usual suspects, which I do my best to ignore! 😁

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Some learned and insightful comments from @51m0n on the subject, together with typical d*ick-head comments from the usual suspects, which I do my best to ignore! 😁

Cripes an honourable mention, a new hyphenated insult or a new insult ‘doick-head’ made up and an edit on a mention after due consideration, I feel honoured to have been so lavishly ignored ✌🏾

17 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Now boys, we are all grown ups ;)

Trouble with some idiots is that you can repeatedly ask them in public forum and by pm not to comment on any of your posts because they are such irritating trolls. You can block them (which I've done) but somehow they simply don't get the message.

Harry, I'm at a bit of a loss. This particular individual is pretty much the sole reason I can find spending time on BC unpleasant.

Suggestions welcome! 

Edited by Al Krow

41 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh that makes sense, obviously if you put the effect before the SY1, it would affect the synth triggering, and if you put it after the SY1, it would have the effect on the synth tones, so the send return just gets the source signal and isn't affected by the synth.

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Believe me I do try! 😂

You'd think the words "please f*uck off and leave me alone" would get through the thick skull of someone who is a qualified hospital doctor. But nope...

Hang on - let’s get this straight and ignore this if you want, but just because you comment on a thread, does not give you the monopoly on a thread, anyone can comment as they wish.

Someone of great knowledge, far greater knowledge than me took the time to write a detailed reply with helpful suggestions only to be met with glib crass answers, and barely a recognition of gratefulness (a thanks emoji doesn’t really cut it) is in my books rude, and why? Probably a deflecting mechanism from a lack of understanding.

And yes we used to chat and exchange information etc. Discuss bass related things with another couple dudes, like compression, but evidently it ground to a halt due to differences.

Of course during this time privileged personal information may have been exchanged, and honestly Bas you are a decent chap at heart, but I don’t share the same ethos as you in a lot of areas or processes in reaching a goal, bass related or otherwise.

Publicising personal information about a ‘fellow BCer’ is not your privilege. I am not ashamed of my job, but it’s up to me who I share this with and any other information about me and my family.

I don’t expect or want an apology, in all honesty it would probably be for show and not meant, but really you should think about it. 

• Like 1

Hey lads, I see you are having some sort of tiff or something, but you know, this is the Boss SY1 thread, and I know threads are supposed to drift but could you take it to PMs or something because am actually really interested in the Boss SY1 as I have one just here and have enough of that at band practices.

Ta mutchly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Hey lads, I see you are having some sort of tiff or something, but you know, this is the Boss SY1 thread, and I know threads are supposed to drift but could you take it to PMs or something because am actually really interested in the Boss SY1 as I have one just here and have enough of that at band practices.

Ta mutchly.

Apologies Woody - and agreed. I'll make this my last response to Cuzzie and hope he takes the hint! I too am really interested in the SY-1! 

@Cuzzie - I've asked (on multiple occasions) on public fora and via PM that you don't comment on my posts because you invariably troll. For example, would you consider this to be yet another snarky comment, or something helpful?

6 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Just rearrange to suit 

Horse

Dead

Stable

Bolted

Door

Fled

Flog

There are a zillion other folk's posts to comment on.

Too much to ask?

Been a while since I've been on this forum and I see the format has now all been smartened up, although some of the abuse clearly hasn't! 😄

I've been interested in bass synth pedals for live use with my band for a while now and am hoping to get my hands on a SY-1 or possibly the C4, although the C4 does seem to be a bit more of a faff. You seem to be first out of the blocks @Woodinblackwith your SY-1 and mentioned you might be gigging yours tonight? Wow! You found any particular usable settings you're already liking? Look forward to getting more clips / detail about this from you - the fact that it's tracking well down to low B was great to hear!

Did you also consider getting a C4 or any of the other bass synth pedals that are currently doing the rounds - seems from one of the other threads, that the Panda Future Impact is also worth checking out?

16 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yours arrived yet?

My PB has a SY-1 hole ready for filling! :) 

PB - 1908 I.jpg

Nice board Al Krow! How do you rate the synth sims on HX Stomp? I guess you'll be able to compare it directly when your SY-1 arrives!

• Like 1

Thanks and welcome back to BC!

I must admit I've struggled to get any decent synth sims from the Stomp, which is part of the reason for me getting the Boss SY-1; the other part is I'm hoping that the Boss interface with easy to tweak knobs will make it really easy to use.

