Why become a member? ×

Becos CompIQ. Anyone seen this?

dave_bass5

Just now, Daz39 said:

Wow - that's a lot of stuff  in a small box, the larger unit looks great too. Colour me curious. Any idea on prices?

CompIQ MINI Pro Compressor Pedal for Guitar & Bass

£128

CompIQ PRO Stella Compressor Pedal for Guitar & Bass

£223£188

9 minutes ago, Opticaleye said:

Manual here...https://becosfx.com/product/compiq-pro-stella-compressor-pedal-for-guitar-bass/

The mix of tape saturation and parallel compression should give a few tone options.

Wow - that is fully-featured, innit!

Reading the tilt-eq thing: is that a similar sort of thing to the VPF/VLE Markbass use: moving some freq up while attenuating others? Sounds v.useful, esp with the H/L switch to tailor it to Guitar or Bass.

17 minutes ago, krispn said:

My simplistic understanding is a Tilt eq  has a 'set point' and like a seesaw when you favor one side or the other the tone is effected at that set point to more bass or treble

Sounds not dissimilar to how a tone pot might operate on a passive bass, just from its likely effect on the tone from what you're saying. 

Edited by Al Krow

Not quite. A passive tone pot rolls off only where as a tilt eq servers a different purpose. Think a tone pot with pivot set at say 400Hz and the ability to boost low or highs. I have one built into my amp which is labelled room Balance. It allows for additional ‘tuning’ of the eq around this pivot to accommodate dark or bright sounding rooms in my amp. 

Googke tilt eq or you tube and you’ll find more eloquent descriptions than mine 😀

• Thanks 1

Given that I'd never heard of a Rane DC-24 pedal, tilt EQ, tape saturation and parallel compression, I'm going back to the comfort zone of my TC Spectracomp 'out of the box' set at between 2 and 3 out of 10...😄 

Btw "room balance" sounds much more user friendly than "tilt EQ". 

I actually do like what the TC does in putting a 'sheen' on my tone whereas my Keeley Bassist is very flat, which is absolutely fine for my use of it as an end of chain limiter, to protect against filter pedal signal spikes, but it doesn't float my boat as a compressor. 

Given that the Becos is aiming to be in the same family as the Keeley, I'd be interested to see if it was similarly "flat". I could still see me using the smaller Becos pedal as an end of chain limiter, (assuming the Stomp doesn't also make that redundant!), with a smaller form factor and greater functionality than my Keeley Bassist . 

Well all is about to be revealed as Ordep now has one... 

Edited by Al Krow

48 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Given that I'd never heard of a Rane DC-24 pedal, tilt EQ, tape saturation and parallel compression, I'm going back to the comfort zone of my TC Spectracomp 'out of the box' set at between 2 and 3 out of 10...😄 

Btw "room balance" sounds much more user friendly than "tilt EQ". 

I actually do like what the TC does in putting a 'sheen' on my tone whereas my Keeley Bassist is very flat, which is absolutely fine for my use of it as an end of chain limiter, to protect against filter pedal signal spikes, but it doesn't float my boat as a compressor. 

Given that the Becos is aiming to be in the same family as the Keeley, I'd be interested to see if it was similarly "flat". I could still see me using the smaller Becos pedal as an end of chain limiter, (assuming the Stomp doesn't also make that redundant!), with a smaller form factor and greater functionality than my Keeley Bassist . 

Well all is about to be revealed as Ordep now has one... 

Where do you buy Rane DC-24 pedals ?

Are they good for metal ?

Edited by funky8884

Just now, funky8884 said:

I cannot see where I wrote "pedal"   

"Rane DC-24" doesn't mean "Rane DC-24 pedal"

Am I missing something ?

Aha - well that just further proves my ignorance then! But methinks we have identified a gap in the market between us. And suitably tweaked I KNOW it could be great for metal. 

• Like 1

The Tilt EQ would be similar to the Diamond Compressor's (or, if you have a Zoom B3n, the Glam comp model).

It seems very fully featured for it's size. I'm happy with my Markbass Compressore and Basswitch Dual Band comp but this is speaking to me. 🤔

• 4 weeks later...

Tilt EQ is similar to Quad's stereo preamps (models 34 & 44) or some older Steinberger basses (with EMG electronics). There is certain center frequency, here 330 / 1k. When you boost bass, you cut treble and vice versa. You can not use that EQ as a booster (both full) so "smile" type of equalization is not possible. I like it because it gives lots of power in one single knob without overdriving the amplifier.

http://www.quadrevisie.eu/quadrevisie.html

Have to say that the Stella ("Star") is interesting...

derrière!
There I was happy to have determined that I need to be getting an ovnifx smoothie to replace my rack comp moving forward.

Now the bigger one of these really does look rather like my personal wet dream of a compressor (if only it was optical, that would be it, kidney selling time)....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 51m0n said:

derrière!
There I was happy to have determined that I need to be getting an ovnifx smoothie to replace my rack comp moving forward.

Now the bigger one of these really does look rather like my personal wet dream of a compressor (if only it was optical, that would be it, kidney selling time)....

Although I might not regard you as a leading light on D class amp choice 😂 when it comes to comps, that's another matter entirely.

Very unhelpful (on my wallet) to see you getting so excited about this piece of kit!

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Although I might not regard you as a leading light on D class amp choice 😂 when it comes to comps, that's another matter entirely.

Very unhelpful (on my wallet) to see you getting so excited about this piece of kit!

Teehee, you should hear the rig matey, last rehearsal was such a blast, gobs of power, and so so clean (nomnomnom). But I digress, I'm excited to see something that is so well specced, if I had any say I would move the ickle switches and knobs well away from the main footswitch though - I am far too likely to utterly trash it all in a stompy moment of madness - other than that it looks like a great clean sounding compressor; I like those LEDs a lot!
The bigger version really floats my boat though, because I like having proper control of attack and release (honestly once you 'get' compression you start to realise that the real power is in the attack/release curves).