Why become a member? ×

Ex-Guitarist from luton

Imanupstart

Hi all,
I'm Ross,19 and from Luton. Started playing electric guitar about 4 years ago before seeing the light and swapping to bass. Been playing for about a year on a cheap legacy p bass and am looking to buy me a nice new bass and amp, now that I've started up my own 60s to present day covers band. Must say I'm having twice as much fun learning bass then I ever did playing electric, one of the best decisions I've ever made methinks.
See y'all around :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='354526' date='Dec 14 2008, 08:14 PM']I don't play with other people and I've never played live, which is pretty sad when you are 45![/quote]
Not at all mate, judging by your list you love music and going by your avatar you have a bloody good time making it! Tis all that counts :)

And I'm very jealous MacDaddy, girlfriends working now so hopefully after ~20 years of Luton I can finally see the back of it :huh:

I might add that I have lived in Luton for all but 3 years of my life. Total dump. Unfortunately the wife likes it due to friends and I am tied to local schools for about another 15 years or so!

Coda music is a pretty handy shop though, and Machinehead is just down the road as well.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='355061' date='Dec 15 2008, 02:44 PM']Petes Music Emporium up Hightown was the place :huh:

Sadly missed :)[/quote]

Hmmmn ............ I'd say a bit of the old rose tinted specs there! A fair amount of junk at above junk prices if you ask me.

Oldies like me may recall The old Luton music centre over Westside, a junkshop with guitars just over the road (cheap stuff!), and the short lived guitar shop run by one of the Gittings brothers up Midland road (burned down sadly!)

Actually there's one guy in Coda who is grumpy enough for all of them! Most of them are fine though.

[quote name='Golchen' post='355373' date='Dec 15 2008, 09:16 PM']Hmmmn ............ I'd say a bit of the old rose tinted specs there! A fair amount of junk at above junk prices if you ask me.

Oldies like me may recall The old Luton music centre over Westside, a junkshop with guitars just over the road (cheap stuff!), and the short lived guitar shop run by one of the Gittings brothers up Midland road (burned down sadly!)

Actually there's one guy in Coda who is grumpy enough for all of them! Most of them are fine though.[/quote]

PME had a lot of gear aimed at the beginner, but I wouldn't say it was overpriced. Sure they had a lot of junk, but that was half the fun. I bought loads from there, including my vintage Fender Bassman 130 head (stolen by Andy Preston of Andy's Guitars, Denmark Street), 500w Trace combo, Musicman Sub, vintage Guild B-301, and various cases, boxes, etc.

I remember the music shop at the bottom of Bury Park, on Leagrave Road, but it closed soon after I came to Luton.

It's always worth a haggle in Coda, and generally they will do a price match.

[quote name='Golchen' post='354526' date='Dec 14 2008, 09:14 PM']Hi, I'm also in Luton!

I'm a failed bassist, guitarist, keyboard, chapman stick and drum player. If I could just define failed, I don't play with other people and I've never played live, which is pretty sad when you are 45![/quote]

Nothing to be ashamed about except the "come from Luton bit"