Why become a member? ×

Has Anyone here got an ACG Bass?

Spoombung

I'm currently trying to check out all the UK custom bass makers at the moment as I need a short scale bass made and I'm anxious to try an example of a luthiers work before I come to a decision about ordering.

I've heard a lot about [b]ACG basses[/b] and their preamps being great - but I'm slightly concerned after reading about their 'asymetric' necks (I have no experience of that) and looking at the [i]recurve[/i] body shape gives me the impression it might slide off your lap in the sitting position.

The only way to know for sure is to [b]PLAY[/b] one of course!

Has anyone got one in the London area that I might have a go on for half and hour?

Kev

Hi Kev
I am the lucky owner of two ACG's and I have to say, the asymmetric neck profile on mine are really comfortable and easy to get around on, and I think most people who have played them voiced the same reservations, but were pleasantly surprised. The Recurve shape balances perfectly, whether standing or sitting and doesn't slide off your lap at all. I've been gigging mine week in, week out for over a year, now, and couldn't be happier. I'm GAS free these days!!
I'm down in Swindon, and if you are ever down this way you're welcome to try them
Cheers
Andy

[attachment=17159:DSCF0001.JPG]

Edited by andyonbass

[quote name='andyonbass' post='353573' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:18 PM']Hi Kev
I am the lucky owner of two ACG's and I have to say, the asymmetric neck profile on mine are really comfortable and easy to get around on, and I think most people who have played them voiced the same reservations, but were pleasantly surprised. The Recurve shape balances perfectly, whether standing or sitting and doesn't slide off your lap at all. I've been gigging mine week in, week out for over a year, now, and couldn't be happier. I'm GAS free these days!!
I'm down in Swindon, and if you are ever down this way you're welcome to try them
Cheers
Andy

[attachment=17159:DSCF0001.JPG][/quote]

Hi Andy
Ooooh, Swindon, that's on the way to Bristol, eh? I love to try your basses but don't know when I'll be around your way soon.

That's reassuring about the balance and the neck though. I tend to like basses I can pivot upwards at 45 degrees in the sitting position like these CB basses:

Because the lower horn is extended slightly on the CB bass it won't roll off your lap. The recurve lower horn looks like it won't allow that but if you say the bass is comfortable I believe you! Does Alan vary the dimensions from the four models on display on his website?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='353591' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:35 PM']The assymetric neck is a subtle feature that help with assymetric hands imo :) i.e. we all have assymetric hands.

I'm more of a Harlot man myself and the balance seated or standing is just ace.

My new Harlot is in it's final stages and I'm in Kendal.

Peter[/quote]

Okay the Harlot is the other model, right? Do you know what the details of the assymetric neck are? I really wish I could actually play one.... this is the problem with going custom - there's never a test model.

The best man to ask always is the man himself.

Alan is a very nice guy. Happy to chat about such things.

Here's his website with models and contact details as well as build diaries for every instrument he's made:

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Specs/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Specs/[/url]

Basically the deepest part of the neck is slightly above the centreline and it allows for the shape of the hand better.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Hi
The neck does not need to be asymmetric it is what I do unless asked not to but it is up to the customer at the end of the day. With regard to balance,it depends on the model. As all my basses have a off set this moves the lower horn back a bit and on top of that I like smaller lower horns. The recurve should be fine but the Harlot is more a strap bass and I would say not the best model for sitting down with. Again it depends on how you go about it I don't have a problem with either but I could see that working the way you do you might. There is also the Finn model which is not in the instrument spec page you will find it in the Gallery. At the end of the day I can certainly have a listen to what you have in mind and we can take it from there.
Alan

[quote name='skelf' post='353690' date='Dec 13 2008, 04:22 PM']Hi
The neck does not need to be asymmetric it is what I do unless asked not to but it is up to the customer at the end of the day. With regard to balance,it depends on the model. As all my basses have a off set this moves the lower horn back a bit and on top of that I like smaller lower horns. The recurve should be fine but the Harlot is more a strap bass and I would say not the best model for sitting down with. Again it depends on how you go about it I don't have a problem with either but I could see that working the way you do you might. There is also the Finn model which is not in the instrument spec page you will find it in the Gallery. At the end of the day I can certainly have a listen to what you have in mind and we can take it from there.
Alan[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, Alan. I just wish there was somewhere I could go and try one of your basses - I mean, you can tell instantly if it's going to suit you - and I don't think I'd order a custom model without playing an example first. As I said, I tend to tip the bass up in the sitting position - this helps with wrist position and fingering. A lot of modern basses are built with really small lower horns - and I find the bass slides off and ends up on the floor (if I didn't catch it). Your basses look and sound great - it's just whether the ergonomics suit me or not. That's the first thing I look for in a bass.

Are you playing the bass almost like a classical guitar with the lower bout between your legs. I find that quiet comfortable way of playing and makes the lower horn a non issue. I don't know of a bass in that part of the wordls Andy would be the closest. There will be one in Oxford in a few months if that helps.
Alan

[quote name='skelf' post='353762' date='Dec 13 2008, 06:08 PM']Are you playing the bass almost like a classical guitar with the lower bout between your legs. I find that quiet comfortable way of playing and makes the lower horn a non issue. I don't know of a bass in that part of the wordls Andy would be the closest. There will be one in Oxford in a few months if that helps.
Alan[/quote]

Not exactly. I like the bass to rest on my right leg but to be slightly upright and angled, I suppose. So the bass is in a similar position to a classical guitar without perching it between the legs - which just isn't rock and roll enough for me. I'll keep and eye out for ACG basses in London/Oxford.

