Why become a member? ×

1964 Fender Musicmaster

nugget

Did you even get Musicmaster basses in 1964? In any case, they would have a different headstock logo and different tuners. Although the finish looks in good nick, it's had a replacement pickup and a thumbrest fitted in a rather unusual place which will have made holes where they can't be covered. Price is maybe a little optimistic.

[quote name='neepheid' post='345984' date='Dec 4 2008, 11:28 PM']Did you even get Musicmaster basses in 1964? In any case, they would have a different headstock logo and different tuners. Although the finish looks in good nick, it's had a replacement pickup and a thumbrest fitted in a rather unusual place which will have made holes where they can't be covered. Price is maybe a little optimistic.[/quote]
No, according to the Fender Bass Book,the Musicmaster Bass wasnt released until 1971! -- although the Musicmaster guitars were released in 1957.

Will

[quote name='neepheid' post='345984' date='Dec 5 2008, 12:28 AM']Did you even get Musicmaster basses in 1964? In any case, they would have a different headstock logo and different tuners. Although the finish looks in good nick, it's had a replacement pickup and a thumbrest fitted in a rather unusual place which will have made holes where they can't be covered. Price is maybe a little optimistic.[/quote]

No, they didn't. This is a common mistake with people selling "60s" Musicmaster basses. The Musicmaster guitars date back to the 50s, so people seem to assume that the basses date back that far as well. In fact, Musicmaster basses were only available from around 1970 (I can't remember the exact year, but it's very close to this).

I had a dealer in Lisbon try to flog me a "1962" Musicmaster bass!! When I told him that that was impossible, he then told me it was a prototype. I then pointed out that I'd actually owned the bass in question previously, and that when I'd owned it, it had a different neckplate on it! He was not a happy bunny! :)

EDIT: Looks like 2x18 beat me to it with some more accurate info.

Edited by bassaussie

OK, checked my facts and for once they're good (although some sources say the Mustang was introduced in '67). The Musicmaster Bass was marketed as the 'Mustang's Little Sister' and was introduced in 1971.
Not sure how we'd know if that's a replacement pickup (or perhaps your screen's better than mine) and that does seem to be where a lot of players place their thumb rest!
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='346130' date='Dec 5 2008, 09:17 AM']Not sure how we'd know if that's a replacement pickup (or perhaps your screen's better than mine) and that does seem to be where a lot of players place their thumb rest!
Chris[/quote]

I only see 4 pole pieces and some sort of logo printed in white underneath them which probably means that it could be a Seymour Duncan SCPB or it could be a Vista-tone one out of the short lived Squier Musicmaster reissue. If it was an original pickup with the cover missing then it would have 6, as they used a guitar pickup on Musicmasters.

Sensible place for a thumbrest or not (I wasn't disputing that) - drilling holes in a vintage bass reduces its value, hence my point about the price being optimistic.

[quote name='neepheid' post='346147' date='Dec 5 2008, 09:35 AM']I only see 4 pole pieces and some sort of logo printed in white underneath them which probably means that it could be a Seymour Duncan SCPB or it could be a Vista-tone one out of the short lived Squier Musicmaster reissue. If it was an original pickup with the cover missing then it would have 6, as they used a guitar pickup on Musicmasters.

Sensible place for a thumbrest or not (I wasn't disputing that) - drilling holes in a vintage bass reduces its value, hence my point about the price being optimistic.[/quote]

Agreed, all points taken, although I doubt it's a vintage bass :)
Chris