Why become a member? ×

Lurker out of hiding

AM1

[quote name='budget bassist' post='347678' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:15 AM']Though you could get a real bargain on a SS1 right now because of the general fall in warwick prices.[/quote]

Tell me more!!!!!

Also, I have been looking at FleaBay - might be a bit dubious though, buying a 2nd hand bass...what should I be looking for??

[quote name='AM1' post='347680' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:22 AM']Tell me more!!!!!

Also, I have been looking at FleaBay - might be a bit dubious though, buying a 2nd hand bass...what should I be looking for??[/quote]

It definately is a bigger risk, but you will have more chance of selling it on with no loss if its not what your after. Its time and effort but you'll have more experience of what you like and dont like. (this is my excuse for going through FAR too many basses in the last year or so anyway!)

As for what you should be looking for as far as the auction is concerned. play before you buy, or at least meet in person. Its a lot of money and its not worth being ripped off.

Alternativly there are a shed load of basses for sale on here. Maybe some that you hadnt thought of checking out too! Generally speaking, there are better deals to be had here too, and you get the support of the forum if something goes wrong, which has proven invaluable recently!

AM, your choice of bass should probably be guided by the music you intend to play. The strength of the jazz bass is that its a very versatile instrument and more or less an industry standard. If you intend to play a wide variety of pop/soul/funk/rock covers the jazz will probably allow you to get closer to nailing the sounds on the CD's. Most session musicians have a jazz bass in their arsenal of instruments.

The Warwick sounds more distinctive and more a matter of personal taste. Probably a better bass to have if you're planning on playing more originals or a lot of music that was originally recorded using a Warwick.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='347752' date='Dec 7 2008, 10:46 AM']All seems a bit "Fishy" to me--an "I want you back" vid,mmmmmm me not so sure after all.If i'm wrong then fair play AM but i'm on the fence ATM or am i just a bit slow. :ph34r:[/quote]

Kenny

What is it you're not sure about?

I posted the video link as a specific example of a great bass sound, which I really and genuinely like.

Regards

AM

[quote name='AM1' post='347675' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:09 AM']When people make comments about marine conservation issues, with an evident lack of understanding of the real problems which affect the marine environment, it tends to get a little annoying.[/quote]

You kinda missed the point a bit on that one!

Ignore me. I should have explained better.

Warwick do not use chemicals that kill Dolphins, nor do they use chemicals that cause cancer (as I have claimed in the past). I just f***ing hate them, so I make up lies about them in the tradition of all great school playgrounds. I assumed you wouldn't take me seriously. No one else here does.

If I were you I'd get the Jazz, but then I would say that. If you do, I'd go for one with an S1 Switch (ie not the newly issued Fender Jazz). It gives you the versatility of a Jazz, but can also do a reasonable P impression. I'd also look for second hand on here.

If you wanna get a Warwick though, again look for second hand on here. Warwicks seem out of fashion at the moment (in these environmentally aware times), so you'll be able to pick up a bargain.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='347891' date='Dec 7 2008, 02:40 PM']You kinda missed the point a bit on that one!

Warwick do not use chemicals that kill Dolphins, nor do they use chemicals that cause cancer (as I have claimed in the past). I just f***ing hate them, so I make up lies about them in the tradition of all great school playgrounds. I assumed you wouldn't take me seriously. No one else here does.

If I were you I'd get the Jazz, but then I would say that. If you do, I'd go for one with an S1 Switch (ie not the newly issued Fender Jazz). It gives you the versatility of a Jazz, but can also do a reasonable P impression. I'd also look for second hand on here.

If you wanna get a Warwick though, again look for second hand on here. Warwicks seem out of fashion at the moment (in these environmentally aware times), so you'll be able to pick up a bargain.[/quote]
But Warwicks do make you grow a mullet, right?

right.

Then it's easier to just say you hate them and why.

I'm a new member, hence I don't know you from Adam and there was no indication that your post wasn't serious.

Why do you hate Warwick so much, out of idle curiousity.

I am leaning more towards Fender but purely on sound and versatility.

Regards
AM

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='347891' date='Dec 7 2008, 02:40 PM']You kinda missed the point a bit on that one!

If you wanna get a Warwick though, again look for second hand on here. Warwicks seem out of fashion at the moment (in these environmentally aware times), so you'll be able to pick up a bargain.[/quote]

[quote name='AM1' post='347976' date='Dec 7 2008, 05:07 PM']right.

Then it's easier to just say you hate them and why.

I'm a new member, hence I don't know you from Adam and there was no indication that your post wasn't serious.

Why do you hate Warwick so much, out of idle curiousity.

I am leaning more towards Fender but purely on sound and versatility.

Regards
AM[/quote]

I hate them because they look like peices of driftwood, their necks are (usually) chunky and crap, their stupid small body makes the necks feel overly long, they usually take batteries (batteries? In a musical instrument? What is the world coming too?), they are favoured either by people playing horrible shouty music about being pissed off with mummy and daddy or mulletted hi-tech wearers who think their session musicians, they don't sound very good, they harm dolphins, cause cancer and I'm a hate-filled individual who has abandonment issues.

