Why become a member? ×

Using amp head without speaker

ELG

I would like to know if using an amp head without connecting it to a speaker is safe or can damage the amp? I plan to use only the line out direct to a di box. The head I am talking about is the acoustic image Clarus. Thank you in advance for your help! 

I'm no exxpert but i was always told with solid state or class D it was ok to do that with master volume completely OFF.

You can't do it with a valve power stage but i have no idea why that would be different.

Best to wait until one of the BC experts comes along with definitive answer.

Dave

• Thanks 1

I've never really understood why more folk don't use their D class amps, in "post-pre" DI mode, out directly into the FOH. Our amps generally have a pre-amp we really like which is why we bought the thing in the first place!

Saves the faff of getting a separate pre-amp with: the 'right sound', decent EQ and DI out. 

And let's face it a D class head in a gig bag ain't exactly bulky. Some, like the TC RH750, also have built in tuner, dirt and comp :) 

Edited by Al Krow

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm no exxpert but i was always told with solid state or class D it was ok to do that with master volume completely OFF.

You can't do it with a valve power stage but i have no idea why that would be different.

Best to wait until one of the BC experts comes along with definitive answer.

Dave

A SS amp can stand an open circuit at the output but a valve amp has to see a load equivalent to the minimum Ohmage of the amp head. If not, the output transformer can fry.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, NikNik said:

A SS amp can stand an open circuit at the output but a valve amp has to see a load equivalent to the minimum Ohmage of the amp head. If not, the output transformer can fry.

Thanks for that. Its been one of those things i kept meaning to look up. xD

I use my GK MB200 head as a pre-amp direct to FOH when using with my JamMan pedal loaded with sampled sounds. I did check the manual that this was ok.

Dave 

• Thanks 1