@Quatschmacher is a great guy to pick brains on if you're also thinking about a C4 or FI; he's got both and knows a LOT about synths! 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AlphaK said:

You seem to be first out of the blocks @Woodinblackwith your SY-1 and mentioned you might be gigging yours tonight? Wow! You found any particular usable settings you're already liking? Look forward to getting more clips / detail about this from you - the fact that it's tracking well down to low B was great to hear!

I was very impressed with the tracking - I can play a fast (as fast as I can) riff on the B string from open to the e, and it tracks every bit. The Synth pedals I had before didn't, and also the GR5 with the GK3 pickup didn't as well as this, so that is impressive.

All in all, the word synthesizer is very much an 80s / 90s synth, things that sound like synths, not synths sounding like something else, which is fine, that is what I want.

The SEQ presets are a ton of fun, I got sort of trapped in them last night, I don't know how much use they are particularly with a group but I sort of wrote a few songs around them! As you can imagine just a series of arpeggios and sequences in a variety of patterns, 9/10ths of them in key and one out (seems all modes have one that is out of key).

SFX you could probably use as one offs or as background, a bit to random to be that useful I feel. Bell makes good background sounds but I wouldn't describe them as particularly bell like, maybe they are different on the guitar? who knows, I didn't get round to trying.

Organ - this is really the weak bit. I can see where they are going with the idea, but you aren't convincing anyone it is an organ, and it is not very pleasant.

Strings and Pads, probably the place that I am going to spend my time, some fantastic synth sounds, all working well with chords, even as just a background turned down a bit I find them pleasant. The variations are really good variations - some up, some down, some spread out.

Bass, well, does what you expect, but if you are already down to the low b you are getting pretty low with this! As a result I didn't spend a lot of time with that, I am feeling that is much more a guitar effect.

Lead - loads of fun for real in your face leads, some pretty useable, some I am sure just there for comedy value.

In short, I found loads I liked. How you can work out a system of finding the one you want again, I am not yet sure, the knobs are pretty small, the device is pretty small. Not only are there all those groups and all the variations, the filter and rate knobs can completely change the sound too. I think it is a case of find the effect you want, and take a picture of write it down!

I tried it with a zoom footpedal, but it didn't work in a predictable way that I expected, I am guessing maybe it needs to be wired in a different way. The guitar / bass switch didn't seem to make a whole load of difference either, I imagine it is just there to give it a bit help to the input filters, but as it worked fine in guitar mode, who knows.

I have noted down a couple of patches, One I will give a try on Poker face which we play, and also one for the chorus of brick in the wall as maybe a background subtle thing (I already have synth floor pedals for that). I have the advantage that the pub we are gigging tonight is our 'home' pub - they are our people, its where we do the new songs, its where we get forgiven if we mess up, its where other people occasionally come and join in.

This is not one of those pedals where you buy it and have to work out what it is doing, it is very in your face. Obviously you can turn it down, Strangely instead of a mix control it has separate through and effect levels, which is nice. If I never used it again I would say it was worth the money for the fun I have had from it already, but I am sure as hell going to be using it until everyone else is sick of it.

I will do some more recordings when I get some good sounds to show.

-- edit

the other thing to note is in all the pictures, it is a blue. it isn't blue, it is purple!

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Super helpful post, thanks! 👍

80s / 90s synth sounds are exactly what I'm looking for!

Am I right in thinking you've also got a Helix HX from a comment I saw on another thread (I might be getting confused here, there's a lot of stuff I've been trying to catch up on!). From what I understand that has pretty much the same effects sims as the Stomp. How do you find the synth sims on the HX / how do they compare to the SY-1?

Really looking forward to your further recordings when you get a chance to do them. Btw what interface / DAW are you using to do your sound clips?

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks and welcome back to BC!

I must admit I've struggled to get any decent synth sims from the Stomp, which is part of the reason for me getting the Boss SY-1; the other part is I'm hoping that the Boss interface with easy to tweak knobs will make it really easy to use.

@Quatschmacher is a great guy to pick brains on if you're also thinking about a C4 or FI; he's got both and knows a LOT about synths! 

Thanks. I still learn new stuff all the time. Working on the new v3 manual for the FI made me discover a nugget of information I’d overlooked before.