Why become a member? ×

I bought the Zeller!!

ardi100

I went ahead and bought my school's unused double bass. My fears it was too small were unfounded, turned out my measuring was suspect.

It needed some work (new endpin, bridge, strings, tail wire and soundpost adjustment) and I've just got it back from Lawrence Dixon. Oh. My. God!! It's a different bass. Even my wife says it sounds beautiful!!

Will post pics but having trouble uploading them.

The action is so low, I'll have to stop finding excuses for bad playing!

definitely keeping it, plan is to get out playing it after new year in some form and if it takes off i will sell my yanagisawa tenor sax and buy a better bass , seems that up here those electric players that have succesfully migrated to the upright are out playing all the time, and get an estate car to get it about!, cheers, Jez.

[quote name='ardi100' post='346822' date='Dec 5 2008, 09:49 PM']I went ahead and bought my school's unused double bass. My fears it was too small were unfounded, turned out my measuring was suspect.

It needed some work (new endpin, bridge, strings, tail wire and soundpost adjustment) and I've just got it back from Lawrence Dixon. Oh. My. God!! It's a different bass. Even my wife says it sounds beautiful!!

Will post pics but having trouble uploading them.

The action is so low, I'll have to stop finding excuses for bad playing![/quote]

MB1. :)
"Ah!...So, your the lucky fella who bought the Zeller?...Sorry!...I'll get me Coat!". :huh:

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='352057' date='Dec 11 2008, 06:59 PM']Have I got this right ... you've only just been introduced to the world of DB and it's been to a rehearsal already ?[/quote]

Nay, a gig, last night!

Actually, I played years ago back in Oz but had to leave my bass there. I hadn't picked one up for about 5 years with no real playing on DB for about 10! It's coming back to me slowly. First and thumb positions ok, anything further south is a bit wayward!

Edited by ardi100

[quote name='dougal' post='352716' date='Dec 12 2008, 02:13 PM']May I humbly suggest working through Vance for the southern end of things?

[url="http://www.boosey.com/shop/prod/Vance-George-Progressive-Repertoire-Double-Bass-1-Book-CD/914712"]http://www.boosey.com/shop/prod/Vance-Geor...-Book-CD/914712[/url][/quote]

Thanks for that, I'll tactically hint at it for Christmas - if there's any money left after the hints bout a pickup!

[quote name='ardi100' post='351855' date='Dec 11 2008, 03:28 PM']Is great!! Played at a full reheasal and it sounded great, played great and left me with a big stupid grin!![/quote]
That'll happen every time you play the DB. They are very gratifying to play.

Enjoy and keep us posted.

[quote name='TPJ' post='355198' date='Dec 15 2008, 05:25 PM']That'll happen every time you play the DB. They are very gratifying to play.

Enjoy and keep us posted.[/quote]

Certainly happened at my gig last night. Not just mine either, it's great playing double bass where most acts are just acoustic guitars!

• 5 months later...

Hi ardi100.

I have just bought an Identical Zeller this weekend, and have also returned to upright playing after a 20 year hiatus between youth orchestra and now with Blues / Folky Americana band.
My Zeller needs similar TLC as yours - New bridge and strings - I will get a luthier to install the new bridge, and check the soundpost as well. (It sounds very dead on the E and A at the moment.)

I have been deliberating over strings this week and can't decide between Pirastro Obligatos, or Helicore hybrids.
A search on the web threw up a couple of posts suggesting that the Helicores have manufacturing / QC problems and sometimes break after a couple of months. Another site also suggested the Obligatos were only good for 6 months hard playing, with de-tuning between gigs to release the tension. I am a bit reluctant to spend £130 on strings that will only last 6 months!
How are your Helicores holding up? I know this is subjective, but could you describe the sound with the Zeller? P.S. do you play mainly Pizz or Arco?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Moo.

[quote name='Moo' post='500523' date='May 29 2009, 03:12 AM']Another site also suggested the Obligatos were only good for 6 months hard playing, with de-tuning between gigs to release the tension.[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend de-tuning strings all the time. That's what will kill them after a few months. Always leave them tuned to pitch, otherwise you will have serious tuning problems and most likely, an out of place soundpost.

For strings, Pirastro have just brought out a weich/soft version of the Evah Pirazzhis. Should be very nice.

Edited by chrkelly

[quote name='Moo' post='500523' date='May 29 2009, 03:12 AM']Hi ardi100.

I have just bought an Identical Zeller this weekend, and have also returned to upright playing after a 20 year hiatus between youth orchestra and now with Blues / Folky Americana band.
My Zeller needs similar TLC as yours - New bridge and strings - I will get a luthier to install the new bridge, and check the soundpost as well. (It sounds very dead on the E and A at the moment.)

I have been deliberating over strings this week and can't decide between Pirastro Obligatos, or Helicore hybrids.
A search on the web threw up a couple of posts suggesting that the Helicores have manufacturing / QC problems and sometimes break after a couple of months. Another site also suggested the Obligatos were only good for 6 months hard playing, with de-tuning between gigs to release the tension. I am a bit reluctant to spend £130 on strings that will only last 6 months!
How are your Helicores holding up? I know this is subjective, but could you describe the sound with the Zeller? P.S. do you play mainly Pizz or Arco?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Moo.[/quote]

Hi Moo,

I've had no problems with the Helicores.

The E and A sound fantastic, deep and full and the D and G are ok, a bit weaker and tinner. This could be due to not having bridge adjusters and being able to get much more finger on the E and A. I'm playing only piz so far, although I'd like to do some arco soon.

Hope that helps.

Adrian.

I've had two sets of helicore hybrids on my zeller and found them dull and hard to bow. The D and G strings have also broken within a year.

I've recently got a set of thomastick spirocores and have been much happier. They are quite bright but they start nice and accurately under the bow and, as expected, sound nice and round for pizz. If you want something darker the superflexibles are also good. My spirocores were about £100. I seem to remember I also looked at the obligatos.

It's funny about the d'addarios, I never really liked them on the upright, but I have the flatwound chromes on a fender p and they are brilliant.