Why become a member? ×

SOLD - SORRY FOR NOT TAKING IT OFF THE BOARD Beck Signature 5 String

thedavesideofthemoon

Hi! I'm Dave and i'm selling my 2001 Fender USA Roscoe Beck Signature 5 string.

I'm selling the bass for £750 or very near offer and postage would cost £15 with TNT next-day courier.

It's a beautiful bass in almost perfect condition, however almost all of the gigs I now play are on upright bass so it's time to say goodbye![/color]

I bought it from The Bass Cellar in London in 2001 and still have all the original paperwork (I've included a picture of the original receipt). I’ve mostly used it for studio recording and jazz gigs and it’s always been fanatically cared for. The instrument itself is perfectly set-up with a new set of Ernie Ball strings. I work in a guitar shop in Liverpool and the guitar technician in the store regularly services and checks all my basses.

Although the 4-string model can still be found in the Fender 08' catalogue, the production of the 5-string model has now stopped and is now definitely a highly-sought after collector's item.

This really is a professional quality bass. It was designed hand-in-hand by top session-bassist Roscoe Beck and Fender. The 'Bill Lawrence Quad Coil' custom passive pickups were specially made for this bass to defeat the problems that Roscoe Beck had found in other 5-strings.

The sound of this bass is incredibly versatile. You really can dial in pretty much any Fender tone you can think of… There is a mini-toggle switch for each pickup which gives you the option of single-coil (for a classic Jazz Bass sound), parallel (Jazz Bass with no hum and slightly lowered highs), and series (a big fat Precision Bass sound). The tone knob also had a push-pull function on it that will slightly lower the output of the neck pickup so you can get that perfect growly 'Jaco' sound.

The construction and hardware of this bass is absolutely top notch as well. The heavy duty ‘Gotoh’ bridge can be strung either thru-body or thru-bridge and the fingerboard is made from very rare Pau Ferro and is extremely smooth and fast to play. The 6-bolt neck is solid as a rock and very very rarely requires any adjustment.

The bass comes with a very high quality British made Hiscox flight case as pictured. Unfortunately I sold the original case because I only ever use Hiscox cases anyway and i couldn't ever foresee wanting to sell the bass at the time... doh!

There are 3 very small ‘dings’ in the body of the bass and i've included a close-up photo of these 3 marks. Apart from these there is very little to distinguish this bass from a brand new one.

The only other sign that this is not a new bass is the small hole in the scratch-plate where I had a technician add a coil-tap to the pickups as an experiment. It turns out that the bass sounded better with it’s original wiring so it was changed back but unfortunately this left a small hole in the scratch-plate where the coil-tap switch had been placed.

This really is a fantastic instrument and i'll be sorry to see it go. Please don't hesitate to e-mail me with any questions and good luck!

Dave x

Edited by thedavesideofthemoon

[quote name='thedavesideofthemoon' post='351148' date='Dec 10 2008, 08:34 PM']Hi! I'm Dave and i'm selling my 2001 Fender USA Roscoe Beck Signature 5 string.

I'm selling the bass for £750 or very near offer and postage would cost £15 with TNT next-day courier.

It's a beautiful bass in almost perfect condition, however almost all of the gigs I now play are on upright bass so it's time to say goodbye![/color]

I bought it from The Bass Cellar in London in 2001 and still have all the original paperwork (I've included a picture of the original receipt). I’ve mostly used it for studio recording and jazz gigs and it’s always been fanatically cared for. The instrument itself is perfectly set-up with a new set of Ernie Ball strings. I work in a guitar shop in Liverpool and the guitar technician in the store regularly services and checks all my basses.

Although the 4-string model can still be found in the Fender 08' catalogue, the production of the 5-string model has now stopped and is now definitely a highly-sought after collector's item.

This really is a professional quality bass. It was designed hand-in-hand by top session-bassist Roscoe Beck and Fender. The 'Bill Lawrence Quad Coil' custom passive pickups were specially made for this bass to defeat the problems that Roscoe Beck had found in other 5-strings.

The sound of this bass is incredibly versatile. You really can dial in pretty much any Fender tone you can think of… There is a mini-toggle switch for each pickup which gives you the option of single-coil (for a classic Jazz Bass sound), parallel (Jazz Bass with no hum and slightly lowered highs), and series (a big fat Precision Bass sound). The tone knob also had a push-pull function on it that will slightly lower the output of the neck pickup so you can get that perfect growly 'Jaco' sound.

The construction and hardware of this bass is absolutely top notch as well. The heavy duty ‘Gotoh’ bridge can be strung either thru-body or thru-bridge and the fingerboard is made from very rare Pau Ferro and is extremely smooth and fast to play. The 6-bolt neck is solid as a rock and very very rarely requires any adjustment.

The bass comes with a very high quality British made Hiscox flight case as pictured. Unfortunately I sold the original case because I only ever use Hiscox cases anyway and i couldn't ever foresee wanting to sell the bass at the time... doh!

There are 3 very small ‘dings’ in the body of the bass and i've included a close-up photo of these 3 marks. Apart from these there is very little to distinguish this bass from a brand new one.

The only other sign that this is not a new bass is the small hole in the scratch-plate where I had a technician add a coil-tap to the pickups as an experiment. It turns out that the bass sounded better with it’s original wiring so it was changed back but unfortunately this left a small hole in the scratch-plate where the coil-tap switch had been placed.

This really is a fantastic instrument and i'll be sorry to see it go. Please don't hesitate to e-mail me with any questions and good luck!

Dave x[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Just a quick thought. If you don't find a buyer in the next few days, take a chance and stick it on French Ebay with a buy it now price of about 1,175 euros. I just sold my Roscoe Beck V there two days ago (1997 in Candy Apple) and I reckon I now hold the record for a sale. I put it on at 17.49 p.m. and it was sold by 17.51 p.m. Buy it now price was 1000 euros + delivery. The 5's are gold dust here in France and I now reckon I underpriced it for here. The buyer pays all the carriage and it's only £35 to send it here anyway. You can even do the write up in English as all the French musos speak proper language like us.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='351166' date='Dec 10 2008, 07:54 PM']Hey Dave!

your bass looks lovely mate!

its really refreshing to see a newbie to the forum making such an effort with info and pics etc!

i wish you all the luck in the world with your sale (heck even im tempted!!)

:)[/quote]
+1

I've got one of these in shoreline gold and I love it! Would love another one but now's not the time unfortunately.. Good luck with the sale!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='351368' date='Dec 10 2008, 11:44 PM']+1

I've got one of these in shoreline gold and I love it! Would love another one but now's not the time unfortunately.. Good luck with the sale![/quote]

I have one as well and cannot praise it enough both tonally and construction wise. I too wish i could afford another :) , I really wanted one with a natural headstock so I could get it resprayed white and add a tort guard, amazing!

Anyway I watched one exactly the same as this go on ebay a couple of weeks ago for over £900 so grab yourself a bargain and an awesome bass.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='thedavesideofthemoon' post='351148' date='Dec 10 2008, 07:34 PM']Hi! I'm Dave and i'm selling my 2001 Fender USA Roscoe Beck Signature 5 string.

Dave x[/quote]

Have you sold this bass yet?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...