Why become a member? ×

Advice on ebay feedback

King Tut

I bought this bass on sunday - my first ever ebay purchase . . . .

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-1976-Fender-Jazz-bass-sunburst-sounds-awesome_W0QQitemZ110319817544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item110319817544&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-1976-Fender-...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

I've got to say, that for the money I paid for it - I'm happy. It's definately genuine and mostly ofiginal. However, I believe the seller was a little less than frank and open when describing the bass as follows.

When I got it home and took off the bridge and pickup covers, and the scratchplate - i found about 3 sets of holes for every scratchplate screw. 3 additional holes just behind the bridge where a previous bridge had been fitted. One of the bridge saddles and one of the screws was non original, despite me asking at the time if the bridge was original. The description said the bass would come with the 'original' black scratchplate - the black one definately wasn't the original scratchplate that the bass came with when new.The bass was badly in need of a refret, with a crack in the fingerboard on the bottom fret where the trussrod is pushing through.

All of this stuff is 'sortable' but i just feel the guy should have mentioned this in his description. he's got over 700 points with all positive feedback. Am I being picky? should I give him positive feedback for a good price but mention the bad things, or give him his first negative feedback?

On the positive side - he's right when he said it sounds awesome - it certainly does!

Ta Col

I guess it depends upon whether you're playing it or investing in it. Non-original stuff harms resale value (which is probably why it was never mentioned - although the guy might have been ignorant of these things). The crack in the fingerboard is quite a common thing with the bullet truss rod.

It's ultimately up to you how much these little faults/idiosyncrasies annoy you. The first thing you mention is that you're happy, so I'm guessing it's more of a niggling feeling of mild indignation at someone who has been economical with the truth.

[quote name='neepheid' post='349738' date='Dec 9 2008, 02:22 PM']I guess it depends upon whether you're playing it or investing in it. Non-original stuff harms resale value (which is probably why it was never mentioned - although the guy might have been ignorant of these things). The crack in the fingerboard is quite a common thing with the bullet truss rod.

It's ultimately up to you how much these little faults/idiosyncrasies annoy you. The first thing you mention is that you're happy, so I'm guessing it's more of a niggling feeling of mild indignation at someone who has been economical with the truth.[/quote]

+1 to the above

I've been there Col. Remember feedback is for the tranaction, not the item, and the transaction is as yet incomplete (you haven't left feedback). I would contact the seller via ebay stating all of the above and asking what he proposes to do. He may agree compensation, he may apologise, or he may simply tell you to **** ***. If the latter, it's bad feedback with a record via ebay that you did at least try to resolve the issue amicably. If he apologises, push for compernsation or refund (although it sounds like you want to keep it).
Chris

I think that's a pretty fair advert, Col.

He's made it very clear that the bass is NOT in all-original condition, he has specified certain areas where there are definitely replacement parts and others where he can't remember. Unexpected holes and marks hidden beneath scratchplate and bridge? Well I wouldn't have known about them either ... I play the damned things, I don't dismantle them!

And he's had it a long time, too. I have basses I've only owned for a year or two where I struggle to remember exactly what work was needed at the time.

Give him a +ve and enjoy the sound of a really lovely bass. For £1000 I don't think you'll suffer too much. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='349830' date='Dec 9 2008, 04:00 PM']I think that's a pretty fair advert, Col.

He's made it very clear that the bass is NOT in all-original condition, he has specified certain areas where there are definitely replacement parts and others where he can't remember. Unexpected holes and marks hidden beneath scratchplate and bridge? Well I wouldn't have known about them either ... I play the damned things, I don't dismantle them!

And he's had it a long time, too. I have basses I've only owned for a year or two where I struggle to remember exactly what work was needed at the time.

Give him a +ve and enjoy the sound of a really lovely bass. For £1000 I don't think you'll suffer too much. :)[/quote]
+1
Nice bass by the look (and sound!) of it.

It's a hell of a lot of money, you should get what you paid for IMO. Whether he was dishonest about the little faults or genuinely did not know about them is irrelevant if you're totally happy with it and the bass is structurally sound (it sounds like you wanna keep it!)

The matter of leaving bad feedback depends on whether you want compensation. As said above, raise the issue with him. If sellers are rude to me about this sort of thing then i find it very hard to give positive feedback. Neutral feedback is an option if he really doesn't care if you're not entirely happy with it.

I paid £710 for a bass on ebay a while back which has small cracks in the lacquer around the headstock. It wasn't described in the listing but i was still overwhelmed at the bargain i got (it's over 2 grand new and had a proper flightcase too) and would never have sent the bass back! I gave positive feedback but noted the "cosmetic imperfections" in the feedback comments as the seller never replied to my questions.

If he offers a refund would you send it back?

EDIT: That's a hell of a first ebay purchase, i think i bought a bag of screws........... :)

Edited by lemmywinks