Why become a member? ×

Lurker out of hiding

AM1

Greetings

I'm a newbie, based in London.

Currently stuck between the choice of two basses - Warwick Streamer Stage 1 or Fender Jazz (marcus miller).

Tough call!!

Anyone selling either bass is welcome to PM me.

Hopefully Santa will bring me a bass! :)

Regards

AM

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

So that I understand properly, how does the chemical treating of wood actually impact the water/environment in which dolphins live?

Notwithstanding the chemical issue you described, which of these two basses do you rate highest, from a sound/form factor perspective?

Cheers

AM

[quote name='AM1' post='347551' date='Dec 6 2008, 10:30 PM']Hi, thanks for the welcome.

So that I understand properly, how does the chemical treating of wood actually impact the water/environment in which dolphins live?

Notwithstanding the chemical issue you described, which of these two basses do you rate highest, from a sound/form factor perspective?

Cheers

AM[/quote]

If the chemicals are disposed off safely, they don't (providing you don't take your bass in the sea).

It's when they enter the water supply that the problems start. If no one bought products treated with dolphin harming chemicals then the risk would be eliminated....

Apologies, I haven't quite figured out the quote function here.

One has to take a pragmatic approach to environmental issues. That means that it is realistic to consider the possibility that, although your intentions are honourable, it is simply not realistic to believe that one can prevent all consumers from buying products with harmful products.

There are masses of chemicals used every day in multiple manufacturing processes, which can harm dolphins, if they enter the water supply. The root cause of the problem needs to be addressed to see any change and the way to do that is to be realistic that consumers will still buy items treated with harmful chemicals. The chemical usage itself is what needs to change.

There are two ways to do this: one is change policy at Warwick and two is change policy at European/Governmental level. Out of interest, what actions have you taken at regulatory level? There are EC Directives and Standards which govern the use of harmful chemicals. Also, have you written to Warwick and outlined your concerns?

I appreciate your point, but I still don't see a convincing argument that the chemical used can enter the water supply nor any evidence that the chemical is in fact harmful to marine life and can therefore detrimentally impact dolphins. What you are essentially saying is - Warwick use a chemical, which, if used in applications which are likely to result in said chemical entering the water supply, may be harmful to dolphins.

This is an entirely different proposition from your opening gambit. It would really be very unlikely for me to take a musical instrument into the sea nor to put it near water.

For your point to be convincing, you need to demonstrate the link between causation of dolphin death and the chemical and the likelihood that the chemical is/has entered the water through bass guitar production and use.

Regards

AM

Edited by AM1

IMO for Marcus Miller money you may as well buy a jazz bass that looks good (no stupid scratchplate covering half the body) and upgrade it similar to MM spec. The BAII does cock-all more than a standard bridge (apart from fill up some of the empty space on the body) anyway, and you can stick one of the millions of 2 band preamps in. Easy.

:) brilliant thread!

Welcome annmarie, i see you've met TBBC, the forum scoundrel :huh:
You may do well to never take him seriously!

As for the jazz/warwick issue, i'd be pretty stumped too, have you played either of them? I love jazz bass necks, but the warwick supposedly has a real growl to it, though i wouldn't know, not having played either of those particular basses.

That has the be the best response I've seen to one of Beefy's sillies, Welcome to BC AM!

Oh, and sod the MM Jazz, go for an American Standard, or a non Fender brand where you'll get more for your money, and make sure you try them, the MM and Warwicks have very different necks.

Sound is subjective, while a bass plays a large part, so does the amplification.

[quote name='AM1' post='347596' date='Dec 6 2008, 11:26 PM']Apologies, I haven't quite figured out the quote function here.

One has to take a pragmatic approach to environmental issues. That means that it is realistic to consider the possibility that, although your intentions are honourable, it is simply not realistic to believe that one can prevent all consumers from buying products with harmful products.

There are masses of chemicals used every day in multiple manufacturing processes, which can harm dolphins, if they enter the water supply. The root cause of the problem needs to be addressed to see any change and the way to do that is to be realistic that consumers will still buy items treated with harmful chemicals. The chemical usage itself is what needs to change.

