Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Andyjr1515 meets his Nemesis?

Andyjr1515

8 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Roughly where will the strap button go on this design?

@fleabag is right.  It is when it's complete and you can feel the weight distribution.

My guess, if an edge button is what's wanted would be roughly where the chalk mark is.  But with the whole of the horn sweep beng in ghe 'goldilocks' zone, it will balance wherever.

There is the option to put it a the back too, which pulls the bass a little more vertical.

I've seen some ideas in the thread about how to transfer the neck shape to the top horn,  and wrapping around the neck, etc.

I was just wondering if a profile gauge would be any use ?  You've probably already thought of this,  and i havent a clue if this is useful or not ?

I maybe barking up the wrong tree / accidently  falling down the wrong stairs

profile gauge.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fleabag said:

I've seen some ideas in the thread about how to transfer the neck shape to the top horn,  and wrapping around the neck, etc.

I was just wondering if a profile gauge would be any use ?  You've probably already thought of this,  and i havent a clue if this is useful or not ?

I maybe barking up the wrong tree / accidently  falling down the wrong stairs

profile gauge.jpg

Used one when Andy needed the profile for my Psilos bass

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fleabag said:

I guess it maybe no good for what Andy is trying to do, as he would have already thought of this , now knowing he's already got one of these fangled objects 

Sorry for the delay in my reply - one of those weekends!

Yes - other than mine is red, I use a profile gauge just like this to take shapes of neck profiles and body shapes :)

And yes, it will be an essential tool for your job.  So actually great thinking, @fleabag;)

Hoping that the purpleheart is going to arrive today!

• Like 1

And the purpleheart has arrived:

_MG_7730.thumb.JPG.f60c6441ae4d7eb0b07e2405db3dd897.JPG

The colour deepens and brightens as it is exposed to light and the finish is applied and this is exactly the same as the timber used in my Swift Lite build which came out like the previous photo I posted:

_MG_4219.thumb.JPG.fdeace264197a712e5c898a23452d4a4.JPG

And actually - I reckon that back wood is also exactly the same wood as I will be using!  Same plank unless I'm mistaken.

So no excuse now but to start sharpening the tools and get cutting (other than grandparenting duties, of course!)

• Like 1

The decking in our garden is purpleheart. Looked stunning when it first went down, but it has gone back to a silvered grey. When I give it the annual careful pressure wash you still get the purple come through a bit, but the decking oil can't hope to preserve it against the weather.

Bloody heavy stuff - particularly when in 3m lengths....

4 hours ago, RichardH said:

The decking in our garden is purpleheart. Looked stunning when it first went down, but it has gone back to a silvered grey. When I give it the annual careful pressure wash you still get the purple come through a bit, but the decking oil can't hope to preserve it against the weather.

Bloody heavy stuff - particularly when in 3m lengths....

Gosh - that's posh for decking! :D

I've come to the conclusion that most woods used in decking, benches, fences, etc, all end up silvery grey in the garden!  Certainly ours has - pine, teak, oak, sapele.  It all looks the same - silvery grey.  Matches the sky...

Luckily, treated and indoors, purpleheart seems to hold its own.  Just taken the above guitar off the wall to see what it's like a year or so since I made it:

The body area - varnished in Osmo polyx - is actually quite pinky purple - pretty much the same as when I first did it:

_MG_7737.thumb.JPG.22818785fced3b888f70cc9fff5fadd8.JPG

The neck and back of headstock - tru-oil slurry-and-buffed is more purple and probably deepened a touch over that time.  But happily, not silvery grey :)

_MG_7739.thumb.JPG.396664ae2ee197c503c3a80f13537d3b.JPG

It's funny stuff, though.  When you first machine it, it goes completely brown.  Then, when the light gets to it - and then particularly when you add varnish/oil to it - the full colour comes out.  On your decking, after you've pressure washed it, try a little test patch with some decking oil (if you don't already).  You might find that the full original colour is restored.

The other thing (in between the young baby grandparenting duties) that I've managed to do this morning...no, let me correct that - the ONLY thing I've managed to do this morning, is get out the Sapele from the shed.  And hmmm...it looks awfully like mahogany to me in this state.  Anyway, it's off the same plank so it should look pretty close to the above when it's been through the thicknesser and had finish applied.

_MG_7736.thumb.JPG.1eb731fa03a62a05cd8f43e7cfa854dc.JPG

This afternoon I'll be attempting to cut out the full-size cartridge paper templates of the new outer shape...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

That is awesome ! One of Andy's, Mick ?

Yes - it's the back of my Swift Lite 6 string electric build.  It's my go-to gigging guitar:

_MG_4268.thumb.JPG.b0b277d04dd83b6936fe219ea4e596f3.JPG

_MG_4276.thumb.JPG.e168f3d37a2fec40277bbe3430b424cb.JPG

It's a 6 string electric version of the piccolo bass I built for Pete, our band's bassist:

_MG_1164.thumb.JPG.f859eab17ecf59d632dd2c439c997009.JPG

The electric is 5.75lbs  and the piccolo bass is 5.5lbs

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1