Why become a member? ×

D'Addario

Well I have never been able to find the right strings in all my years of bass playing.
As a youngster I used Slinkys, did the job and the local guitar shop always had them in. However the seemed to snap when i thrashed out on them. I then migrated to elites. A very sturdy bass string indeed, long lasting a quite kid on my soft chubby hands. I also gave Rotosound a bash once or twice but was never impressed.
Anyhoo i got so D'Addario Prosteels. Put them on last night and LOVED them. They are very very bright and in the long run may have to purchase some nickle wounds instead but for now and in my tiny little mind they seem to be the best first impression set of stings i have set up with! the D and G seem very tight? but i no nothing of tensions etc. and they may be to bright for my bands sound. but those things will tell over the next couple of weeks.

only time will tell if i stick with them.

I just thought i'd share that with you as this is BASSCHAT

Edited by Rusty Shackleford

I prefer D'Addario nickels to stainless steel. I used them for years but have been toying with cheapo Roberts stainless steel strings for a while now. But when I go back to nickel it will be D'Addario without doubt. I tried Prosteels but didn't like the way they felt.

Paul.

Spent years using EPS180 sets - 35/55/75/95 - but have worked my way on to EPS170 sets - 45/65/80/100 - these days. Undoubtedly, as D'Addario describe these, super bright - but that level of cut-through suits the music I play. Also use D'Addario Chromes for my fretless basses, and D'Addario Phosphor Bronze for my acoustics. Consistently good strings.

If the issue of feel is gauge/tension, then there are plenty of options in the ProSteels range. If it's texture/player noise, then Half Rounds provide an interesting alternative to textured Nickel or ProSteels.

The only brighter string I've played was an SIT set, that came fitted to a new G&L L2000 - although not sure if these were Rock Brights or Power Steel. I was able to make a direct comparison as I had another L2000 strung with fresh ProSteels.

Talking of D'addario's,
I put a set of flats on my Ibby blazer and i think i almost like then better than the TI jazzers that were on there.I think they're D'addarios anyway,they have the green,blue,red and gold coloured ball ends with a dark blue silk winding.Any ideas which ones they are for future reference ??
cheers.

[quote name='Faithless' post='350218' date='Dec 9 2008, 09:46 PM']Sorry, but shouldn't this be in Miscellaneous Equipment and Accessories section? :)

Just tell me No, and I'll just get my coat then.[/quote]

NO! well maybe....,who cares? with all the sub forums going on here it's complicated enough! well for my poor head it is. :huh:

I am also a new convert to D'Addario nickel strings! Got my first set on Monday.

I drop tune my stingray and was having tension issues. The low C* was so flappy and horrible even with a set of rotosound's with a gauge of 50-110!

I consulted Robbie at RIM custom's about the problem and he sent me through a set of D'Addario nickels with a gauge of 55-110. They feel tight and sound amazing, my definite sting of choice from now on. Cheers Robbie!

I recently bought a set of Prosteels (55-105 methinks), and I'm another convert. Lovely zing and better sustain than the nickels I had been using previously. I don't like the coloured ball ends though, I know it's supposed to help you identify which string it is but really, how inexperienced do you have to be to not be able to order stings by thickness without the need for individually coloured ball ends? It looks so sh*t, I'll need to get a bass with through body stringing to hide them.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='349964' date='Dec 9 2008, 05:24 PM']Just tried D'addario nickels on the spunkster today.I'm afraid to say the DR Sunbeams went straight back on.Might give the prosteels a go tho' as i've been toying with the idea of Stainless strings again.
Cool that you've found your string tho'. :huh:[/quote]
PMed regarding a straight swap of my only used for 20 minute steels for your nickles. :)

[quote name='jono b' post='351068' date='Dec 10 2008, 06:06 PM']I recently bought a set of Prosteels (55-105 methinks), and I'm another convert. Lovely zing and better sustain than the nickels I had been using previously. I don't like the coloured ball ends though, I know it's supposed to help you identify which string it is but really, how inexperienced do you have to be to not be able to order stings by thickness without the need for individually coloured ball ends? It looks so sh*t, I'll need to get a bass with through body stringing to hide them.[/quote]

I like the different coloured ball ends

[quote name='jono b' post='351068' date='Dec 10 2008, 06:06 PM']I recently bought a set of Prosteels (55-105 methinks), and I'm another convert. Lovely zing and better sustain than the nickels I had been using previously. I don't like the coloured ball ends though, I know it's supposed to help you identify which string it is but really, how inexperienced do you have to be to not be able to order stings by thickness without the need for individually coloured ball ends? It looks so sh*t, I'll need to get a bass with through body stringing to hide them.[/quote]

i'm not keen on the colour ball ends, thats a minus.