I've gotta say, the time I went over to the [i]bass gallery[/i] in Camden to check a few up- market basses the majority of them were colossal behemoths - massive 5 and 6 string monsters, huge frets, 35 and 36 inch scale, big necks and weighty woods and giant hardware. Speaking personally, big basses turn me off. I'm amazed so many people make them like that and so many people [i]want[/i] them like that. I mean... we're not [i]weight lifters[/i]... we're bass players, aren't we? In contrast, I have noticed more and more people requesting shorter scale, lighter instruments on the forums.

Edited by Spoombung

All the body shape I have are no bigger than they need to be in order to accommodate the hardware and work on an aethestic level. Scale length and woods are at customer discretion but if it is full of heavy woods I would point this out before we get under way. I am with you on the basses being as small as is reasonable.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='353788' date='Dec 13 2008, 06:48 PM']I'll keep and eye out for ACG basses in London/Oxford.[/quote]

...and ACG is only a cheapy 1 hour flight away. I've gone from London to Glasgow with Ryanair for 1p + Tax. One penny. Comes out about roughly £8 each way!! Virgin Trains are pretty cheap too.

It probably costs less to go to Glasgow than it does to go into London :)

Edited by 7string

[quote name='skelf' post='353795' date='Dec 13 2008, 06:56 PM']All the body shape I have are no bigger than they need to be in order to accommodate the hardware and work on an aethestic level. Scale length and woods are at customer discretion but if it is full of heavy woods I would point this out before we get under way. I am with you on the basses being as small as is reasonable.[/quote]

I realise that, Alan, it was'nt aimed at your basses, it was just general comment on basses getting bigger and bigger!

Actually, I went to the Bass Gallery looking for quality short scale. There were hundreds of basses but only one shortie - a £120 Squier.
"Oh yeah, everyone comes in here looking for short scales but nobody makes 'em" was the shop assistant's comment.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='7string' post='353845' date='Dec 13 2008, 08:08 PM']...and ACG is only a cheapy 1 hour flight away. I've gone from London to Glasgow with Ryanair for 1p + Tax. One penny. Comes out about roughly £8 each way!! Virgin Trains are pretty cheap too.[/quote]

[quote name='Spoombung' post='353870' date='Dec 13 2008, 08:48 PM']Very funny![/quote]

I'm a Londoner who came to live in Glasgow about 7 years ago, so I've travelled up and down the country a number of times. I've driven, flown and trained it, but I'm NEVER going to do the journey by coach ever again :)

In all seriousness, from the South to Glasgow and back by plane is a day trip nowadays.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='353872' date='Dec 13 2008, 08:55 PM']I realise that, Alan, it was'nt aimed at your basses, it was just general comment on basses getting bigger and bigger!

Actually, I went to the Bass Gallery looking for quality short scale. There were hundreds of basses but only one shortie - a £120 Squier.
"Oh yeah, everyone comes in here looking for short scales but nobody makes 'em" was the shop assistant's comment.[/quote]Hi Kev I own a lefty ACG Recurve Singlecut and when seated I play it as you describe.
I ordered the bass blind because of the price and because I had done a lot of research and plenty of chats with Alan. Lefties are hard to find with custom builds that you are interested in, so a leap of faith was required.
I'm glad I did because it is a great bass in every respect and the neck is so much better than say for instance, a Wal. :)
Playablity and tone wise it is very good.
I'm sure someone on here would let you try theirs, good luck and PM me if you need anything else.
Steve.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='353885' date='Dec 13 2008, 09:15 PM']Hi Kev I own a lefty ACG Recurve Singlecut and when seated I play it as you describe.
I ordered the bass blind because of the price and because I had done a lot of research and plenty of chats with Alan. Lefties are hard to find with custom builds that you are interested in, so a leap of faith was required.
I'm glad I did because it is a great bass in every respect and the neck is so much better than say for instance, a Wal. :huh:
Playablity and tone wise it is very good.
I'm sure someone on here would let you try theirs, good luck and PM me if you need anything else.
Steve.[/quote]

Hi Steve

Excellent! I'm really glad it work out.

I know what you mean about Wal necks; I had Pete trim 10 tons of wood off mine so it's even thinner than a Jazz Bass - so I've got the only playable Wal bass in Christendom :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='354253' date='Dec 14 2008, 02:33 PM']If you are that bothered why not try one of the custom builders in and around london. GB, Sei and Zoot spring immediately to mind.[/quote]

Well, the Sei basses look lovely but they start at £2200! Jesus! And if I asked them for a 30" scale no doubt the price would rise again.
The GB and Zoot websites are dead so I can't tell what kind of thing they do. It all boils down to the same problem - I'd like to play an example first.

A late chime in from me. Yep, I snaffled the one in Camden some days ago, even sending my Status S2 to Greece in order to do so.

[attachment=17240:Harlotfull.jpg]

This is the Harlot that was there. In terms of handling, this bass seems to effortlessly mould itself to my standing playing position and from the bass-eye view the aesthetic works even better than it does looking at it in the garden! Prior to my playing one of Alan's basses, had anyone asked whether I'd consider a set-neck single-cutaway I'd have invoked all manner of epithets pertaining to daftness. Someone has already mentioned the "asymmetric" position one's hand is in when playing au naturel...the neck profile seems to be just the right shape to assist the playing process. In terms of "customer service" I find Alan to be as bespoke as his instruments: I didn't even buy the bass from him yet he's invariably answered my enquiries with patience and generosity. I'm quite convinced that were you to set your heart on an AC, you'd get an instrument made with a fine and rare degree of skill, and one in which you'd be included in every step of the build. For recording purposes I've always only D.I.'d a bass through either a Sansamp or a Pod...I was so impressed with my Harlot that I had to buy it a decent amp the week after!