There are two ways to do this: one is change policy at Warwick and two is change policy at European/Governmental level. Out of interest, what actions have you taken at regulatory level? There are EC Directives and Standards which govern the use of harmful chemicals. Also, have you written to Warwick and outlined your concerns?

I appreciate your point, but I still don't see a convincing argument that the chemical used can enter the water supply nor any evidence that the chemical is in fact harmful to marine life and can therefore detrimentally impact dolphins. What you are essentially saying is - Warwick use a chemical, which, if used in applications which are likely to result in said chemical entering the water supply, may be harmful to dolphins.

This is an entirely different proposition from your opening gambit. It would really be very unlikely for me to take a musical instrument into the sea nor to put it near water.

For your point to be convincing, you need to demonstrate the link between causation of dolphin death and the chemical and the likelihood that the chemical is/has entered the water through bass guitar production and use.

Regards

AM[/quote]

Welcome AM,
and too bloody shay tBBC :)

Hi again.

Thanks to all for the welcome.

I have played the Jazz but not the Warwick, but this week I will try to do a side by side comparison.

The sound on the Fender is absolutely fantastic, especially the rich tones at the low end.

Just check this out - [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FGRGv6s0rTg"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FGRGv6s0rTg[/url] This is exactly the sound I love.

BUT - I also love how the Warwick sounds in Too Young To Die.

Here's a list (though not exhaustive) of my musical influences:

Muse, SLF, Stone Roses, Weller, Pink Floyd, Jamiroquai, Parliament, RHCP, Pearl Jam, RATM, Primal Scream, Soundgarden, Tripping daisy, Frank Zappa, The Beatles, Led zeppelin, Faith no more, Pavement, Nirvana, Pearl jam, Stone temple pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, Joe Walsh & The James Gang, Manic Street Preachers, Mr bungle, GONG, Radiohead, Jeff buckley, NIN, Terrorvision, Alice in chains, Live, Pixies, Parliament, Lenny Kravitz, Neil young, Sex Pistols, Sly and the family stone, Reef, The Jam, The Who, Doors, Velvet Underground, Kinks, Ramones, Funkadelic, Mother love bone, Queens of the stone age, Paradise Lost, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix.

In the end, the choice will inevitably come down to sound. Although, I also have to consider versatility and the Fender certainly seems a more versatile instrument than the Warwich.

No idea yet about amps but I like funk and rock and punk so I don't want to restrict myself to one "genre" or one sound.

Regards
AM

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='347650' date='Dec 7 2008, 12:51 AM']I agree its unlikely.

But its always the minority spoiling it for the majority....

[attachment=16921:Underwater_music1.jpg][/quote]

This is an erroneous statement with no basis. Where is this minority?

You have failed to demonstrate a link between causation of dolphin deaths and the chemical used by Warwick and the likelihood that the chemical is/has/will enter the water through Warwick bass guitar production and use.

In any case, negative actions of a minority must never be able to influence or remove the rights of the majority, to freedom of choice.

Regards

AM

[quote name='budget bassist' post='347667' date='Dec 7 2008, 02:27 AM']:) haha, i was expecting this to be someone already on here, otherwise they wouldn't be playing along with TBBC so much :huh:

haha thanks for a laugh[/quote]

Budget Bassist

I am a genuine newbie (attached a pic).

But that doesn't mean I won't challenge latent BS when I ask for genuine advice about instrument selection.

Regards

AM

Edited by AM1

[quote name='MythSte' post='347658' date='Dec 7 2008, 01:13 AM']IP CHECK! FERRET YOU BASTARD![/quote]

Just to provide a little context, as a number of commentators are now suggesting I am someone called "bassferret".

When people make comments about marine conservation issues, with an evident lack of understanding of the real problems which affect the marine environment, it tends to get a little annoying. I spend half of my life pulling crap from the sea - see attached pic.

I would be really grateful for any advice anyone can offer on comparative info between Warwick Streamer Stg 1 and Fender Jazz Bass (MM sig)

Regards

AM

Edited by AM1