[quote name='AM1' post='347839' date='Dec 7 2008, 01:26 PM']Kenny

What is it you're not sure about?

I posted the video link as a specific example of a great bass sound, which I really and genuinely like.

Regards

AM[/quote]

Well if thats the case then i humbly apologise.
Sooooooo if you fancy a Jazzer and you like the tone in that vid then check this one out
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgIMPHGRFT8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgIMPHGRFT8[/url]

IMO as good a quality bass as your average Fender Jazz,sounds as good and a fair bit cheaper too!
[url="http://willowsguitar.com/willow_sub10_1.html"]Here[/url]

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='348024' date='Dec 7 2008, 06:35 PM']IMO as good a quality bass as your average Fender Jazz,sounds as good and a fair bit cheaper too!
[url="http://willowsguitar.com/willow_sub10_1.html"]Here[/url][/quote]

You might lose more on the resale value though if you don't get on with it.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='347983' date='Dec 7 2008, 05:22 PM']I hate them because they look like peices of driftwood, their necks are (usually) chunky and crap, their stupid small body makes the necks feel overly long, they usually take batteries (batteries? In a musical instrument? What is the world coming too?), they are favoured either by people playing horrible shouty music about being pissed off with mummy and daddy or mulletted hi-tech wearers who think their session musicians, they don't sound very good, they harm dolphins, cause cancer and I'm a hate-filled individual who has abandonment issues.[/quote]

OK, well now it's becoming clear that your sense of humour is drier than a Nun's chuff doing the splits in the desert, we can move on.

Let's forget all the peripheral BS - you cannot *seriously* say that the sound of the Warwick in, for example, Too Young To Die is NOT amazingly sexy.

Regards
AM

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='348024' date='Dec 7 2008, 06:35 PM']Well if thats the case then i humbly apologise.
Sooooooo if you fancy a Jazzer and you like the tone in that vid then check this one out
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgIMPHGRFT8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgIMPHGRFT8[/url]

IMO as good a quality bass as your average Fender Jazz,sounds as good and a fair bit cheaper too!
[url="http://willowsguitar.com/willow_sub10_1.html"]Here[/url][/quote]

You are right, the sound is in the vein of what I like.

However, I respectfully draw your attention to the name! :)

[quote name='AM1' post='348295' date='Dec 8 2008, 02:18 AM']Let's forget all the peripheral BS - you cannot *seriously* say that the sound of the Warwick in, for example, Too Young To Die is NOT amazingly sexy.[/quote]

Too Young to Die? The 1990 television movie starring Brad Pitt and Juliette Lewis?

I must admit, I'm not familiar with it.

[quote name='AM1' post='348295' date='Dec 8 2008, 02:18 AM']OK, well now it's becoming clear that your sense of humour is drier than a Nun's chuff doing the splits in the desert, we can move on.

Let's forget all the peripheral BS - you cannot *seriously* say that the sound of the Warwick in, for example, Too Young To Die is NOT amazingly sexy.

Regards
AM[/quote]

Nice imagery there.

Welcome!

I always thought Stu Zender was a Warwick man through and through but I thought I read recently (probably in that BG Magazine article he later slated) that he had an old Fender he'd used in the early recordings? I am probably wrong of course.

Oh and, er by the way, if recent experience on here is anything to go by, if you're a female and post pictures of yourself, you're likely to end up with threads where everyone tries to vie and hustle for your affections.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='348458' date='Dec 8 2008, 11:36 AM']Too Young to Die? The 1990 television movie starring Brad Pitt and Juliette Lewis?

I must admit, I'm not familiar with it.[/quote]

Hahaha.

Would it be a reasonable assumption that Jamiroquai CD's kill dolphins too? :)

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='348556' date='Dec 8 2008, 01:13 PM']Nice imagery there.

Welcome!

I always thought Stu Zender was a Warwick man through and through but I thought I read recently (probably in that BG Magazine article he later slated) that he had an old Fender he'd used in the early recordings? I am probably wrong of course.

Oh and, er by the way, if recent experience on here is anything to go by, if you're a female and post pictures of yourself, you're likely to end up with threads where everyone tries to vie and hustle for your affections.

Good luck! :)[/quote]

Cheers for the welcome! (Same to everyone else!)

Thanks for the tip, pics duly removed!

If you have any more info about the use of Fender on early recordings, I'd be interested. Any research I've done suggests Warwick was the weapon of choice.

Rgds
AM

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='348306' date='Dec 8 2008, 07:15 AM']Thats the point !!! :)[/quote]

Actually it really appeals to me just for the sick humour factor.

So, when someone walks up and says hey what type of bass is that? Just casually reply, a SPUNKY one.

Ha.

>>Note to self...must stop being childish and GROW UP! :huh: